Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Weird Raspi/laptop playback problem! Need help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

After a friend told be about XBMC 2 months ago, I dived into it and I'm absolutely loving it!!! I had a nice setup where I downloaded TV series to my W7 laptop, which is on the same network as my Raspi (Openelec), and I watched them via XBMC. Since I have max 100 gb free on my laptop I use my 1TB AC Ryan as a HDD which is linked to the Raspi via USB. So far, so good and everything worked fine...the friend helped me with the setup since I'm a total n00b!

However, two weeks ago I moved to my new house and tried setting up everything again! It seemed to be working fine, I can watch everything on the AC Ryan/ HDD perfectly but for some reason i cant play any videos/series that are on my laptop! So i figured it might have something to do with the Raspi/laptop network connection, but the strange thing is...XBMC does see the files on the laptop and XBMC even adds them to my library nicely! I just cant watch any of them! If the connection is wrong...how can XBMC put them in the library? Better yet...I have trailers enabled for movies and those .mov files are in the same movie maps on the laptop. XBMC doesn't play the .mkv/.avi movie files but it dOES play the .mov trailer files..... What is going on here?? I did try to remove/remake the shortcuts to the laptop folders and rebuild the whole library agin...same result! Any suggestions?

Btw I am a beginner/n00b so try to keep it simple! =))
Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
debug log (wiki)
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=77297

Thanks for the reply! Was afraid you might ask for a log file, since I didnt know how to get one, but that guide helped tons! I tried looking into it myself, but I'm clueless! =)) What I did was restart, try to play a movie, which is on the laptop, directly...didnt work! Then I went to the movie detail page and clicked on the trailer, which played fine! After that I tried to watch the movie from the movie detail page and then the error occured! I did the same for a serie episode...same error! I was amazed how large the log file is for only 1 minute of action! =))

Hope this can give you guys some more info!
I expect your laptop has a different name or ip address on your new lan setup. Is it still called LAPTOP-JOOST?

The movies will still be in your database - they don't get deleted just because you moved house. But if the link to the laptop is different for some reason - eg a change in name or ip address, then the actual playback will not work.

I think the trailers are sourced from youtube or something, so they will still be accessible.
The laptop is still named the same, so that probably aint the problem! The ip adres is probably different and I figured this might be a problem! I do understand the movies still being in the xbmc database but if there is a connectivity/permission problem, I don't understand why xbmc is still picking up NEWLY downloaded movies/series and puts them in the library, but I cant play them! I thought about the trailers being youtube links or something but I checked and they're actual 70 MB .mov files that are fysically in the movies folder! And they play fine...!

I looked a bit further in the log file and find a lot of "permission denied" but not why its denied! I also cant find anywhere in xbmc the place to change the ip adres of my LAN setup!
Ahh weird indeed.
(2013-10-31, 03:17)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh weird indeed.

Haha...I wasn't lying!! Huh
At a filesystem level, to scrape all you need to do is list a directory and then scrape all the filenames you find.

To watch a movie you need to open the file (as opposed to read the directory).

Ownership and permissions on windows are a mystery to me. However I know when you join a new network (like at your new house) you have to choose whether you are on a home or office network and some network stuff gets set or reset as a result of what you choose. In other words I think you need to look inside windows.
You might be right there! Problem is...permissions etc in windows are a mystery to me too! A friend set it up in my old house! He doesnt live near but I might need his help here! =((
On the laptop use explorer (not internet explorer!) to go to the shared folder. Right click on a movie that doesn't play and choose 'Properties' - look at the permissions.

Now right click on a movie that does play (ie a trailer) and do the same. Compare and contrast.
Yeahh it works again! You totally gave the right tip there buddy! I did what you said and saw that on the trailer file and the movie file there was a difference of the 'everyone' permission! I then added this to both of the maps and now everything plays flawlessly! So happy right now! Thanks a lot for your help!!!