Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Analog audio early
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

Up to now I've been using Openelec on my HTPC, connected with an HDMI cable to my TV providing Image & Sound
I just bought a Stereo Amp, so I decided to connect the analog output of my HTPC directly to the amp (I chose analog audio, and analog output in audio settings)

this causes the audio to be about 200ms early while watching a movie

I found 2 solutions
1) Connect my amp directly to my TV and not to the HTPC ==> sound now works fine
2) Delay audio by 200ms ==> action to be repeated every time I watch a movie

Both solutions don't really satisfy me, and make me feel something isn't straight... I've been looking around on the net and found this very old ticket:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5107
I'm not sure to quite well understand everything in there, and I definitly don't find a solution.

The funny thing (no it ain't actually very funny), I have the same problem with my provider's set-top box. These boxes mostly run linux underneath... I'm wondering if this is some kinda linux/codec problem? or is the problem totaly somewhere else...

For the moment I'll stick to my first solution, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this... And so I'll be really thankfull for any help
You can delay the audio for every movie by selecting "set as default for all movies" when you change the audio delay via the OSD.

FWIW I don't have this issue much with XBMC, but my Sat box (Sky+HD) suffers badly from lag even though both are connected in the same way (picture to TV via hdmi, audio to theatre amp via spdif). It's not an OS issue, rather that there is a delay as your tv processes the received video, hence audio is slightly ahead of video. You don't get the issue when you connect the amp to the tv because your tv automatically delays the audio to stay in sync.

As you only have a stereo amp, the simplest solution is to connect it to the tv and let the tv handle the sync.
Video and audio sinks connected via HDMI can expose audio/video latency in enhanced EDID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_di...ation_data
The problem is that even if this info was decoded by the drivers, it is currently not exposed to applications.
On my yamaha amp, I solved this by setting a universal delay in its menu settings, as like above, I was getting a similar delay across a number of sources. This may also be an option, and definitely helped with my cable audio sync.