Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android app as a shortcut on main screen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All

I have a question I haven´t found an answer here yet. Using last version of frodo, everything works peachy. My MK803 (which btw works flawlessly) boots directly into xbmc, hides the status bar, etc. I have configured my main screen shortcuts on cofluence skin, but wonder if there is a way to put an app icon (specifically netflix) as a shortcut on the "programs" main screen, given that you cannot start an android app from "favorites" menu.

I´ve read on another thread that it may not be a good idea to start another app while on xbmc, but apparently multitasking works on my stick and does it very well. Ie: when exiting netflix I always go back to xbmc "android apps" page IOW xbmc does not reboot itself.

Hope I can make myself clear as english is not my main language.

Thanks in advance

Alex
I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a CX-919 that runs both XBMC (Running SBMC actually to get hardware acceleration) and netflix flawlessly. Problem is I want to have an icon on the front page somewhere to open the netflix app.

Tried adding to the favorites, but that doesn't work.

Come on guys! someone has to have an answer!
For the default skin, Confluence, it's possible to make dummy add-ons that link to a favorite or android app (which can be set as a favorite). It's a little easier in some other skins, since you can mark the android app as a favorite, and then use favorites for the home screen shortcuts/widgets.
(2014-01-31, 17:22)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]For the default skin, Confluence, it's possible to make dummy add-ons that link to a favorite or android app (which can be set as a favorite). It's a little easier in some other skins, since you can mark the android app as a favorite, and then use favorites for the home screen shortcuts/widgets.

How do I make a dummy app to launch the Netflix android program? Android apps do not launch through Favorites BTW with FRODO. You can set them up, but it doesn't work.

I found a project where someone made a video addon that is supposed to launch the netflix android app, but it doesn't work either. Is there something I'm missing?

BTW, if I go under 'Programs' then 'Android Apps', then click on Netflix, it works perfectly. I'm just trying to find an easy way for my family to access it, without having to look for it..
Hey Guys, I know this is a bit of an old thread but I could not find a solution to this so if anybody is still stuck this is the solution that worked for me. (This is for Gotham)
To create a favourites link to the Androids app add the following to /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/favourites.xml

<favourite name="Apps" thumb="/storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/backgrounds/simp/search.jpg">ActivateWindow(Programs,Android Apps,return)</favourite>

Then using your skin you can add this as an item on the homescreen.
If you want to add a particular application to the favourites add the following to favourites.xml

<favourite name="Getaway" thumb="/storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/backgrounds/simp/search.jpg">StartAndroidActivity("com.polarbit.Getaway")</favourite>

Where I have com.polarbit.Getaway just put in apks name without the .apk extention.
Hope this helps, to do this without having busybox installed or rooted system you could use "explorer" which is free, has a built in editor and can view hidden folders
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...e.explorer