Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Ed

Yes looks like the same box but hey cheaper from AliExpress and which I have been told the new EmbER build has been tested and works. Horrible Amazon website page link, seems to be no graphics as such just a small non zoomable thumbnail picture of the box Huh? That is using my browser of choice Chrome BTW.

Just use the AliExpress link Ed if I were you.as not seen a better deal for this model yet.
Thanks ray. Does anyone know if Ember for JARVIS will be released any time soon?
Yes Ed I understand that all being well EmbER 4 with KODI 16 Jarvis is likely to be released next month all being well and of course will auto update OTA for all registered EmbER subscribers with a licensed Donor Edition, as most of us now are (or I hope we mostly all are by now) . I hear that the guys at EmbER are working hard on these exciting advancements to ensure they are reliable updates and as free as possible of any bugs. Not sure how much extra Jarvis will give us over Isengard but EmbER 4 promises some nice extras like Scheduled EmbER backups which work very well in their current manual configuration and now a well fixed and reliable OTA update system. .
Great I'll wait till ember 4 and give it another try.
(2016-03-15, 21:46)bubblegum57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-15, 16:03)Trezona Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the advice raymw,
I was given this 510b, but i am going to eventually get another more updated unit.
I would really appreciate it if you could send me this KODI Helix 14.0 version for the time being.

Clive.

I don't have the Android version, but I do have a Linux image

It's this one http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...9&start=70

but signed so it will work on the 510b. I am still using this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo8sj6t4tl1cbt...d.img?dl=0

Hi Bubblegum57,

Do you by any chance know if theres a copy of the latest TOFULinux-031116 version signed for the 510b?
(2016-03-23, 08:14)Trezona Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-15, 21:46)bubblegum57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-15, 16:03)Trezona Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the advice raymw,
I was given this 510b, but i am going to eventually get another more updated unit.
I would really appreciate it if you could send me this KODI Helix 14.0 version for the time being.

Clive.

I don't have the Android version, but I do have a Linux image

It's this one http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...9&start=70

but signed so it will work on the 510b. I am still using this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo8sj6t4tl1cbt...d.img?dl=0

Hi Bubblegum57,

Do you by any chance know if theres a copy of the latest TOFULinux-031116 version signed for the 510b?

I don't have a copy, the last Image I tried did not work.

You could go to https://forums.tvaddons.ag/pivos-xios-ds...ns-10.html & ask on that forum.
If you installed EmbER V3.0.1 on a G02ref box in the first couple of days after it was released then it will be well worth quickly manually reinstalling it using a latest updated version downloaded from the EmbER website. Make sure you first back up all your settings and add-ons (recommend using EmbER Backups) as it will clear them all; unless you are happy just installing this new updated build zip file directly using the EmbER recovery mode screen (but make sure you are competent with doing it that way first).

The recently updated V3.0.1 dated 22/03/16 for the G02Ref boxes allows for an easy fix for anyone with 1970 date/time boot up problems caused by laggy internet access to the default date/time ntp servers which use the US based servers that are used by the EmbER system at boot up. Those with this problem ( mostly in the SE Asia region - see below) will be familiar seeing the 1970 date at each or most boot ups and annoyingly causing a problem with many add-ons that need the correct current date/time. This problem is in fact not really an EmbER bug but a problem with laggy internet which has now got a suitable work around - read on.

I have a suitable edited ntp.conf file available, which is set up to use Asian ntp date/time servers for those in SE Asia where in many areas the internet is currently laggy to the US ntp servers. This it seems is due to a broken undersea main highway link cable between I believe Singapore and Hong Kong. This has also put an additional load on many other Asian links too.

This edited small ntp.conf file is of course primarily for Asian users (see below for download link), and should be placed in your /root/Config folder in your EmbER box, and will then commit and do it's job from there, provided you have this latest 22/03/16 V3.0.1 G02Ref build installed. It should work fine too with G18Ref boxes if placed in this same /root/Config location. Once installed this ntp.conf file will ensure that if you are anywhere in Asia, or adjacent regions, then you will almost certainly get the correct date/time on every boot up.

