Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Homeseer as MySQL Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone familiar with using a Homeseer pre-installed box such as this one as an always on MySQL Server for library syncing? This is a potential solution I can see to my previous question around using a non-always on laptop as the MySQL server and thought that this device (if possible) could kill multiple birds with fewer stones. Please advise. Thanks.
Quote:Note that this unit uses HomeSeer's HSProtect system which protects the flash from writes. When adding any software to this system HSProtect must be disabled and the system rebooted. The system must be run with HSProtect enabled in order to protect the flash from too many writes.

Bad idea to run a database on a embedded system with WORM (write once read many) flash on it.
You would need to enable writes constantly or the DB would not work, this would wear the system down in a jiffy.

It is cool for home automation (where the config changes are rare, and the data is temporary and dynamic in ram) so you can read the state of items and see video feeds etc. Systems like this are normally used in control applications (factories etc), not as database servers.

Why not buy a small lowpower box and install linux and mysql on it ?
One of the cheaper intel NUCs would be way more suited for this work and still be a nice system, but it would be overpriced and overpowered as well.
A raspberry pi could do this easily for $50. And that's one tenth the price of that Homeseer box. The pi uses just a few watts, so if anything else beats that then the difference would be negligible.

If you're feeling adventurous you could even get a Pogoplug (commonly available in the $20 range) and hack it with Debian and MySQL:
http://www.adorama.com/COCPOGOP21.html?g...7AodUUoArQ
http://mehl.co/articles/installing_debia..._pogoplug/
Actually I would not recommend a Pi to run MySQL, especially if you have several machines accessing it at the same time.
Get a small box for 50$ that has a little bit more RAM than the pi, a slightly larger processor, but no hardware accelerated video nor GPIO headers Tongue
Really? For XBMC? I thought the load on a MySQL DB from XBMC was fairly trivial? Granted, mine happens to be running on a powerful Windows box, but I don't think I've ever seen MySQL use even 1% of CPU utilization.

That said, I would certainly defer to your opinion. I'm just a user, not a team member or developer.
Not so much CPU as RAM would be the issue. You would have to specifically optimise MySQL for a low RAM situation.

I do see some people using a pi as a mysql server and be happy with it. On the other hand I also see people use the pi to use as a main media centre and be happy with it, something I could never be Smile

Hey, team members are just people. I can be as wrong as the next guy.
No worries. I love trying to get raspberry pi's to push the limits! But it's not everyone's cup of tea. Anyway, it sounds like ironlion27 has a few options to consider here. Cheers!