Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-06-12, 16:50)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, don't know about 720p being locked in, but I don't think true 1080p is possible with this box. Is the 520e the one with broadcom wireless and not yet supported in the kernel?

I've just uploaded a new Ilia build which has the stock Gotham 13.1 splash page, a hopefully more useful remote.conf and the boxik update service removed. I also built this with a 3 xbmc patches from Corey's repo relating to remote/keyboard that Ilia hadn't merged into to his repo and included Ilia's boxik skin (default is still confluence). Please bear in mind that this is completely untested so flash at your own risk!

Edit: Withdrawn link because remote.conf ain't right!

Hi Bobones,

Yes it is capable of doing 1080p without a problem i have done it in Android and a couple of version of the linux-xbmc. Even tried a early dualcore linux -xbmc from Geniatech out there. All are capable of changing to 1080p. Just this version is locked. Dont know why.

Yes it is possible this has the broadcom wireless. However there must be a way as Geniatech had the wireless working in the 520e but they have had their settings done in the System settings and not program addons. maybe someone can strip out the code they used and put it in a program addon that is current been used

Is it possible for you to remove the all the addons. Users cant remove then and they are locked in.

Cheers

Update: I went in to System setting then into System to check the resolution again. the 720P was not greyed out anymore but it locks up for a while. you can press the remote to move and nothing happens. They after about 10secs of pressing. it moves then stops again. So it seems there is a problems that i missed before.

Cant wait for the fixes. Smile
Spud, resolution change is fine on my box. I have 2 x 720p options (50 and 60Hz), 1080i and 1080p. It switches fine between them, so I don't know what's going on with your setup. Maybe try a different HDMI cable or TV to test? Still don't believe it's true 1080p: just upscaled.

Broadcom wireless is not in the version of the Linux kernel used in this build so I can't help. I think Croniccorey will fix this eventually.

The next build I put up will basically be Croniccorey's (XDA Dev) 13.1 code with Ilia's forced pass through patch so none of the boxik addons or services will be there. These addons are only "locked-in" because they're on the usr.sqsh filesystem which is strictly read-only and so you cannot change anything about them or uninstall them. Anyway, moot point now as they won't be included in next build, which I am just about to test on my box.
OK, here it is. STVMX/G02Ref (ATV1200) CoreTech-Development united_aml build (croniccorey, J1nx, et al) with 13.1 and forced pass through patch from Ilia. Seems to work fine on my Sumvision Cyclone X2 under limited testing.

remote.conf file is my preference (power off menu) so change it to suit yours and map keys in xbmc using keymap editor addon. I map the menu key to play-pause in full screen video, zoom out is global stop and zoom-in is show favourites etc. If you want straight power down then ssh on and change /etc/xbmc/remote.conf to use 31 for POWER instead of 116.

No warranty, no support, flash at your own risk!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqy80nlsy15nbr...140613.zip

Edit: I've just tested a clean install on top of an Android system (i.e. no prior linux) and there is one minor gotcha: you won't be able to enter a network key in the network manager with the stock remote until you enable "remote control sends keyboard presses" in settings/system/input devices.
(2014-06-13, 07:54)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]Spud, resolution change is fine on my box. I have 2 x 720p options (50 and 60Hz), 1080i and 1080p. It switches fine between them, so I don't know what's going on with your setup. Maybe try a different HDMI cable or TV to test? Still don't believe it's true 1080p: just upscaled.

Broadcom wireless is not in the version of the Linux kernel used in this build so I can't help. I think Croniccorey will fix this eventually.

The next build I put up will basically be Croniccorey's (XDA Dev) 13.1 code with Ilia's forced pass through patch so none of the boxik addons or services will be there. These addons are only "locked-in" because they're on the usr.sqsh filesystem which is strictly read-only and so you cannot change anything about them or uninstall them. Anyway, moot point now as they won't be included in next build, which I am just about to test on my box.

Hey Bobones,

Flashed the ATV520e back to Android and then installed your new one. This time it comes up with all the resolutions and does not lock up in the system/setting/system.

The ATV520e is exactly the same hardware as the ATV1200.(apart from the wireless module). So it is true 1080P

I will test and see how i go but first impressions Big Grin
Spuda, I may well be wrong, but everything I've read says the kernels for Android and Linux on these boxes do not produce true 1080p but only upscale it from 720p. There is a test video in Biatsch's dropbox which will prove it one way or the other.