This edited ntp.conf file, which can be identified by being 280 Bytes in size, rather than the default file at just 202 Bytes, can be quickly downloaded from my public Dropbox link HERE. First remove the .zip extension (needed to stop you just getting a text file) and then simply place this small ntp.conf file in your /etc/Config folder using KODI File Manager and reboot. To access these areas in File Manager you may first need to ensure that you have the needed full permissions enabled in the KODI configurations. (See System|Settings|Appearance|File lists and ensure all 6 options are enabled, as by default two relevant ones are not.)

Finally you may find that after updating to EmbER V3.0.1 that your International timezone country setting has changed to USA / New York time so you will need to change it back to your own time zone /country of course. This is very easy and quick to do. (System|Settings|International and change the Timezone Country as appropriate.)

Hope this is useful help to some of you here; but, as per the usual caveat, please note that you make any adjustments to your system entirely at your own risk of course. Many thanks to Josh with this edited ntp.conf file and his great help in giving his valuable time in solving this date/time issue.
I'm a glutton for punishment. That's the only reason I can think of for why I tried to install Ember 3.0.1 on my ATV1200. That, and I'd really like it to work. But, of course, the end result was the same as usual, I bricked my ATV1200.

I can really only recommend trying this if you are confident of your ability to unbrick your ATV1200 (which I am).
(2016-03-27, 16:43)Grand Total Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a glutton for punishment. That's the only reason I can think of for why I tried to install Ember 3.0.1 on my ATV1200. That, and I'd really like it to work. But, of course, the end result was the same as usual, I bricked my ATV1200.

I can really only recommend trying this if you are confident of your ability to unbrick your ATV1200 (which I am).

I find it will install fine if you first install MX LInux Helix 14.2 or the Android V4.1 restore files available on page 1 of this forum. I have been providing Josh with information re this and with info from Geniatech themselves I understand that he has now been able to identify why this is strangely happening with the Geniatech MX based boxes. He does say that this will not be a problem with EmbER 4 and is only a problem with these Geniatech ATV1200 and ATV1220 boxes installing EmbER convert V2.0.2 and later over the top of the latest default new box Android firmware. Also I have noticed from a lot of testing here that it is also a problem if upgrading from the very early Ember 1.0.0, but not from EmbER 1.0.1 or later versions oddly enough..

Can I ask how you unbricked your box Grand Total and what firmware you had on the 1200 box prior to trying to upgrade to EmbER V3.0.1 ?? With info I have been able to provide to Josh and Corey they are working on a hopefully easy unbricking method right now. So hang fire as this unbricking procedure and indeed a reliable safe method of installing EmbER 3.0.1 for these boxes will be coming very soon. I assure you it is well worth the effort as EmbER 3.0.1 is very fast and stable and indeed these problems I am told are fixed with EmbER 4 now. With the auto OTA updates EmbER is and has been a major and ambitious project and one that is well worth the end product for us all. It is already for most of us, very solid and reliable and version 4 should be nigh on perfect.

I will let you know if I hear any updated news from Josh on this issue with the ATV1200/1220 boxes. I know he is very very busy right now working on the finishing touches to EmbER 4 with Jarvis, which will be very much welcomed by us all, along with the new S805 quad core M12 box EmbER firmware. So he has little time right now to be able to post on here or other related public forums, but is very happy for me to pass on information he has kindly given to me as this saves him a lot of valuable time and gets this valuable info passed on to all of us here. I do have the spare time to do this and help out a little with and provide the EMbER guys with helpful info from my Geniatech boxes I have here. So hope some of you find this useful and please note that Josh and Corey from EmbER do read these various forum posts here and elsewhere too.
(2016-03-27, 19:01)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]I find it will install fine if you first install MX LInux Helix 14.2 or the Android V4.1 restore files available on page 1 of this forum.

Can I ask how you unbricked your box Grand Total and what firmware you had on the 1200 box prior to trying to upgrade to EmbER V3.0.1 ??
Which Android 4.1 restore files? The one under Version 3. XDA Developers Gotham Build 13.2 Compiled 13-11-14 or the one under Version 4. Geniatech?

I have a (write protected) SDRAM card that works every time for recovering bricks. It contains this bootcard. Follow the instructions in the readme file. It appears to install twice, after which you have a working Android box.
(2016-03-27, 22:46)Grand Total Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-27, 19:01)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]I find it will install fine if you first install MX LInux Helix 14.2 or the Android V4.1 restore files available on page 1 of this forum.

