Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: : How do I delete a movie, its folder and associated fanart etc from my library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m a recent convert to XBMC and loving it and still learning so apologise if I’m asking something that’s already been covered. But I have searched and can’t find and exact answer to my issue.

Question: How do I delete a movie, its folder and associated fanart etc from my library from within XBMC .

I’m running Frodo v12.2 on Win7/8/XP, Android and Linux
My movie library has each movie in a separate folder that matches the movie title.

The reason I’m asking this is that I am setting up XBMC systems for friends and family (Very non-techie people) and I want them to be able to browse through their Library and delete anything they don’t want without having to use a ten-step process to get rid of a movie. I guess compared to most of you my library is small (contain 1500+ videos) but it takes me a lot of maintenance to keep in order and I don’t want to have to do this for everyone I setup.

I set them up with cut-down menu's and kiosk mode so they can't wonder off and destroy anything.

If they use “Remove from Library” on the context menu it only deletes the movie file and not the actual directory the movie resides in. The directory can contain upwards of 50-100MB excluding the movie file as I have trailers, fanart, posters, actors etc. Potentially it would mean gigabytes of redundant files left on the disk.
If they use remove from library it will not remove the movie file either, just the library entry.
To delete files from XBMC you need to enable deletion in settings and delete the folder from the file browser.

Alternatively set them up with a FTP / link to the folder / script to delete whatever they want.

Quote:I set them up with cut-down menu's and kiosk mode so they can't wonder off and destroy anything.
Yet you ask how they can get the option to delete everything Smile
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I have enabled deletion in settings and it only deletes the movie file. What I didn’t want them to have to do is “Remove from Library” then have to find the folder location which in some cases would be quite a challenge.

I'm not familiar with the FTP / link to the folder / script so I will look into this next.

Sorry I may have used the wrong jargon but when I say cut-down menu I mean their main menu has been simplified and only has Movies/Music/Pictures and System has been renamed to "Don't Touch" and kiosk mode enabled. With this they still have access to the context menu.

I don’t mind them deleting their own movies I just don’t want them changing settings or moving files around for example then I have to go clean it up.
You can't delete the supporting files if you are not in file mode, so they would need access to the file browser.

FTP access via a link on their desktop that brings em directly to the share might be easier.
Or a simple shortcut on their laptop that takes em to the SMB shared folder where they have deletion rights.