Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-12-16, 08:23)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]No not tried Plex server but do not think I need it as everything is running great here. My NAS drive is a Zyxel NSA320 GigaBit connected to my LAN with dual HD bays with 2 X 2TB drives + two USB satellite HDDs attached too, so with the USB side drives a total on the NAS of 7.5 TB for all my backups, video media and music. It also runs DLNA streaming as most NAS drives do, and which the box can easily access. I create a source in my box's XBMC settings to my appropriate NAS drive shares and/or via DLNA, Have to say I do not use NAS access for video streaming much as mainly just stream off of the various add-ons via the internet of course. I have all the video on demand I could ever want via internet streaming.

I do serve my large music collection out from the NAS Drive iTunes server as that is ideal for all users on my LAN. I also occasionally download and store on the NAS Drives content via torrents where I want a really good HD copy of a TV show normally like for example the latest and awesome X Factor final over the last weekend which really merits watching in best quality HD.

Yes indeed, and probably like you xbmcdoc, I could not contemplate life without my NAS Drives and the solid LAN system I have set up. And the NAS Drives are really very inexpensive these days and even for well specced powerful units too. Though my ZyXel NAS is relatively modest and a couple of years old now, it really performs brilliantly, is fast and does all I need of it at this time.

Very cool.
(2014-12-06, 21:33)kashmoney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-06, 14:48)belliash Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone managed to get CVBS working on ATV1200 ?

hi belliash with the Nov 13 and Nov 28th Updates that Auxbox posted I am able to get CVBS Output on my ATV400. On my ATV1200 when I installed those firmwares I was getting 480i output on component output. The TV I was connecting to has component connections only. Im sure it should work, why not try it yourself to see if it works on your tv with CVBS output?

Flashed version from 21 Nov 2014 and connot get CVBS working... what did you do in order to get it working?
Also if i unplug HDMI on startup, then I got no vision until i restart whole box.
1) On the XDA forum, which provides that build states the "CVBS video output don't work". Haven't seen anyone report that they fixed that. as of October 20, 2014 the bug remains. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...count=1059

2) HDMI is required to boot up as it determines if the screen is able to display the output being sent.
has a linux build for kodi been developed? I have looked through this forum but could not see anything.

Thanks
There are OpenELEC builds with Helix for various AMLogic boxes, but MX Linux as discussed in this thread has not yet been updated.
(2014-11-28, 14:04)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-27, 09:44)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]So I again ask please has anyone here got any idea when we can expect the first Linux XBMC/KODI builds and compiles for these MyGica Enjoy boxes ??

I don't know if you'll ever get Linux based Kodi for the quad core MyGica boxes unless Geniatech themselves develop it as these don't seem to be the boxes favoured by the developers who are doing the porting work.

If you look around you'll see that Stane's AMLinux and Codesnake's OpenELEC releases are all for very specific boards and it's boxes like the M8, MIII, MXQ, TV110 and others that are getting their attention.

I'm still running my Sumvision Cyclone X2 (ATV1200) with Corey's MX Linux 13.2 and it's great, but those boxes are no longer available. Recently, I've bought a few Cyclone X4s which are cheap quad core S805 (£46) and they run Kodi quite well under Android, but you definitely feel Kodi is being bogged down by Android bloat. But today, I flashed a version of OpenELEC/Kodi 14.0-beta3 ported to the TV110 by a Russian developer, Kerber, and man does this box now fly or what! This is now a serious player as a cheap, fast OpenELEC box that you can buy off the shelf from UK high street retailers.

If you want a new box that will run Linux then you probably need to change to a different brand.

Hi
I flashed the tv110 4.97.3 from Kerber ( i think) and it is performing well... but I have 2 issues

1 - it is only 10/100 network speed...when the port can take 1000. The option is simply not there when i do
ethtool eth0

Any advice?

2 - the sound is so hit and miss. The default output device is greyed out (AML-M8AUDIO Analog)
I was hoping it should just pass via HDMI?

Any advice on that also?

Thanks in advance on both points...
Stane's AMLinux can be flashed to MyGica ATV582. Not that stable but the Mali-450 is very quick to render the Interface.
(2015-01-02, 02:22)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]Stane's AMLinux can be flashed to MyGica ATV582. Not that stable but the Mali-450 is very quick to render the Interface.

In that case I would have thought it would flash to the ATV1800 quad core box too as it is basically the same motherboard component wise I understand, and both from Geniatech of course and just badged for the main distributor (MyGica, Sumvision etc).. Anyone ?? Where do you get Stane's build and is it compiled to flash straight to these android installed boxes??

