Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Poor Video performance / quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My specs are below.

The issue is with videos that have straight edges. For example doorways, Desks etc. When the camera pans straight edges become out of focus or You can see ghosting either side of the "main" edge this also happens with fast moving objects for example, heads moving and hand movements. It is very annoying the videos otherwise play fine picture is clear other wise.

Happens with 1080p TV shows and fims and everything below. However it is a lot less noticeable on full 50GB BR rips

I have tried all rendering methods and DVA2, same problems. I have tried turning on full deinterlacing however the video stutters so much it is unwatchable.

XBMC Frodo
Windows 8
no GPU using built-in processor
Intel 3.4Gz i5 k latest gen
Well , this is normal behaviour when watching a movie with a refreshrate @ around 24hz.
U can disable " adjust Display to Match Video refreshrate" and play them in 60hz. This way this jittering effects will be a little less, but u have to live with the 3:2 pulldown stuttering in slow panning scenes.
So Its up to u...which setting u prefer...
Thanks for your reply. That is helpful, but a shame i did want videos to look a fluid as watching "normal" TV. Would a decent graphics card help with this?

But why wouldn't the display (55" led HDTV) match the sources refresh rate @ 24hz? And why would the issue not exist if I played a DVD through my PlayStation? surely if the refresh rate is the issue it should happen on all sources?

Thanks for your help sorry about all the questions trying to get to the bottom of it to see if I can improve it Smile
My english isn´t very well but i try to explain:
On most Blurays the video is encoded in 23,976hz (24p). So u will have ~24 frames or pictures in one second.
This is not enough to achieve a smooth fluid experience in heavy action scenes or when the camera in panning too fast.
So if you enable the setting "Adjust display to match movie refreshrate", ur TV will switch to 23,976hz/24hz and everything except heavy action scenes and fast panning scenes will be smooth.
If u disable this setting, ur TV will stay @ 1920x1080_60hz, but the movie does still only have ~24 fps. To get a refreshrate of 60hz the 3:2 pulldown is needed. The first picture will be displayed for 3 screen refreshs, the second picture will be displayed for 2 screen refreshs, and so on. So 12 of the 24 frames will displayed 3 times =36, and the other 12 will be displayed 2 times = 24. Add 36 and 24 = 60frames for 60hz. Problem is now: slow panning scenes will stutter.

We have this problem with every 23,976/24hz movie.
The movie industry know the problem and many newer movies doesn´t contain fast panning scenes and many heavy action scenes are in slow motion or so fast that the problem will not become very visible.

DVD is another thing, they are 25/50 or 30/60hz interlaced material. So when u put together this "half-frames" to one "full-frame" ( interlaced to progressiv convertion) u get 50 or 60 hz...
Many If not all new tvs have motion interpolation. This will calculate and insert more frames to achieve smooth playback. U can experiment with this, but it will generate other problems like the soapy effect or audio not in sync...
But the root of that problem is, that we only have 24fps on a bluray...
(2013-11-06, 23:15)bimme Wrote: [ -> ]Many If not all new tvs have motion interpolation. This will calculate and insert more frames to achieve smooth playback. U can experiment with this, but it will generate other problems like the soapy effect or audio not in sync...
But the root of that problem is, that we only have 24fps on a bluray...

Thank you for taking the time to explain that in detail to me. that's makes perfect sense Smile I have tested the motion settings on my TV it makes it smoother but to much distortion and artifacts.

Although I have the opposite. Straight blu-ray rips (the hobbit 40GB) I see NO problems with the video. but re-encoded Blu-rays it is there (worst on I,robot)

It is also very noticeable on 1080p TV shows which have been downloaded, so straight TV rips so blu-ray is not the source

Strange Sad
well, the hobbit is one of the "newer movies" i mentioned above. This movies mastering is quite perfect.
I-Robot is one of the older ones and was chosen to show the impact of motion interpolation in magazines and electronic markets very often. (have them both too)
One of the most annoying scenes i can remember of, is in R.E.D. with Bruce Willis, when the camera is panning across the snowy neighborhood at the beginning of the movie. BUT, this scene was very terrible in cinema too.
Thank you for your help. I guess i have to rely on movie studios to master them correctly. Such a silly problem which could have been avoided if they set blu-Ray standards correctly. Blu-ray at 60fps would have been perfect.

I guess I'll have to live with it especially on my old 80s movies.

Any tips on reducing this on TV shows?
are they encoded in 24hz too? u can check with hitting the "o" button during playback or using mediainfo...
do u have dropped/skiped Frames?
check if the tv is switching to the right refreshrate (50hz for 25hz content, 60hz for 30hz Content and 24 hz for 24hz content)
if this is working like it should, the Problem is the source.
only tip i can provide in this case is Motion Interpolation...sry