Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Seamless playback (will pay for development)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

- When having a playlist with a few moives - its a black screen showing for a around a second.

- Can someone develope a seamless playback feature? so there is no black/window blinking?

- Would gladly pay for this - if someone could add this?

- Joakim Plate had a brash were he was going to do this - but he does not have time for this - can someone else pickup were he left and finish this?

Thanks,

Best regards,
Johan

Edit by memphiz: removed email address...
Hard to do, you really need two instances of DVDPlayer and that mean if you are planning on using hardware decode, your decode must be able to handle two or more instances. The number of hardware decoders that are capable of doing this is very small.
Hi,

Came to this forum looking for this exact feature,
I am willing to put development effort on this, can someone give guidance or take me under their wing to help get through this.

from original post: 'Joakim Plate had a brash were he was going to do this - but he does not have time for this - can someone else pickup were he left and finish this?'
- what is this, would this still be available to work on ?

Thanks
Naresh
not sure but this might be the branch divisionmd was talking about:

https://github.com/elupus/xbmc/tree/seamless
Thanks Memphiz I will checkout the branch
Hi,
This is my first post on the forums, greetings to everyone!

I was looking for seamless playback/looping of video in Kodi, and looking through the threads it seems not yet supported. I tried it with the current development version, and there is a black flash when switching files.
I am programmer too, so I can look into doing something, but I'm not familiar with the sources and architecture yet.
If someone could give an update on the situation of seamless playback or the status of the above branch, or some pointers on where to start working on this, I'd much appreciate that!

Thanks in advance!
Better chance now than ever to get respons on this as team Kodi developers are currently planning large refactoring jobs around the video player and and rendering, see:

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=240

There is a good chance for you to at least get constructive feedback on ideas if you post your questions and concepts there now.
Thanks, I'll look around there.
As I read the refactoring is targeted for version 17, that I assume is rather far down the road.
I'd be interested in making something work sooner, so if anyone already put some effort into this, I'd gladly hear about it.
(2015-12-03, 20:59)Ignus Wrote: [ -> ]As I read the refactoring is targeted for version 17, that I assume is rather far down the road.
I'd be interested in making something work sooner, so if anyone already put some effort into this, I'd gladly hear about it.
Not absolutly sure if it is you or I who have misunderstood, but I think it is you who misunderstood it as I understand that they have already started the work on refactoring the video player and are working on that right now, both in code and concept ideas, just not in Kodi's upstream mainline tree but in their own forks on GitHub, like:

Suggest you maybe ask FernetMenta (Rainer Hochecker) and ask if it is his master, others, or which branches are relevant. Anyway, while the final release of Kodi v17 might be far of they are already working on features and refactoring jobs for v17 now in the background as v16 is in feature-freeze stage and is as such almost done except bug-fixes.

Edit: Looks like they are using FernetMenta's master, see commits and pull requests:

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/pulls

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=240
(2015-10-21, 11:33)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]@FernetMenta
is you master branch in a state where we could start providing public builds for OSX and Windows to get feedback for those platforms? Doing so might reveal some minor problems and gets it ready for merge in first 17 alpha. Once Android is build-able we can add that to the list as well in the test thread.
(2015-12-03, 20:59)Ignus Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I'll look around there.
As I read the refactoring is targeted for version 17, that I assume is rather far down the road.

what platform?
@RockerC:
Yes, I checked out the repos, FernetMenta's too, I am familiarizing myself with the code now.

@FernetMenta:
Windows and Linux preferably.
On Linux a black frame is rendered after renderer was configured
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/blob...L.cpp#L197

This was there before I joined this project. No idea why but I am sure this can be changed.

Is that what you are observing?
Most codecs take a bit of spin up time before they start delivering frames. DVDPlayer will hold off until both audio and video are ready (as signaled by the codec returning a picture. During this time, the choice was a) continue to show old screen content (icky) or b) switch to fullscreen and show black until DVDPlayer is ready. This is why you see black.

Also DVDPlayer does not support 'gapless', to do this, DVDPlayer has to have two video codecs created (the old and the new) and both running. You also have the issue that some hardware decoders only support one active at a time. So having two created AND running become problematic. So, DVDPlayer have to crank down playing the current content, then crank up the next. This cycle is not instant and also depends on sw/hw video codec.

However, when I was at Pivos, we did make some tweaks where the aml hw decoder/codec kept the last frame showing and then cranked up the next video. This gave the appearance of switching to new content without a flash of black. It was a hack that I don't think will work with other codecs.
(2015-12-04, 18:33)MrMC Wrote: [ -> ]Most codecs take a bit of spin up time before they start delivering frames. DVDPlayer will hold off until both audio and video are ready (as signaled by the codec returning a picture. During this time, the choice was a) continue to show old screen content (icky) or b) switch to fullscreen and show black until DVDPlayer is ready. This is why you see black.

This was really a long time ago. Codecs like vdpau or vaapi queue their frames for rendering. At the time new content is started and a new decoder is created, there are still a couple of old frames to render. That time is enough to make it seamless.
sure, sure Smile under vdpau or vaapi , which means linux, maybe. For the others, good luck.
Pages: 1 2