Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC with Mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, all. I am aware of the issue with Samba and Mac OS.

I am running the latest version of OpenElec and Mavericks on Mac.

My question is how do I get XBMC to play nice with my media on my Mac. I know there are all sorts of protocols to accomplish this but as far as I've been able to gather, the Windows SMB way is best.

I can get XBMC to the right folder on my Mac but when I try to access that folder, it says operation not permitted.

I used SMBUp on my Mac and tinkered with it. I almost got it to work but every time I am going to add a folder, it asks for a username and password. I don't have one and even when I try to manage user and put one in, it still doesn't work on XBMC.

Question is "What is the best way to share media on my Mac with OpenElec XBMC?"

And can anyone please provide a step by step guide to doing so?

I feel like I get a little bit closer to 'getting it' every day with this amazing thing that is XBMC but for a complete noob, all I can say is WOW. If I didn't enjoy tinkering, I would likely have given up.

To get this ready for primetime with the family, it needs to be polished.

I need help with the polishing.

Please............
Have you tried NFS (wiki)? Some people have reported success with it.
(2013-11-25, 17:49)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried NFS (wiki)? Some people have reported success with it.

I looked into it but NFS seems to be a little bit beyond my ability. From what I gathered, it does not come enabled in Mac OS by default. The process to get it enabled seems a bit complex.

Can anyone provide a step by step guide to using NFS to communicate between XBMC and Mac OS? Including enabling it in Mac OS?

THANKS!!
(2013-11-25, 17:57)fdezarra Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone provide a step by step guide to using NFS to communicate between XBMC and Mac OS? Including enabling it in Mac OS?

THANKS!!

That's what the link was. The wiki guide for setting up nfs for Mac.
(2013-11-25, 18:35)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-25, 17:57)fdezarra Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone provide a step by step guide to using NFS to communicate between XBMC and Mac OS? Including enabling it in Mac OS?

THANKS!!

That's what the link was. The wiki guide for setting up nfs for Mac.

Note: The following assumes some basic knowledge of the UNIX/BSD operating system interface and environment, and assumes you are familiar with using a Mac's Terminal command-line utility. It also assumes you have a beginner's understanding of UNIX text editors such as nano or vi.

Thanks. I'd seen this but above is the warning that comes before configuring your Mac. I'm kind of nervous about it since I don't have that basic knowledge. Has anyone done this? Is it easy?
NFS Manager
It's shareware but there is no problem.Only when you run the program opening a window to remind you to buy.
It's easy to use and works very well.Try it!