Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Folks:

Preliminary results on installing the JynxBox version of Linux/XBMC on the ATV520:

Followed the instructions for SD boot card install and it worked fine. One caveat, I got an error on wiping cache but reboot launched XBMC with no issues. This was an install from Geniatech Linux/XBMC.

The power button on the remote does indeed work, but maybe too well! It will shut down the box with no warning at all!

Timezones appear to be working (Timezones work in the Geniatech version but not the XDA one.)

Wireless is not working on the ATV520 and the internet settings in 'System' have no options for choosing a network whatsoever. But... if you try to add a video source, low and behold, it will find your wired connection through the RJ-45 jack.

System info shows two CPUs. If this version was optimized for the single CPU JynxBox, that might be the reason that it's so peppy.

Putty works. Same username: root, same password: letmein.

So far, so good. I got a working power switch out of it and don't use WIFI so it works for my needs.

Now I have to 'restore' the XBMC backup from my Geniatech install (do that before you flash the new version), and change my remote.conf and smb.comf.

tinker
(2014-02-26, 18:09)tinker Wrote: [ -> ]Biatsch:

OK, I'm sold on the JynxBox version. I'll see how it installs on my ATV520 and let folks know how it goes.

superfreak79:

Check out my earlier post on using the latest Confluence Skin to get access to skin mods at least. It doesn't solve changing the boot picture but will give you more control then before.

tinker

awesome let us know Smile

also is the install procedure the same if one is currently on xda Linux? put stuff on micro sd, hold down update, plug it in... wait 2 mins etc.. ?
that sounds amazing tinker! esp. the immediate power off... that will play nicely with my harmony!

I might just update this tonight.
Only problem u cant get back to other rom..... Sad
Redi:

The only problem I had with restoring a backup from my Genitech version was the updated Confluence skin made the whole thing slow down. Videos played fine, but the user interface was sluggish. Restoring a backup without it worked just fine.

Funny thing about the power off. Now it does have a menu for Suspend (shut down) and Reboot. I reinstalled twice to resolve the skin issue and both times it would instant off for few reboots and then the menu appeared. So, don't expect it to have instant off beyond the first reboot.

I think that the SD boot card is the best bet. Both Android and XDA Linux/XBMC use the Android boot code so that's the way to do it. I migrated from Geniatech Linux/XBMC using the SD boot card method and it worked too.

tinker
U tried flashing back with bootcards ........ tried every Rom and Bootcard but recovery blocks Flash process verifying package errror "stvmx", just finnless Rom cauld be flashed, but didnt boot up just black Screen, had to go back to jynx (Jynx is a cool runnin Rom for all days but maybe i will Change Rom someday it would be good if i can change ....... NOW IT ISNT POSSIBLE with Bootcards Sad ) , think i have to connect to ttl when i would change Rom ..... JUST AN ATTENTION TO ATV USERS FLASH JYNXROM AT UR OWN RISK !!!!
(2014-02-27, 07:31)Biatsch Wrote: [ -> ]U tried flashing back with bootcards ........ tried every Rom and Bootcard but recovery blocks Flash process verifying package errror "stvmx", just finnless Rom cauld be flashed, but didnt boot up just black Screen, had to go back to jynx (Jynx is a cool runnin Rom for all days but maybe i will Change Rom someday it would be good if i can change ....... NOW IT ISNT POSSIBLE with Bootcards Sad ) , think i have to connect to ttl when i would change Rom ..... JUST AN ATTENTION TO ATV USERS FLASH JYNXROM AT UR OWN RISK !!!!

Yes, exactly my experience too.
Hi,
I have tried several USB hard drive with NTFS, no working,'ve noticed others.

Seven7
Folks:

Everything seems to be working with the JynxBox version of Linux/XBMC. I can confirm that the 'instant off' with the remote's power button only happens for the first two reboots, then a menu appears giving the choice to suspend or reboot.

I've also noticed that, although everything's working, the lights on the ATV520 are orange, not blue (the net light is still blue). They don't go off when the 'power' is off either.

Has anyone migrated from JynxBox back to anything else successfully yet? Much as a I like the JynxBox version, don't take the chance until we know more about reverting or unless, like me, you think there's no going back... only forward!

tinker
----YEP JUST UPDATE AND GO FORWARD LIKE U SAID TINKER --- I LIKE THE ROM, TOO.
I suscribed in Jynxbox Forum just to clear up some things, cause their build changed our Box Name from STVMX to JYNXM6, and I Think they cant get back, too from their build, cause their factorybuild is for STVMX Big Grin Big Grin
(2014-02-27, 20:23)tinker Wrote: [ -> ]I've also noticed that, although everything's working, the lights on the ATV520 are orange, not blue (the net light is still blue). They don't go off when the 'power' is off either.

Has anyone migrated from JynxBox back to anything else successfully yet? Much as a I like the JynxBox version, don't take the chance until we know more about reverting or unless, like me, you think there's no going back... only forward!

Yes, LEDs are messed.

I've been trying to get back to Geniatech Android or Linux. No matter what I do - it's stuck with JynxBox. Even if I try to flash it and get error, I just reboot and it's Jynxbox XBMC again.
ive got sumvision cyclone nano 2, jynxbox works like a dream apart from cannot connect to wifi, no options in sytem settings , also tried through programmes wifi manger but that picks nowt up
(2014-02-27, 22:39)slikmik Wrote: [ -> ]ive got sumvision cyclone nano 2, jynxbox works like a dream apart from cannot connect to wifi, no options in sytem settings , also tried through programmes wifi manger but that picks nowt up

slikmik:

In the Jynxbox forum they talk about using USB to Wifi adapters. I couldn't find out whether JynxBox has Wifi hardware to begin with. You might try that, the adapters are inexpensive.

tinker
Folks:

I finally figured out why the power button on the remote would switch the power off when I reinstalled and then 'mysteriously' switch to the power off menu later.

It was because of my remote.conf file!

The JynxBox remote.conf looks like this:

Code:
    0x45 31    ;POWER

The remote.conf file posted by Biatsch [https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3po4acd0c24tjj/remote.conf] looks like this:

Code:
    0x45 116    ;POWER

So, if you want the box to shut right down, use the value '31' for the power setting. If you want the power off menu, use the value '116'.

The power button on the XBMC home screen shuts the box right off regardless of remote.conf power setting value, so if you want both the menu & a way to quickly power down, use the value '116'.

This probably applies to any version of XBMC that uses a remote.

tinker
Can someone help me with a remote control problem?

I bought a generic ATV1200-like box and flashed XDA version of Linux XBMC. The remote that came with the box only works with the stock firmware though Sad. I connected via SSH to the box and copied Biatsch's remote.conf file into /etc/xbmc - but that didn't work either Sad Sad.

i logged the keystrokes of the new box using USB to RS232. I coped the "ircode" and "scancode" for each button (there are a lot of them!). See file here.

I also some information from the box: RM1200 KEY_A; VER1.4 13/C7/15; HX E339169 RoHS; 94-V0 1343.

How would I go about changing Biatsch's file to work with my new remote? Is it that simple?

Thanks!