Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to add more fonts for subtitle.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone can help me.

I have a problem that subtitle which is suppose to display Thai fonts but become squares. I thought that the problem is caused by font available for subtitle which is limited to only aerial and teletext.ttf.

Then I would like to install additional font which supports Thai Language but don't know how to do that for XBMC which is installed on Android Set Top Box.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Burin H.
I use dirty hack, get arial unicode font and rename to arial.ttf. Then copy to your android xbmc userdata path (which probably different vary to devices)

For my ouya it is in /sdcard/Android/data/oeg.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/Fonts
Not 100% sure, but you don't have to rename the font anymore. I think I fixed that.
Just put any font where oldpoem said (oeg - > org, though) and select it in gui.
Another reason I use the hack is it would be use in some skin that has arial based settings. Or set to use arial.ttf as fallback when other needed fonts aren't installed. So it'd load the renamed fonts instead of default arial font. Very specific usage but I've done it this way for years...
(2013-12-11, 01:08)oldpoem Wrote: [ -> ]Another reason I use the hack is it would be use in some skin that has arial based settings. Or set to use arial.ttf as fallback when other needed fonts aren't installed. So it'd load the renamed fonts instead of default arial font. Very specific usage but I've done it this way for years...

I see that this has been covered several times but none very recently. Maybe the file path for installing Arial.ttf has changed or something?

I am trying to get Thai subtitles to work on XBMC on Ouya (confluence skin) but they are still just coming up as squares. I have downloaded Arial Unicode MS.ttf and changed the name to arial.ttf

As per two posters instructions, I have tried installing it in two locations (currently have it in both places):

"/sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/fonts" (If I remember right, I had to create both "media" and "fonts" folders, or maybe that was for userdata...)

and

"/sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/media/fonts"

Still just showing squares for subtitles though.

In XBMC setting/video/subtitles I have arial.ttf selected for "Font to use for subtitles"

For character set, "Thai (Windows)"

Under Appearance, I have messed with many settings under International and Skins but still doesn't help.

Is there anything else I have to do? Or did I follow outdated instructions? I see that there is another font "teletext.ttf" but that isn't located in either of the folders that I put this new font in. Shouldn't my new font go into the folder that contains the original arial and teletext fonts? Thank you very much for any help, and my Thai wife will certainly appreciate it as well.
Because it's android, folder name is case sensitive. It has to be "Fonts" not "fonts".
(2015-04-07, 20:45)oldpoem Wrote: [ -> ]Because it's android, folder name is case sensitive. It has to be "Fonts" not "fonts".

Thanks for that but still no luck. Still getting squares for sub characters. I changed both folders to "Fonts" with a capital. Could the problem be that I have this arial font in two locations? Surely not, right?

Can i verify a few setting with you:

-Under "Settings/Appearance/Skin", should Fonts be Arial based or Skin default no caps, or skin default?

-Under "Settings/Appearance/International",
-character set is "Thai (Windows)", correct?
-preferred subtitle language is Thai, correct?

-Under "Settings/Videos/Subtitles"
-Character Set is "Thai (Windows)", correct?
-Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts, NOT selected, correct?
-Subtitle folder, "blank..."
-Subtitle location "Fixed"
All correct, arial based and named it "arial.ttf" . It need to be in media/Fonts not the userdata one. You can copy as ArialUni.ttf and select it from subtitle font setting but this way filename still unreadable (If it's in thai) but subtitle playback will be fine.

And my arial unicode is around 20mb in size make sure you got correct one.
I have the same problem with Japaneses subtitle,sad
(2015-04-11, 19:15)oldpoem Wrote: [ -> ]All correct, arial based and named it "arial.ttf" . It need to be in media/Fonts not the userdata one. You can copy as ArialUni.ttf and select it from subtitle font setting but this way filename still unreadable (If it's in thai) but subtitle playback will be fine.

Mine is 23mb. Here is the original before I changed name.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30968412@N06/16598739294/
(2015-04-11, 19:15)oldpoem Wrote: [ -> ]All correct, arial based and named it "arial.ttf" . It need to be in media/Fonts not the userdata one. You can copy as ArialUni.ttf and select it from subtitle font setting but this way filename still unreadable (If it's in thai) but subtitle playback will be fine.

Sorry to keep bugging you about this but I'd really like to get it working! I have tried a couple more things without luck.

-First, I found that OS X already has the font so I deleted the one I had downloaded before and used the one from my mac since I know its the genuine real thing.

It still didn't work though so I tried renaming it ArialUni.ttf I feel that this got me one step further as it can be selected in XBMC/video/subtitles/Font to use for text subtitles! Before, I couldn't tell if it was looking at my arial.ttf or the original xbmc one. BUT the fonts under "character set" are still the very same options including "Thai (windows)", nothing written in Thai. Is this where you meant that the filename may be unreadable?

Any other ideas? Not sure what else I can possibly try here and I really want to get it working for my Thai wife. Thanks again for your help!
Further update... watched the first Game of Thrones of Season 5 and all of a sudden there are Thai subs! The weird thing is, I don't know where they are coming from. They aren't in the video because they turn off and on with enable/disable subs option. But when I go to sub options and look at the lists of subs such as in opensubs, there is no Thai subs available for it. Also, I can change the sub settings to just about anything and they still work. I can even change the font back to arial instead of arialuni and they still work. I can also change the font to things other than "Thai (windows)" and it still works fine. But when I play any other video, I am still getting squares! I don't get it! Is it possible that the streaming video (first source with genesis) could have some SRTs bundled with it or something?
Hi Folks,
Did anybody get a definitive way to get Thai subtitles working? I get the same squares.
I have a Fire TV but cant find where the arial font is located (searches using ES file explorer draw a blank).

Cheers
Captain here :

Spent hours trying to get those Thai sub displaying right (other than boxes)

The answer is very simple and work with any skin :

-Get arial.ttf on any website (should be about 22Mb size)
-Put it in /sdcard/Android/data/oeg.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/Fonts (if like me the folder media didn't contain anything, just create a new folder called "Fonts" - case sensitive)
-copy your arial.ttf file in it (case sensitive)

Restart Kodi (or not even needed, I forgot if I had to restart it or not Tongue )

Here you go !

If not working, be sure you had those settings set as follow :

-Under "Settings/Appearance/Skin" :
Skin default

-Under "Settings/Appearance/International" :
character set is "Thai (Windows)"
preferred subtitle language is Thai

-Under "Settings/Videos/Subtitles" :
Character Set is "Thai (Windows)"

If still not working :

Open your subtitle file with Notepad in Windows and select Save as... and then choose "Unicode" in the encoding bottom box.
The thing is a lot of Thai subtitles files on the internet are encoded in non Unicode charset so it cannot be displayed properly from the beginning.
So this is the first thing to do every single time you download a new Thai subtitle file on the Internet.
jaroulz: can i add any other(s) font(s) tooHuh (like helvetica, etc.)
thx
Pages: 1 2