Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how to copy from one gbox to another
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have recently bought two gbox xm2's one was strait from the manufacturer with and the other i bought from a friend "fully loaded" due to my lack of tech savy .....is there anyway i can copy or back up all the stuff on the fully loaded box onto a usb flash drive and install it all on the empty straight from the manufacturer boxHuh any help for this newbie is greatly appreciated....im lucky i can figure out how to turn this thing on lets put it that way lol
You need to copy the xbmc.org folder onto a USB . I believe it is located on Sda/Android/xbmc.xbmc.org. Then plug the USB into the new box and paste the file into the same directory and choose to overwrite. Have not done this on a Gbox but it works on others.
there is an xbmc program addon called xbmc backup. this backs up to your specified storage, all the items you want to backup (your backup list can be tailored). Once you have backed it up you can restore using the same app , but you will need to install this on the new box first. I have used this method a few times when cloning a basebuild box . Most of what you need is covered in the backup and restore but I have found things like 1channel library paths such as special://userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.1channel/tvshows do not get copied so you will have to recreate them. Also any changes to the android OS such as buffer size increases and vpn apps will nopt be copied so you will need to re create these. All in all it does save a fair amount of time when cloning a G-Box.
i know this is old, but im trying to save a copy of my kodi build before erasing it from my android box.
point behind this is to save the build that the box came with just in case it is modified by the manufacturer.

so if i do what jasonmb suggested, can i make a copy of my kodi and in theroy upload it to a android box that has no version of kodi installed on it or is this just to save the settings?

im also not using a gbox...im on a Z4