Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IR remote stopped working - TS help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm a bit stumped on what my next troubleshooting step should be.

I'm on Arch Linux, just updated a couple of days ago after not having done so for about a month, and my remote stopped working after the update.

Confusing bit #1: the update didn't actually update xbmc or lirc. (It did update X, though; only lead I have.)

Confusing bit #2: none of the config files seem to have changed. (Though after triple-checking to make sure they were still correct, I went ahead and recreated Lircmap.xml. No change.)

Confusing bit #3: irw works perfectly, all keys register. However, evdev and ir-keytable both don't give me anything back, no matter which "event" device I pick. EDIT: sorry, that was unclear. ir-keytable identifies my receiver just fine. ir-keytable -t --dev=(event device) returns no data for any of the listed devices, though.

I thought since irw worked, xbmc would work with my remote as long as my Lircmap.xml was correct, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And I don't know why none of my event devices are returning data, though I also don't know how that's relevant to xbmc.

Any advice on what I should look at next?
OK, update:
turns out that if I use RC-6:
Code:
echo rc-6 > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
Then XBMC recognizes some basic keypresses, but it ignores the Lircmap.xml file (meaning most of my keys don't work, outside of directionals). ir-keytable -t also works. irw does not, unsurprisingly.

If I force LIRC:
Code:
echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
Then irw works fine, but ir-keytable -t no longer does and XBMC doesn't either.

I'm guessing XBMC needs those events that ir-keytable is also able to read, from /dev/input/event*, and either it used to recognize lirc as a different source but no longer does or lirc used to create events in /dev/input/event* and no longer does. Either of these make sense?