Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some how to questions regarding iPhone and PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have XBMC on my PC and iPhone and their connected to the same WiFi.
Some things I would like to know how to achieve:

1) Be able to browse my files on the PC through the iPhone, my folders are nicely ordered already and I don't care for working hard to re-order things inside XBMC's Library. I can access the XBMC library through the iPhone - but not like I can access my folders on the XBMC on the PC itself.

2) Connect to the XBMC through the internet(not WiFi) when I'm away from the house('s WiFi)

3) Be able to listen to music on the iPhone in the background(meaning that XBMC doesn't have to my currently opened window-like you can do with the built-int music app in the iPhone)

Thanks in advance for the help Blush
1) Unless you add every folder you have to XBMC, you cannot browser those folders. If they are added to XBMC (even if only to the file listings), you could browse them. This of course is only true, if you want to use the iPhone as a remote. If you want the file listings actually displayed inside the iPhone-App, I'd guess you're out of luck. There are different solutions for this...

2) That is totally possible. You just have to route the port through (i.e. you need to configure your router to forward the necessary port(s) to your PC), then you can connect using your IP address (the one used for internet, of course). If you want this dynamically you can use services like dynDNS which will enable you to assign a hostname to the ip-address. However - since your IP might change often (24h disconnect, if that is still a thing), you'd have to update the record everytime your IP does indeed change. There are however routers which can do this automatically for you.

3) That is currently not, at least not that I know of, possible.
Thanks Henry Smile

1) I can browse the files using the XBMC that's on my PC, but not through the XMBC on my iPhone - no way around it?

2)I'll try that

3) that's a shame...
No problem!

1) Unfortunately I don't think so, because the XBMC on your PC does not expose the files through UPnP or similiar, they are not indexed, so only the local XBMC knows about those.