Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVD in MKV container: Why only DXVA mode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to all,
I have my XBMC setted with DXVA2 ON because I love the noise reduction filter of my ATI 7770 graphic card.

I essentially use my HTPC with BluRay files but I have some DVDs (PAL and NTSC) stored in folder structure.
When I play those kind of files XBMC works without DXVA and I use those settings to obtain a fantastic quality:

I miss a little bit DXVA denoising filter but the deinterlace and global quality are fantastic.

Anyway I've some PAL DVDs stored like MKV. I've created those MKV files with MakeMKV with the script AUTORIP DVD.
Well, when I play those mkv XBMC seems to works forcely in DXVA mode (look at the lower picture) ....

In this mode I've very low quality! Bad oblique lines and some stutter (like lost frames).

There is no way to fast deactivate DXVA when mkv is playing... I've to stop reproduction, go in the system settings of XBMC and manually deactivate DXVA.

This is very frustrating.
There is a way to tell XBMC to work with MKV interlaced files like it works with DVDs in folder structure?

many thanks.
A little precisation:

This BUG happens only with MKV files created from PAL DVDs (576i).
No DXVA mode if I play MKV files created from NTSC DVDs (480i).
What version of XBMC are you running?

I believe hardware acceleration was recently disabled for files containing MPEG2 which would include DVD rips, will try and find the PR as I'm not 100% sure.
Found it, PR3417 disables DXVA2 for MPEG2
Hi JJd, many thanks for your feedback.
I use Frodo 12.2 on Win 7 32bit

(2013-11-10, 17:26)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Found it, PR3417 disables DXVA2 for MPEG2

Excuse me but .. What is "PR3417"?
I read your link but I didn't find nothing to solve my problem... need some help.

thank you
(2013-11-10, 23:40)Lupin 3rd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi JJd, many thanks for your feedback.
I use Frodo 12.2 on Win 7 32bit

(2013-11-10, 17:26)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Found it, PR3417 disables DXVA2 for MPEG2

Excuse me but .. What is "PR3417"?
I read your link but I didn't find nothing to solve my problem... need some help.

thank you

It means that support for using DXVA for SD MPEG2 produced poor results when using non-complaint standards, so it was removed.
Not totally removed yet, piers.
Like I've described mkv of ntsc dvds are Ok, no Dxva.
But with mkv from Pal Dvds Xbmc is in error and active Dxva.

This seems a Xbmc bug.

I can make a test creating a 576i mkv using Dvdfab instead makeMkv...

Let you know.
I posted that as at the time I didn't know if you we're on Frodo or using one of the Gotham alpha's, that link shows that DXVA for SD MPEG2 has totally removed for Gotham.

The inconsistent behaviour you are seeing maybe one of the reasons it was removed.
ahh, Ok jjd.
So I have to migrate to Gotham ....
a question for you: Gotham support in this moment skins like aeon nox? or add on like advanced launcher?
(2013-11-11, 13:30)Lupin 3rd Wrote: [ -> ]ahh, Ok jjd.
So I have to migrate to Gotham ....
a question for you: Gotham support in this moment skins like aeon nox? or add on like advanced launcher?

You'll need to check the individual threads to find that out, a few skins have Gotham versions out.