Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
np
(2015-01-26, 18:53)gav4130 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-25, 07:24)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]gav4130 yes I appreciate that cost is for many of us significant. But they are now old boxes, sure still good with the correct old Linux Frodo 12.0 builds, but can probably buy second hand very cheaply now.

You need to try to reinstall an old Linux XBMC Frodo 12 build for the M3 box but you will need to get back to the recovery screen first. Try just holding the reset recessed button in and keep it held until you see some screen action and the recover screen appear, it may take some time be warned. Then from the recovery screen do a clean factory Reset, then plug in your USB or SD card with the old Linux Frodo 12.0 image on it and try to re-flash Linux Frodo 12.0 Note that there were two types one for the earlier Nano slim boxes and one for later ones with a then newer Samsung chip fitted so you would need to search back in this forum for information as to this. But anyway try the main last issue of Linux Frodo 12.0.for the M3 single core boxes as most likely if your box is only a year old then that is the correct one.

If you can get into the recovery screen and cannot find the correct Linux Frodo 12 image to flash then let me know as liek several of us here I have all of these old Linux XBMC image files stored here and can arrange to send you what would be a likely suitable one if really needed. But sure if you look around you should find them all available for downloading

Auxbox is as usual dead right as your box should only have bricked if you interrupted a valid flash update installing by removing the power.. .

Cheers for the info..

I don't think I can do anything even with the right files... Box showing no signs of life... No lights coming on... I've held the update button down for over 5 minutes during connecting power.

I was using this box just for the bedroom, very little use.. But able to play dvd or 720 quality streams from server. Didn't need or use anything else other that that.

Now I cant do anything, didn't want to spend anything on a new box.

Defo nothing I can do myself?

From time to time something goes wrong even if you do nothing. The M3 had this issue more than the dual core. I recommend finding a support forum for that specific box as the firmware should not have let you pass the firmware check due to it being incompatible and it may require more extensive knowledge of that box.

(2015-01-26, 13:16)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-19, 20:16)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi xbmcdoc

wow, thank you for going to that effort for me. I just made the boot card successfully and will let you know how I get on!

*edit

Still no luck. The boot card partitioned ok and I put the correct files on as per the instructions in your video xbmcdoc. Bridged the pins, sd card in, reset button held down and power in. Waited 5-6 minutes and nothing, tried several times. Maybe this one is beyond saving.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

I bought another ATV1200 from Aliexpress and they tell me it's out of stock, so are giving me an ATV1800 instead. I understand there is no Linux build as yet for that, so I guess it's back to android for me, and I will keep an eye on these forums for a linux Kodi build.

Further to the above..... I had a clear out yesterday and found an old ATV 1200 that was bricked and that I thought I had thrown out. Tried to fix that one too using the pin bridging method with a boot up card and nothing....... surely this is not co-incidence and i must be doing something wrong somewhere? Any ideas anyone?

Will the ATV1800 be the same price as the ATV1200?

You might want to try shorting two pins on the NAND. Let me search the forums for the instructions for that as it has been quiet some time.
I've actually got one of them back to life. I'm not sure how.... used the revert to 4.1 files but didn't short the pins this time and for some reason it's worked. I will try now on the other atv1200. Many thanks for everyone who helped Smile

The ATV 1800 I'm being charged the same price..... as they were OOS on the 1200.

*update

The other one did come back to life... but refused to finish the android install, it was on a loop. I pulled the SD card and it went to recovery screen, and from there did factory reset / wipe cache. Then tried to load Linux frodo, again it started but would just loop on the install. Restarting itself and trying again.

I will persevere a little longer with it. To be honest I'm just happy I got one of them working.

*further update

Both working now! Thanks guys..... you're a very kind and helpful lot!
(2015-01-26, 20:11)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually got one of them back to life. I'm not sure how.... used the revert to 4.1 files but didn't short the pins this time and for some reason it's worked. I will try now on the other atv1200. Many thanks for everyone who helped Smile

The ATV 1800 I'm being charged the same price..... as they were OOS on the 1200.

*update

The other one did come back to life... but refused to finish the android install, it was on a loop. I pulled the SD card and it went to recovery screen, and from there did factory reset / wipe cache. Then tried to load Linux frodo, again it started but would just loop on the install. Restarting itself and trying again.

I will persevere a little longer with it. To be honest I'm just happy I got one of them working.

*further update

Both working now! Thanks guys..... you're a very kind and helpful lot!

Congrats. The Helix build is now available. See page one of this forum.
Yes I have Helix on one of the 1200s.... seems to be running well, and DTS is running good too, which was my problem with Gotham.
Kodi builds by Croniccorey coming soon.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2418029
Hi guys tested the 19-01-2015 build and 25-01-2015 build on ATV400

19-01-2015 (everything works, great build, the device has no random/idle freezing issues and the device is runing cooler now which was not the case with Gotham build)
25-01-2015 (buzzing over hdmi when the Kodi is booted (starts after the 14.0 Helix splash pops up).

Gona test bbones build later after work to see if i also get crashes.
Hi Guys,

This may be a daft question as I have no experience of Linux on the ATV1200 (yet). Does the latest build provide 1080p playback? (i.e. not downscaled to 720p like I encounter when trying to use XBMC on Android)

Thanks very much for your help.
(2015-01-27, 18:21)adr3nal1n Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys,

This may be a daft question as I have no experience of Linux on the ATV1200 (yet). Does the latest build provide 1080p playback? (i.e. not downscaled to 720p like I encounter when trying to use XBMC on Android)

Helix 19-01-2015_720P Upscaled
Helix 25-01-2015_1080P but bugs reported
Helix bbones_1008P but bugs reported

Croniccorey coming soon.
@xbmcdoc just out of interest what bugs are in my build that weren't already in the gotham builds?

I have cronic corey build made and will post it up as soon as I confirm it doesn't brick my box!
awesome. looking forward to the corey build.

question with the new helix, can I update over top of gotham and will it keep all my settings (system settings, addon config) or am I best to do a factory reset once before/after applying the update?
I'm afraid my compile from corey's repo has the loud buzzing over hdmi problem so I am going back to the build I made on 24th, which appears to work as well as anything. You should be fine with this one until the official builds come along

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8mo465gzb4pti...5.zip?dl=0

@redi I would recommend installing the helix update, which creates a new .kodi folder and leaves the .xbmc folder intact then logon with putty and rename the .xbmc to .kodi. Force refresh all your main repos and everything should work as before.
thanks bobones. if I'm renaming .xbmc to .kodi, does that mean I should be blowing away the existing .kodi first?
Yeah, or rename it to .kodi.orig if you want to keep it around. There's not much point though,
(2015-01-27, 19:48)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-27, 18:21)adr3nal1n Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys,

Helix 19-01-2015_720P Upscaled
Helix 25-01-2015_1080P but bugs reported
Helix bbones_1008P but bugs reported

Croniccorey coming soon.

Thanks very much xbmcdoc for the feedback.

When I say atv1200, i mean i have a sumvision cyclone x2. Will i still be able to use the latest linux build from page 1 of this thread or is there anything else i need to do prior to this? do i need to identify the board? (I have read about this on other forums but am unclear as to the process and what to look for)

Thanks in advance for any advice.