Thanks for the update xbmcdoc.
(2014-12-23, 13:27)belliash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-06, 21:33)kashmoney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-06, 14:48)belliash Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone managed to get CVBS working on ATV1200 ?

hi belliash with the Nov 13 and Nov 28th Updates that Auxbox posted I am able to get CVBS Output on my ATV400. On my ATV1200 when I installed those firmwares I was getting 480i output on component output. The TV I was connecting to has component connections only. Im sure it should work, why not try it yourself to see if it works on your tv with CVBS output?

Flashed version from 21 Nov 2014 and connot get CVBS working... what did you do in order to get it working?
Also if i unplug HDMI on startup, then I got no vision until i restart whole box.

As I stated in my previous post ON MY ATV400. It worked right away I didn't have to do anything. I just unplugged the HDMI and plugged in the CVBS cable. Before on MX Linux v1.01 it did not work but on the Nov 13th and 21st update it worked like a charm.

(2015-01-02, 02:22)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]Stane's AMLinux can be flashed to MyGica ATV582. Not that stable but the Mali-450 is very quick to render the Interface.

sorry for the double post but this one needed its own post.

xbmcdoc are you sure stanes AMLinux works? which version have you tried? or where have you seen it posted that it works?
(2015-01-02, 06:00)kashmoney Wrote: [ -> ]xbmcdoc are you sure stanes AMLinux works? which version have you tried? or where have you seen it posted that it works?

Beelink MXIII 1Gb
http://www.stane1983.com/?wpdmact=proces...aG90bGluaw

I will upload a video demo the build soon. I would say at the risk of bricking the box I wouldn't install. The build doesn't work that good on my box. Don't know if it is the same for the other boxes it was intended for.
(2015-01-02, 08:10)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-02, 06:00)kashmoney Wrote: [ -> ]xbmcdoc are you sure stanes AMLinux works? which version have you tried? or where have you seen it posted that it works?

Beelink MXIII 1Gb
http://www.stane1983.com/?wpdmact=proces...aG90bGluaw

I will upload a video demo the build soon. I would say at the risk of bricking the box I wouldn't install. The build doesn't work that good on my box. Don't know if it is the same for the other boxes it was intended for.

ive used stanes amlinux on my beelink mx3 2gb and it worked pretty well. I have no complaints with it. im gonna get a atv582 and give it a try.
ive got an atv1800e 2015 edition maybe I should give the mx3 2gb version a try?
(2014-12-23, 13:27)belliash Wrote: [ -> ]I've used stanes amlinux on my beelink mx3 2gb and it worked pretty well. I have no complaints with it. im gonna get a atv582 and give it a try.
ive got an atv1800e 2015 edition maybe I should give the mx3 2gb version a try?

Might work. On the Beelink MX3 on NFS/SMB playback does it crashed the system when you try to fast-forward? The ATV582 crashes immediately.
I really am a beginner here but I hope someone can help me.

I have had several ATV1200 and put on the linux build with varying degrees of success.
However I find myself with 2 bricked ATV1200s and I need to "bridge the pins" on them to bring them back to life. I have seen the picture earlier in this thread showing which pins to bridge.

Where would I be able to get the cable to do this job? Earlier links to ebayer sellers show the products no longer available, and it may well be these cables are fairly generic but being a beginner to electronics I'm just not sure.

Any help anyone can provide would be great.

Incidentally my build of choice is the linux Frodo..... when I put Gotham on my DTS surround doesn't work..... but I'm happy with Frodo.
Sorry while I'm here one more question.

I have assumed my bricked ATV1200s may be inferior copies, I have heard there are a few out there. I have one ATV1200 that I have dubbed "old faithful" that (fingers crossed) never gets bricked no matter how many times I hard reset and I am making another assumption that this may be because it is an original product.

My question is...... does anyone know of trusted retailers where if I need to I can buy another ATV1200 (or ATV1800) for delivery in the UK that is a genuine product?
(2015-01-09, 19:02)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry while I'm here one more question.

I have assumed my bricked ATV1200s may be inferior copies, I have heard there are a few out there. I have one ATV1200 that I have dubbed "old faithful" that (fingers crossed) never gets bricked no matter how many times I hard reset and I am making another assumption that this may be because it is an original product.

My question is...... does anyone know of trusted retailers where if I need to I can buy another ATV1200 (or ATV1800) for delivery in the UK that is a genuine product?

Sounds like you got one with a bad NAND. I get a bad apple about every 300 or so which is a good thing in the sense that other manufactures I carry usually average 40. But cost is cheaper on the other ones so it not bad. Any chance it is in warranty?

Check locally for authorized vendor that allows you to return to them for the year of warranty. If you don't find one that processes the warranty just buy it from aliexpress direct from the manufacture (Geniatech Store). Save a few $$$ as you will need to send it to China either way if the vendor doesn't offer warranty services.