I'm in a dilemma about changing the advancedsettings.xml file in /usr/share/xbmc/system to set remote_as_keyboard = true because if I do that, users will not see the option in the gui and will never be able to switch it back to false. This is true for any settings defined in this advancedsettings file. Any thoughts?
bobbones, I will look into if the boxes are true 1080p or upscalled 720p. I always thought they were true 1080p. Whats the file that i can use to test? I looked on Biatsch dropbox and not sure what to use.

I wished the way it worked that the advancedsettings.xml file in /usr/share/xbmc/system was the master and then coppied into /userdata on first run. This would allow custom setting to be made then user changeable. I looked into this awhile back as I wanted to set a zero cache as default. Im sorry i cant help on that one.
BoBones, many thanks as that is a brilliant compile there of Corey's 13.1 build. Installed like a dream over the top of my 13.0 setup and yes now I see all the Audio settings I had with Frodo and more too. Works smoothly in all respects except once again with the surround AC3 and DTS passthrough audio problem (see below) where I wish I could get or find a cure as I really want my surround sound back from my ATV1200 box. Wish I could get into that compiling too as looks interesting, but my problem is I do not have a Linux Ubuntu machine and I have no idea how to install a Linux Ubuntu virtual machine on my main system and would worry about causing problems on my vitally needed main Windows 8.1 PC.

Okay if I go back to Frodo 12.3 then all is fine with audio passthrough and DTS and AC3 Dolby digital signals work fine to my Denon AVR 500 home theatre unit (which BTW is only a few months old and a new model) and I get nice surround sound where 5.1 DTS or AC3 sound is available with the source either streamed or from a local media file on my USB hard drive or USB stick. The Denon senses it and auto switches to Dolby Digital and I have nice good quality surround sound.

HOWEVER with Frodo 12.4 and now Gotham 13.1 (as you know we could not switch passthrough on with 13.0) I get the terrible staccato crackling sound, very loud and of course no wanted audio. If I switch passthough off with the XBMC audio settings then the corruption goes away but of course no digital surround sound only the usual non surround audio :-( My Denon HT does not auto switch to Dolby digital either with this crackling corrupted sound so it is NOT receiving the correct signals from the MyGica ATV1200 box with Frodo 12.4 or Gotham 13.1. I knew this was a problem introduced with Frodo 12.4 but I was kind of hoping it would have been cured with Gotham builds. If it was okay with Frodo 12.3 and before, is there not a way it could work again with Gotham builds now ??

So what if anything am I doing wrong or is it still a bug in the audio passthrough output ?? Would dearly love this cured, else I will just have to stick to Frodo 12.3 for now (as I have to with the ATV520 boxes with the WiFi simple effective fix I mentioned here earlier copying the DialogAccessPoints.xml file into the .../root/.xbmc area). Maybe if Corey is around he may know the answer. Great new build otherwise and seems very stable.

So my only problems with Gotham 13.1 so far are:-

1. Corrupted AC3 and DTS passthrough audio on HDMI output to my Denon AVR500 Home Theatre unit.

2. Unable to use the Confluence useful 7 shortcut Icons tweak.

3. No WiFi access with the ATV520 boxes with Broadcom WiFi. Can't we go back to the earlier pre Frodo 12.4 system and use MacBeth1975's DialogAccessPoints.xml fix but built in, as that is compatible with 1200 and 520 boxes and not a problem with Broadcom WiFi boxes ??

4 Amber Skin compatibility issues with accessing and downloading subtitles, but no problem wiht Confluence of course so not important this one.

Okay hope that feedback helps the developers, but they probably already knew about these issues anyway. I am always willing to test any fixes especially with the AC3 and DTS passthrough audio with my Denon AVR
Thanks. Interesting read. I did the checks on a couple of boxes I have here. I love the test. I dont know if the files on Biatsch are the same files that the OP is talking about but i get the general jist. I get 7x7 white dots in the centre box. thats on my dell 30"(2560*1600)

Its very obvious on what 1080p and whats 720P. From what i can tell. the Android firmware with the android native players they play true 1080P. Whereas all the Android XBMC builds and linux XBMC builds are 720P upscalled. I would like to try a 1080P XBMC version either in Android or Linux Build.

