Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Noob Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a couple Raspi's running XBMC and wanted a bit more, so I just completed 2 Hi-end HTPC builds. Very nice 8-Core systems with it's primary focus on Hyperspin.
I've got XBMC setup with all the needed plugins, but would like to also have local live HD TV channels. I live in the US so ATSC would be the primary tuner I'm looking for.

Will ANY usb HD TV incorporate in to XBMC or are there specific supported models?
So long story short you need a back-end like MythTV or Windows Media Center or NPVR to setup live TV so the question really is will the usb HD TV incorporate with that system not XBMC direct.

I personally use the HD Homerun from solicondust and used it with NPVR and MythTV and love it.

You can watch TV wit the HD Homerun without MythTV or NPVR as a back-end but you lose the EPG and ability to setup recordings essentially you can tune a channel and that's it.
Isn't Mythbox used to organize your recordings. I'm not interested in PVR, only live local channels.
MythTV is an application that runs under linux that can record tv and allow you to watch/pause live tv.
mythbox is an addon for XBMC that allows you to talk to a MythTV backend to do what I mentioned above.

If you only want live TV and no EPG (electronic program guide) or be able to record TV than you can get an HD Homerun or other network based TV streamer and add .strm files to XBMC to watch live TV.

I do not know of a USB HDTV adapter that you can plug into XBMC and be able to watch live TV.
PVR functionality also covers the pause, FF and rewind functions that you may find useful. It's not just about recording shows.

That said, I'm using two HDHomerun Duals with Argus TV as my backend. Works great.

But honestly, if you don't need any of the extra features, I'd almost suggest what I'm about to suggest to my roommate - just use a TV as a monitor and switch over to watch tv. My second display is a tv and most of the time I just watch tv direct from the antenna, not through the computer. I only watch through XBMC when I want to make use of the pvr features.

I understand the desire to have it all together (my endless RG6, components and distribution amp can attest to that) but I wouldn't trade my "vanilla tv" for anything.
You can use HDHomeRun for live TV in XBMC without having to set up a backend.