Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do you organize your movies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I am new to the forum and just started using xbmc on my HTPC. I have a question for you guys.
How do you sort your movies in XBMC? Do you sort them in different categories/genres or just one folder? Im looking for a good system to sort my movies and in XBMC.

I was thinking on sorting movies, f example childrens movies in their own list. and animation movies in their own list, documentaries and so on.
Please share your setups and ideas!

I hope people can come with some suggestions Smile
I break mine down into quality at the folder level then have each movie in it's own sub folder within the relevant quality and it's all sorted via some web based tools

Code:
Movies\
------\1080
-----------\Movie (Year)\
------\720p
------\DVD-RIP
------\BRRIP

and so on.. this makes it easier for me to manage HD / SD content and update as necessary

but for XBMC itself I just use \Movies as the source and import them all in one hit when necessary after a database crash / rebuild

At the end of the day it will come down to your personal preferences but at a minimum it's best to keep each movie in it's own folder including the year.

If you might also make use of DLNA devices aside from XBMC then grouping by file extension might be something to consider as it will group the extensions that DLNA can and cannot handle in separate folders.
Thanks for your reply. Anyone have different setup?
Code:
Movies\
-----------\Movie (Year)\
------------Movie-file-same-as-folder-name_flag_.ext

And 1080/720p is automatically handled tagged correctly, if I want to define if its a DVD BD etc just add right flag to Movie folder/filename Media_flags#Media_source (wiki) correct setting in XBMC is also required Settings/Videos#File_lists (wiki) since storing them in BD or DVD folders doesnt make it show up in XBMC correctly as what they are without adding flags to filenames.

and thats simple and easy to maintain and flaawless when fienames follow the XBMC conventions Video_library/Naming_files/Movies (wiki)

What ardalista suggested is further segregation, simple but if you want the flags you need to also add them to filenames.
I sort all my movies and tv shows by rating.

For example:

\G
\PG
\PG13
\R
\XXX

\G\MovieName (Year)\MovieName (Year).mkv
\PG\MovieName (Year)\MovieName (Year).mkv

This works well to have different sources for different profiles, such as kids and adults. Just set up the folders with the appropriate ratings under the kids profile.

I also use Ember Media Manager to create the .nfo and download the poster and fanart for the movie/tv show.
\Movies (for adults)
\Family Movies (for kids)
\Holiday Movies (add to library during holidays, remove afterward)

I have a 3D folder as well, but that is not scanned in to library.
I use similar strategy as whitebelly.
\movies
\kidmovies

Then use smart playlists and login codes to keep the kiddies away from Freddie Krueger.
I Sort my movies by
/Horror
/Comedy
/Action
/Thriller
/TV Series

then I have a favorites folder where I keep all my favorite movies in
Thanks for your suggestions. I have found a setup that I am really pleased with now. What do you think.

Code:
I was thinking of sorting my movies in diffrent folders based on their quality. I Hope I have not forgotten any important folder here.

Movies\
------\1080p
------\720p
------\DVD-RIP
------\BRRIP
------\DVDR

Code:
I will then have following genre folders inside each of the quality folders:

------\Action & Adventure
------\Animations
------\Classics
------\Comedy
------\Documentary
------\Drama
------\Foreign
------\Horror
------\Kids & Family
------\Music
------\Romance
------\Sci-Fi & Fantasy
------\Short Films
------\Thriller
------\Western

Code:
My shows will be sorted in two different subfolders based on if they are still being broadcasted or not. The thought behind is that I can have frequent scan on the 'ongoing folder" and the "finished folder" I just have to scan manually when I have added new shows once and a while. That way there won`t be unessecary scanning when the tv show library get huge.

Shows\Ongoing\
------\The Blacklist\S01\
------\Game Of Thrones\S01
------\etc...

Shows\Finished\
------\Fringe\S01\
------\Breaking Bad\S01
------\etc...
Thars extremely unecessary, since xbmc will scrape and automaticaly sort by genres and 1080, 720, SD flagging. The only thing it wont do is tag bdrips dvd tv etc since like I pointed up above some flags need to be part of filename. All else is redundant and only really agreat deal of segregating and extra work that xbmc handles extremly well
However each to their own specially the o es with kids vs adults, that I see some use for.
(2013-11-06, 01:32)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Thars extremely unecessary, since xbmc will scrape and automaticaly sort by genres and 1080, 720, SD flagging. The only thing it wont do is tag bdrips dvd tv etc since like I pointed up above some flags need to be part of filename. All else is redundant and only really agreat deal of segregating and extra work that xbmc handles extremly well
However each to their own specially the o es with kids vs adults, that I see some use for.

Aha so all I need is a movie folder actually with the movies directly inside in its own folder with correct tag in filename?

would this be correct naming and tagging for The Hobbit if it is a encoded BD?

movies\the hobbit: an unexpected journey (2012)\the hobbit: an unexpected journey (2012)_bluray_.mkv?
Colons are not valid, simply leave them out. (They are an invalid filename character in windows, they are valid in unix/linux, but not in xbmc. I find that if I have colons in filenames, xbmc interprets the whole filename as a random string and scraping fails) So:

movies\the hobbit an unexpected journey (2012)\the hobbit an unexpected journey (2012)_bluray_.mkv
Yes like he said.
Thanks, then I understand. I see that it`s possible to arrange the folder, artwork, poster etc. before importing them into the library by using Ember Media Manager f.ex Is this a good way? Or should I do all managing in XBMC after importing?
I have never bothered with Ember etc. Xbmc copes fine downloading artwork and metadata if your files are named properly. For that I use filebot.
Pages: 1 2 3