Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for old people on TV too complicated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear All,

i am trying to let my grandmother to watch some TV Programs over the internet which she cant get here where we live.

I decided to buy an android tv stick (minix, nice hw). After playing around and generally feeling it is too complicated i installed XBMC for android and the lambda addon for greek tv. I am new to XBMC myself. But this setup is still way too complicated, sometimes even for me. I already discovered the Favorites Section but i cant add anything to this.

What i really need for my grandmother is a startscreen with no more than about 9 Entries. These Entries should direct go to the live stream, which is hidden under Video/addons/somestation/somethingelse/live Stream.

I already googled and tried some skins but didn´t found something useful.

Can somebody help me? Thanks!
(2013-11-16, 11:45)Alvis333 Wrote: [ -> ]Dear All,

i am trying to let my grandmother to watch some TV Programs over the internet which she cant get here where we live.

I decided to buy an android tv stick (minix, nice hw). After playing around and generally feeling it is too complicated i installed XBMC for android and the lambda addon for greek tv. I am new to XBMC myself. But this setup is still way too complicated, sometimes even for me. I already discovered the Favorites Section but i cant add anything to this.

What i really need for my grandmother is a startscreen with no more than about 9 Entries. These Entries should direct go to the live stream, which is hidden under Video/addons/somestation/somethingelse/live Stream.

I already googled and tried some skins but didn´t found something useful.

Can somebody help me? Thanks!

So basicly you want a start screen to only Show content from one specific Add-on?
In that case you will have to edit the skin of your choice as there is no skin today that does this.
Use a skin like Bello that allows custom menu items, add the streams to favourites then add them into the menu and use menu display options to remove the entries you don't require.
(2013-11-16, 13:32)UKVaper Wrote: [ -> ]Use a skin like Bello that allows custom menu items, add the streams to favourites then add them into the menu and use menu display options to remove the entries you don't require.

Ok, so it seems that searching for a different skin is the way to go. Bello is broken on Android, i had a hard time to change the skin back to default. It´s difficult to describe whats wrong with bello but you cant proper select the menu items and "back" doesn´t work.

What is very good with bello is the fullscreen favorites Screen. Somebody can recommend me another Grandmother compatible Skin with big Favorites Screen?

Thanks a lot!

PS: editing the skin by myself isn´t easy for me since it is on Android without even a touchscreen and me being new to xbmc.
Would have thought custom menu items are easier than having to go into favourites, one less key press and larger text size being the advantages. 'Confluence - modified' also has custom menu items.
Another possibility is to create an autoexec.py that launches that particular add-on. This way, when XBMC is started, it will go directly to that add-on's initial window. There's a risk that she may back out of the add-on and end up on the XBMC home page. However, you can map a keyboard or remote control key that she can use to restart the add-on as necessary.
Thanks for your input! As i said, i am very new to xbmc and so every idea which includes editing of configuration file or learning python is not that easy. Plus, it is on android and i can´t just start emacs. Next problem, adding something to favorites requires an longpress -- and this is not available without a touchscreen.

Next thing i will try is the "Confluence - modified" Skin if this is a Skin.
Aeon mq5
Hi I have a similar problem.

We need a Skin with the ability to disable Main menu items with subitems as main menu items. So Only TV/Movies are shown for example.
The navigation is AWFUL in typical Kodi skins.

Basically you need the following setup for SIMPLE users who cannot learn.

TV----------------------------------Movies---------------Advanced
Guide-----------------------------Files
Recordings---------------------

(Programs etc.. under advanced) -- directly clickable and without shrinking/expanding menus etc..

In fact that will do the job for my needs.
Ok look at experience 1080 skin you can almost disable all other setting you can then also download addon super favourites addon then you can make a folder then add everything you need to it and then pin it to the main menu so it would just be blank page with one icon press once then hit play
Take a look at CCM, it allows you to heavily customize the stock Kodi skin, I used it for the exact same purpose.

This version works with latest Kodi though it may not have all the features of the original CCM which no longer works.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212898
(2015-08-19, 13:43)muscleriot Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I have a similar problem.

We need a Skin with the ability to disable Main menu items with subitems as main menu items. So Only TV/Movies are shown for example.
The navigation is AWFUL in typical Kodi skins.

Basically you need the following setup for SIMPLE users who cannot learn.

TV----------------------------------Movies---------------Advanced
Guide-----------------------------Files
Recordings---------------------

(Programs etc.. under advanced) -- directly clickable and without shrinking/expanding menus etc..

In fact that will do the job for my needs.

You do know that it already has it ?
Go to System-appearance -skin settings-add-on short cuts
Fantastic replies guys
hello i am looking for the same thing , but my knowledge is limited..

could somebody share any skin has developed ? Alvis333 ? muscleriot

thanks in advance
I just wanted to agree with OP - this is in my humble opinion one of Kodis biggest issues. It's just not a very nice experience to use! O.O (I do love it! And the potential!)

Being pretty tech savy and all, working in a coding/CAD-world and with some pretty hardcore programs with a thousand times more options and menus and whatnots, I still think navigating the Kodi mediacenter has way to many pitfalls. The GUI is in most cases [EDIT:Removed alot of profanitites] .. unnecessarily complicated to navigate.

I took it upon my self to begin making the skin I wanted, but the learning curve is fairly steep. I am working on a skin that is oh so simple and intuitive yet provides more information than most. It needs a lot of coding to work as most of the built in functions just don't cut it, and I am just getting started (music and movies are nearly done). Yay me.

Edit:Sorry. I didn't read the entire thread. Heck, I barely read OP.. I guess I wented a bit of personal frustrations here... Seems to have ended happy for OP. Also thread was revived from.. before Kodi?.. *blush*
Pages: 1 2