Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Official Add-On Website- issues and suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(2013-12-16, 17:05)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed that my Plugin Slideshow Screensaver addon doesn't display in the Screensaver category, although it does show up in the list of my addons.
Hi ruuk,
that's because you have two extension points (screensaver and service) and we currently only support one main extension point in our DB structure. In your case the later is overwriting the screensaver one, so your screensaver is showing up in services atm. Will fix this to prefer the first one.
(2013-12-17, 11:15)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-16, 17:05)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed that my Plugin Slideshow Screensaver addon doesn't display in the Screensaver category, although it does show up in the list of my addons.
Hi ruuk,
that's because you have two extension points (screensaver and service) and we currently only support one main extension point in our DB structure. In your case the later is overwriting the screensaver one, so your screensaver is showing up in services atm. Will fix this to prefer the first one.

XBMC add-on manager also prefers first one so that makes sence
fixed Smile
Are there any plans to include the WIP skins on the addons page at some point (with a disclaimer obviously)?
(2014-01-21, 20:00)thedeadman Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any plans to include the WIP skins on the addons page at some point (with a disclaimer obviously)?

Not unless they are submitted to the official repo.

I am planning screenshots though for current skins. We just need to standardize the metadata a little.
I was actually thinking of featuring some up and coming skins on the front page news item at some point.

Might be a nice prelude to Gotham being released.
Good idea, i'd +1 that.

Just to clarify, when you say 'not unless they're on the official repo', does that include the official skin dev repo?
Not that I am aware of.

This is the source of the data from the frontend:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/frodo/addons.xml
Thanks - yeah - they're not included.

I feel this is worth opening up for further discussion.

Given that inclusion of a WIP skin on the skin development repository is controlled by Team-XBMC and demands a certain degree of completion and commitment from the skinner, it strikes me that not including those skins on the frontend site (and to invite review and contributions to the forum) is rather remiss.

For one, it's a clear indicator of ongoing active development and the open nature of the XBMC project.

Just a thought :-)
in order to bring addons that are still in development to the addon frontend too many things would have to be changed to make it work nicely. We most likely have to deal with duplicate addon IDs, need user specific settings to show/hide beta addons, decide if those should show up in "recently added" and "newest" addons etc.
So for this to get in the whole architecture of the addon-frontend needs some major refactoring.
Indeed, there are far more important things to work on before that happens.

Stuff like screenshots, reviews and a move to a new PHP framework will have to come first.

Da-anda has recently done some great work adding numbered paging to the list view and the beginnings of support for multiple repositories.
Hi Da-anda,

I do appreciate the point you are making.

Just to be clear, i'm not talking about addons in the ultimate sense - just the WIP skins in the repo outlined here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159372.

To my knowledge, there is no equivalent repo for the other types of addons (I for one do not consider a skin well described as being an addon, but that's a conversation for another day!) I would not wish to set the addon-frontend awash with half-formed thoughts and buggy betas.

Clashes of addon ID's need not be a problem as a single skin cannot / should not be in both repo's at the same time. As both repo's are controlled by Team-XBMC, mandating certain ID practices for the benefit of the frontend shouldn't be too difficult. A simple flag in the final XML feeding the frontend could indicate their status (beta etc) - anyway you catch my drift..

I highlight this in the knowledge that developing and contributing a skin takes a considerable investment from your user community. In many cases it is years of work.

I do strongly feel that supporting the up and coming skinners is worthy of a bit of extra effort, and presenting the more advanced ones on the front-end is a solid motivator. Far too many skinners simply give up.
this could better be solved by simply doing a blog post showing the WIP skins that are in that repo.
it would get way more exposure.
(2014-01-22, 16:05)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]this could better be solved by simply doing a blog post showing the WIP skins that are in that repo.
it would get way more exposure.

Yep, I'll take this job on
(2014-01-21, 21:23)zag Wrote: [ -> ]I am planning screenshots though for current skins. We just need to standardize the metadata a little.
(2014-01-22, 15:58)zag Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, there are far more important things to work on before that happens.

Stuff like screenshots, reviews and a move to a new PHP framework will have to come first.
Any news or plans for adding video previews of skins and all the other addons?

Video previews on the Addon Website and in XBMC Addons Manager would be cool for visualizations, screensavers, and others too.

It could maybe using embedded links to YouTube and/or Vimeo videos?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19