In the build you did it looks good but the remote does not feel 100% responsive.

Edit. just saw the post above. I had not need testing the surround but will now. Which is the best Frodo 12.x build to use currently?
Thanks Spada Spud for picking this up. IMHO Frodo 12.3 was the best as no audio AC3 or DTS passthrough problem and if WiFi needed you can use Macbeth1975's WiFi simple fix I mentioned above. 12.3 is stable for me too and has no problems I can pick up on whatsoever, but Gotham is faster and smoother generally but with the few caveats I mentioned which I am sure will soon be sorted in the usual excellent way.
Interesting, DD and DTS passthough over HDMI work great for me, but I do not set the HD options (TrueHD, DTSHD), just DD, DTS and I enable AC3 transcoding for AAC by switching to 2.0 speaker config. Absolutely no corruptions. Maybe your problem is due to some option selected which is not working correctly. HD audio or SPDIF? However, there is probably a good reason Corey disabled these options in his repo!
I have had a little more time to play with this and it's not all great. I have had a couple of system freezes during scraping and navigating menus for which I had to reset the box by holding in the front power button. I am also seeing lip sync issues where video is ahead of audio by around 300ms. I'm not sure this is consistent enough to set a default offset. I'll play around with this for a while yet, but if the problems get annoying it could be back to Android for me: the recent MyGica 4.2 f/w is actually pretty good!
(2014-06-13, 18:36)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Spada Spud for picking this up. IMHO Frodo 12.3 was the best as no audio AC3 or DTS passthrough problem and if WiFi needed you can use Macbeth1975's WiFi simple fix I mentioned above. 12.3 is stable for me too and has no problems I can pick up on whatsoever, but Gotham is faster and smoother generally but with the few caveats I mentioned which I am sure will soon be sorted in the usual excellent way.

Been looking into this and i cant find and DialogAccessPoints.xml on the Gotham builds

Hey bobones,

I noticed on the XDA forums you asked about the advancedsettings.xml. Why dont you just put it in /root/.xbmc/userdata, you can create files in that directory
@raymw: Whos version/build of 12.3 is currently the best. Link would help to make sure i get the correct one. Smile

@bobones: From what i know there is only one version of the 4.2 with KR34 remote. Have you found any issues? I have found that the remote stops working sometimes and then just starts up again. This might be take sometime. not sure yet. could be 5min could be 30 mins. Have you found this issue?
Sorry Spada Spud I should have said. It is the Geniatech version dated 2nd Jan 2014 and is Version 2 on the first page of this long thread.

That is of course my opinion as I am sure others may differ but to me this has been the best as it works like a dream and is very stable on both ATV1200 and 520 boxes I have used it on. Audio works in AC3 and DTS Dolby Digital to my Denon home theatre perfectly and with Macbeth1975's WiFi easy fix it supports switching to and from WiFi for both the ATV1200 and ATV520 boxes too.

Bobones just to confirm I am trying to use the HDMI passthrough audio with AC3 and DTS sound source content and whatever I do it just causes the very loud staccato crackling, and the Denon does not even auto switch to Dolby D or DTS. Cannot be hardware as the same box works fine with Frodo 12.3 so something changed since Frodo 12.4 and still there in Gotham.

Sure I can use the Toslink FO cable and configure my Denon to receive digital audio on that link but it then is not what I wanted as the HT does not auto recognise DD or DTS then. Just would love it working as well as it did with Frodo 12.3 and before. Please can someone confirm they also get this surround sound problem too with their Home Theatre units Huh As you would expect the problem occurs with ANY DD or DTS source content whether streamed or from a file on my system.

Also BoBone not having any audio sync problem with your new 13.1 Corey compile. Been testing out with various content both HD and SD content streamed and from files on my system. Also so far I have only had one lock-up with 13.1 and that was internet drop-out related. Usually I have only ever had audio sync problems with either poor internet streaming or from a corrupt file I am trying to play. This new Corey build and you excellent compile is awesome AFAIC, other than the AC3/DTS audio passthrough problem and ATV520 WiFi the others I listed are only minor issues.