Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC with surround sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

My sister just brought a pioneer HT system, which I believe is sold as 7.1 (although there is L/R front, L/R back, Sub and center speakers).

She runs XBMC off her laptop, using a 1.5mm jack to RCA (red/white) cable from her Laptop to the Unit. However in XBMC only the front L/R speakers are getting sound.

I changed the audio settings to Analog 7.1 in XBMC, as well as in Windows. But its still the same?

So my question is, is 7.1 (or 5.1 for that matter) possible with a RCA setup? If so, how would I go about setting this up? I'm essentially clueless as I have never worked with anything more than stereo for myself personally.

Cheers
no it is not unless the jack has digital audio option which i highly doubt.
so she is stuck with 2.0 audio
Ah ok, thats not good.

I'm looking into this then: http://www.smartdroid.co.nz/collections/...-quad-core

Would that be able to do 5.1 surround sound (I confirmed that it is infact 5.1).
Just get a cheap USB audio adapter to give you optical output.
Tried googling these, do you know any well known products of these?
I used this product for about 6 months on a laptop running windows 7 then windows 8 before building a dedicated system. It worked great and handled DTS 5.1 without a problem. Was really easy to setup, pretty much just plugged it in.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...=M501-4008

Now I use it in the bedroom to pass audio from an old laptop to the TV so I'm not stuck staring at a cable sticking out of the front of the laptop.
In short you can't get 6 or 8 channels out of a stereo analogue signal, unless there is some serious and quite guesswork upmixing going on by the soundsystem. The amplifier may be able to upmix a stereo signal to 6 or 8 speakers by copying, say front left|right to rear left|right, mixing left+right to centre, filtering centre low frequency to bass etc. Maybe adding some effects. There is some quite technical maths/electronics dreamed up by audio companies over the years. But it ain't gonna be fantastic. It ain't gonna be the original DTS or AC3 soundtrack. Gunshots ain't gonna pass through you from back to front. Aeroplanes are not gonna pass over your right shoulder and crash on the ground in front of you.

In short, for modern audio, get a computer (not an android computer) that does HD audio over HDMI, then plug it into your amplifier, then plug the HDMI out on your amp into your TV. Turn your TV speakers to zero volume. Turn your HD amplifier up. Annoy your neighbours/flatmates/parent/siblings who are sitting exams. Enjoy.