Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: does xbmc replaces need for twonky to stream to samsung tv via netwok
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Community

I am building a small whs2001 system that I want to use for backing up data, recording tv via a low profile pcie dvb-s card and watch those videos on my lcd tv which is a samsung ue40c7700.
I came across the following problem. I have a video (avi/mpeg) sitting on the whs server and access it via the smart tv mediaplayer or I do it the other way by beaming the file via windows media player to the tv.
In either case I cannot forward or rewind within the film which I can do when I put the same video file on a usb stick directly into the smart tv.

I do not want to connect the pc via hdmi to the tv directly but find a stable way to access files stored on the whs server in the cellar on my tv.

Does this work natively with xmbc or is there a free program or paid program to install in addition to xbmc or as xbmc addon?
So far I came acros twonky media server or servio or mediamonkey.
thanks for any feedback in advance
If you have XBMC installed on a pc, you are able to stream your library content to your samsung tv as long as XBMC is running.
You do need to enable UPNP in XBMC : http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP/Server

When you've done that you can access the content by going to your smart hub on your samsung tv, go to multimedia, select videos and then your XBMC should be visible in the menu.
When playing content you're able to use your controls on your tv remote.
Some things to keep in mind:

Most smart TVs, bd players and AVRs support different file formats and playback features depending on if you play them via USB or DLNA, don't ask me why.

Secondly, the DLNA servers you mention support transcoding (realtime conversion of one format to another, if the format isn't supported by the DLNA client). XBMC currently does -not- support transcoding, so some files will simply not play on your TV when using XBMC as the DLNA server.