Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Game Emulators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I would like to turn my xbmc into a game center now.

I have no ROMs or Emulators at the moment nor do I know how to get them

I am running XBMC as a desktop, along with Ubuntu.

How do I go about setting up the emulators and ROMs and where should I get them from?

I would like to emulate as many thing as possible:
-Wii
-arcade games
-NES
-xbox
-PS
-PS2
-game boy (i want pokemon lol)

any help would be great I have no clue what I am doing.
bump
See item 1.1.6 in forum rules (wiki).
Easiest way is to try one of garbears builds. Look on the forum or use google to find a build with RetroPlayer .

His thread also has links to free and open source ROMs.
(2013-11-18, 09:13)Kib Wrote: [ -> ]Easiest way is to try one of garbears builds. Look on the forum or use google to find a build with RetroPlayer .

His thread also has links to free and open source ROMs.

I looked it up, still an confused.
one word: hyperspin.

more words Blush i'm currently setting up my htpc to also work as a game center. i'll be emulating over a dozen different consoles that will be controlled with Xbox 360 controllers. this project, if done right, can be extremely time consuming, so do a lot of research and make sure it's what you want. I already have multiple emulators and thousands of roms working perfectly and setting up the controllers to work exactly like the original console controller is easier than you might think.

I'm running windows and your thread was on linux. I originally built a hackintosh but went back to windows so i could accomplish what i wanted. one more thing to think about before making the jump. good luck.
(2013-11-18, 22:42)Odrax Wrote: [ -> ]one word: hyperspin.

more words Blush i'm currently setting up my htpc to also work as a game center. i'll be emulating over a dozen different consoles that will be controlled with Xbox 360 controllers. this project, if done right, can be extremely time consuming, so do a lot of research and make sure it's what you want. I already have multiple emulators and thousands of roms working perfectly and setting up the controllers to work exactly like the original console controller is easier than you might think.

I'm running windows and your thread was on linux. I originally built a hackintosh but went back to windows so i could accomplish what i wanted. one more thing to think about before making the jump. good luck.

thats what I want to do!!
I want to have a ton of games all being controlled from XBMC by xbox controller!
can i do that with linux?
It is possible with Linux but windows is best/easiest for gaming. Basically get the emulators running how you want them outside of xbmc from the command line, then use the commands from the command line in a add on such as advanced launcher or ROM collection browser (I personally prefer rcb for roms). Both addons have extensive wiki's and very helpful authors.
(2013-11-19, 03:53)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible with Linux but windows is best/easiest for gaming. Basically get the emulators running how you want them outside of xbmc from the command line, then use the commands from the command line in a add on such as advanced launcher or ROM collection browser (I personally prefer rcb for roms). Both addons have extensive wiki's and very helpful authors.

yeah I have tried that, failed miserably.
now my RCB wont even work, i cant configure it.
I'm no the best with terminal stuff

Does running XBMC on windows ok?
As far as i know, there is no hyperspin for linux. your best best would be to either dual boot your system but then you'd be going back and forth to run HS and XBMC, and yes XBMC runs great on Windows and you'd be able to run both XBMC, HS, and other great programs like Ember Media Manager or TheRenamer that are only for windows. You'll also need multiple other programs, some of which are only for windows, when setting up your emulators and/or roms.
(2013-11-19, 04:04)Odrax Wrote: [ -> ]As far as i know, there is no hyperspin for linux. your best best would be to either dual boot your system but then you'd be going back and forth to run HS and XBMC, and yes XBMC runs great on Windows and you'd be able to run both XBMC, HS, and other great programs like Ember Media Manager or TheRenamer that are only for windows. You'll also need multiple other programs, some of which are only for windows, when setting up your emulators and/or roms.

does hyperspin work along with XBMC?
(and no need to dual boot, ill just take the hard drive out of my roommates rig, I already have his graphics card in my rig, he hasnt figured that one out yet lol)

I might change my rig to windows now Sad
you can set it up so that it can be launched from the XBMC main menu.

lol well that'll work too! word of advice, i would set that linux drive that you have everything set up on to the side and experiment with windows and HS on a completely different drive so that in case you want to go back, it'll be a lot easier to do so
(2013-11-19, 04:18)Odrax Wrote: [ -> ]you can set it up so that it can be launched from the XBMC main menu.

lol well that'll work too! word of advice, i would set that linux drive that you have everything set up on to the side and experiment with windows and HS on a completely different drive so that in case you want to go back, it'll be a lot easier to do so

true!
btw I know this is asking a lot, but can you send me those links and guides you use to set everything up?
im starting to work on this stuff now
(i have multiple computers)

(2013-11-19, 04:18)Odrax Wrote: [ -> ]you can set it up so that it can be launched from the XBMC main menu.

also do you have xbox and ps2 emulators?
Delete the rcb add on data folder in ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/ (or something along those lines, its from memeory)and start again.
I personally dual boot, windows for games and Linux for everything else, using xbmc for both. If you're interested I have a add on for rebooting once to another os via grub with no keyboard .

No Xbox emus that I know of but ps2 runs well
(2013-11-19, 04:23)dopeythatme Wrote: [ -> ]

true!
btw I know this is asking a lot, but can you send me those links and guides you use to set everything up?
im starting to work on this stuff now
(i have multiple computers)

also do you have xbox and ps2 emulators?

this is where the time consuming part comes in, there isnt really a step by step guide in setting it all up. the HS forums will be the best place to look and ask questions when you get stuck. to make things slightly more difficult, they recently made a huge and awesome update but it rendered the good guides that were around obsolete, even most youtube videos are of little use. Shoot me a pm and i'll give you more details on how to start.
Yes there are multiple xbox and PS2 emulators although it'll take a little bit more work to get them working with HS as only the older consoles are supported 'out of the box' with HS.
Pages: 1 2