Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WOW Cable System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have WOW as my internet and cable provider. The equipment they supplied allows me to stream media from my computer to my TV's using a third-party DLNA server downloaded onto my personal computer.

I have installed XBMC and the WOW system "sees" XBMC but I cannot play and content that I have added on. (I can watch videos on my computer through XBMC but cannot watch them on my TV's)

Thank you for your help in advance.
I dont use uPnP/DLNA or even know what equipment your ISP provides (likely some set top box), XBMC is not a server, only a client, so whatever media you have must be served via some 3rd party uPnP/DLNA server like eg. Mediathomb, whatever equipment you have XBMC is only a client so you need to setup whatever servers your equipment is compatible with.

You cannot use XBMC to serve media to your TV via DLNA, unless if you have a HTPC able to run XBMC plugged into your TV directly or your PC where XBMC is installed is plugged in via HDMI or VGA to your TV which I dont think it is.

Essentially your TV is only a uPnP/DLNA client so however you do it you cant have a client serve media to a client
If XBMC is not a server then that could be the problem. WOW lists the following servers as compatible: PlayOn, TVersity, TwonkyMedia, and Windows Media Center.
You need to setup the server properly (proper networking/subnet etc), nothing to do with XBMC as I understand your setup) your server needs to see the TV as a client and the client (your TV) must see the server.
Look at UPnP/Server (wiki) turn on Share video and music libraries through UPnP, seems XBMC is a uPnP server too. Though in any case your tv should be able to play the media the upnp server you setup with your equipment. If not you need to look at the server setup as well.

For a guide see HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP (wiki)
Yes XBMC will serve upnp, but unlike many other upnp serverrs will not transcode to suit the client. And TVs are notoriously non compliant in that they are very fussy about the formats and codecs they will support.