Can I ask how you unbricked your box Grand Total and what firmware you had on the 1200 box prior to trying to upgrade to EmbER V3.0.1 ??
Which Android 4.1 restore files? The one under Version 3. XDA Developers Gotham Build 13.2 Compiled 13-11-14 or the one under Version 4. Geniatech?

I have a (write protected) SDRAM card that works every time for recovering bricks. It contains this bootcard. Follow the instructions in the readme file. It appears to install twice, after which you have a working Android box.

Yes had a similar bootcard set up much the same as yours Grand Total with the uboot.cmd you needed to first run etc., but mine did not have the Assert fail SPI file included, So I tried your bootcard setup as instructed and both with the write protect on and again with it off, nothing will happen just a dead box with just the red light on. When a box is truly bricked I cannot see how anything can happen as my bricked ATV1200s when bricked of course does not even look at the SD Card when booting up with the recovery button pressed in for the usual 10-15 secs. So I wonder if your box was indeed fully bricked Grand Total ??

Now waiting for Josh to hopefully come up with a solid reliable unbrick method which I understand he is working on at the moment and using some various files I have sent him and some files and info from Geniatech. A solid unbricking method to enable installing EmbER or reverting to Android would be very much appreciated and welcomed by I am sure many of us here.

I can get the box to unbrick with a Ubuntu special script prepared Linux boot sector SD card, and with just the usual two pins shorted for about 5 seconds it boots up fine into recovery and I can either get it to go into recovery mode screen or to auto install EmbER 3.0.1 which does indeed succeed but then will not boot up and again goes into this bricked mode again. It will not though even boot up or install the 2013 Android revert files form this special Linux boot sector card though and I cannot even force it to do so from the recovery mode screen (usual Assert fail) Huh Still working on this and hope Josh can solve it as if anyone can it is him and/or Corey.

BTW I would liek to know Grand Total what firmware you were running before you tried to install EmbER 3.0.1 over it and it bricked Huh
I was running stock Android 4.1.2 before I attempted to install Ember 3.0.1.

The "write protected" SDRAM card is not relevant, I was just indicating that I have it permanently on hand.

Likewise I don't use the assert fail spi file, it was included when I got the package (no idea where it came from).

There is nothing special about a Linux produced boot sector versus a Windows produced boot sector on the SDRAM card, they perform identically because they are identical, just created with a different tool.
Hi, got an issue with Ember 2.0.2 and ATV1200 box. I know there is a bug with the ember settings app that prevents it running if the ethernet connection is disabled (saw the bug listed on Ember site) but now I can do anything with the box.

Ember loads fine, but have no network access so cant ftp in to the box and cant run the Ember settings app (simply sits spinning says working). I also cant get the box in to recovery mode. Have tried the pin short (pin 2 & 3) on U13 and tried loads of different SD cards and different formats, all without success. Is there any way of using the file manager app in Kodi to transfer a new network file so I can at least get the ember settings app working again and they try an upgrade to 3.x?
You could try downloading the public edition of EmbER 3.0.1 from the website and installing that. If you find your reset button does not even start to access the SD Card with EmbER 3.0.1 install files on it and just simply boots up your box to the existing EmbER 2.0.2 then I can say we have been playing with a specially prepared SD recovery card that fixes this, but we must wait for Josh to post this when he is happy with it, so you may have to wait a short while. Hope the 3.0.1 install though will do the trick for you then you can restore your add-ons and settings from a back up I trust you have already made.

If you can get into recovery mode then just do a factory reset and then it will reboot into your existing EmbER 2.0.2 and you should be able to get into EmbER Settings okay, and form there restore your last backup..
Hi raymw. Cant get in to recover at all (tried the pin short) and with no network connection then I cant download anything or ftp in to the box. Also cant run the ember setting app on the box either so pretty much stuffed. Thats why I asked if there was a file or flag somewhere in a file I could set which would enable eth and get the Ember Settings working again so I can try an upgrade. I am running 2.0.2 and see on the Ember site there was a bug fix in 2.0.2 "[Bugfix] Disabling eth connection was preventing system settings from opening" but thats exactly the issue I am having and am running 2.0.2.