Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: cant change resolution from composite output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
I purchased this box to run xbmc.
XstreamTec Linux XBMC Midnight M3 - IPTV Mini Web Streaming HTPC Media Player.

its running v 12 (Frodo)

just to be clear - this is the link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CA...escription

the box is connected to my television via a composite (i.e. red yellow white) connection not an hdmi box.
i had a similar box which used to run android, and that worked with this tv just fine.
However, when i power on the linux/xbmc unit i get a garbled screen (as if the resolution is too high for the tv, i can see the (garbled) xbmc logo). ive tried attaching the box (temporarily) to a friends hd tv to see the pucture (fine)but even changing the resolution in xbmc (which boots up fine) does not fix the problem. its fine when its connected via hdmi but the composite connection just gives out a garbled screen.
is there a way i can ssh into the unit (it gets on the network fine) and change a resoution setting not normally available via the xbmc menu. im not after a sky high resolution, just want the box to work with this old television. I'm hoping its not a hardware issue - as the same box ran android no problem, but i didnt like android as an os and would be happier using this linux/xbmc setup,
any help appreciated.
mark
Sounds like a refresh rate issue, rather than resolution.

If you can SSH in (no guarantee that it will have SSH access) then you can use xrandr with no parameters to see the available resolutions/refresh rates for each available output.

Code:
xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-I-2 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 380mm x 300mm
   1280x1024      75.0*+   60.0  
   1024x768       75.0     70.1     60.0  
   800x600        75.0     72.2     60.3     56.2  
   640x480        75.0     72.8     60.0     59.9

You can change resolution and or refresh rate by for example
Code:
xrandr --output DVI-I-2 --mode 1024x768 --rate 60

Changing xrandr this way will only last until you reboot, then your settings will be lost and you will have to do it again or edit ~/.config/monitors.xml when you find what works.

Of course xrandr may not be installed depending on how cut down the linux OS is.
thanks for your help. looks like the box doesnt have ssh access however Sad(

Mark.

id agree that it does sound like a refresh rate issue, and i noticed that the 2 options via the gui are 50hz and 60hz. both should have worked with my (old) tv, and at the very least the 50 should work.
sadly i reckon that if i did manage to get into the box via ssh, id just have these 2 refresh options available.
surprised that no one else has noted this issue, as i have 2 of these boxes and get the same issue on both -i guess almost everyone uses hdmi.
Hmmm, not surprisingly really. You could try running a port scanner against it to see if there are any services (maybe telnet ?) running on it but I wouldn't be holding my breath for it to be.
cheers. yes i did think of running nmap against it but even if ports were open there'd be the problem of passwords etc.
will keep looking however -
Ask the vendor or manufacturer for help.