Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I'm new here Smile As I'm about to flash my MyGica ATV520e with a LinuxKodi I just wanted to ask (to be on the safe side) if the 'Version 1. Helix 14.1 Compiled 20-03-15' on the first page is the one for my device? If not, which one should I use? Tnx in advance...
(2015-03-26, 03:36)Nikxx Wrote: [ -> ]Watch Live Cricket Streaming Online & Enjoy Live Cricket Scores of India vs South Africa ... ICC Cricket World Cup - 2nd Semi Final. South Africa vs India Semi Final 2, Sydney Cricket Ground Free @ http://tvtimez.com | http://tvtimez.com | http://tvtimez.com

All, please report this stuff as SPAM. We don't need SPAM in XBMC Forums.
(2015-03-26, 12:48)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone, I'm new here Smile As I'm about to flash my MyGica ATV520e with a LinuxKodi I just wanted to ask (to be on the safe side) if the 'Version 1. Helix 14.1 Compiled 20-03-15' on the first page is the one for my device? If not, which one should I use? Tnx in advance...

Welcome, the build will work with the ATV520e. Do make sure you follow the instructions.
(2015-03-26, 18:50)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, the build will work with the ATV520e. Do make sure you follow the instructions.

Woohoo Smile I'll be following the instruction... Nod
(2015-03-26, 00:18)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-25, 18:26)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Russtyb and that is a useful link there too. That matricom firmware is only needed to load first if you are installing the openelec firmware it seems from reading the blurb on that linked to site. Nice thing is there is a Revert To Android file there so will try that if I can get it to boot up into recovery or get it to auto install from an SD bootable card.

Thanks Auxbox but sorry to hear you have bricked yours too. Strange no reset button at all on yours, must be one somewhere hidden well. If I can get my box back to Android then I will try the proper method using the reset button into recovery screen and manually install that Linux build you sent me from a USB stick/SD Card.

I will keep you informed here of any progress or new discoveries of course. and that may help others on here too who maybe thinking of going down this root..

I've pulled the thing apart and theres no actual button

That is bad news. One box model to avoid then.

Have some good news of a kind. I can get my bricked box back to Android v4,2,2 by following Step 1 in this youtube tutorial link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp2CWBcEd8I I downloaded the MX2-full-1.1.5-firmware-RC.zip and unzipped the three files within it to the root of a clean SD card as per the video. THis worked fine but it took some minutes for the installation to start on my bricked box so be very patient as it will happen (or at least it did on mine)

So box now booting back into Android 4.2.2 and reboots every time fine too. Tried Step 2 both using the youtube linked to download Linux Gotham file and your Helix 14.0 G18Ref one you posted Auxbox. Now they will all install via the normal recovery screen and indeed as per the video. I tried with and without deleting the cache and the factory reset and they install okay every time and the reboot option takes me into Linux XBMC Gotham 13.0 or Linux KODI Helix 14.0 if using Auxbox's link. This looked magic BUT then tried a reboot and nothing, just a blank screen and tried many times with different options and different MX2 zip files with and without factory resets. Each time will not reboot have to go back to reinstall Android and try again.

Any ideas why it will not reboot (tried with no SD card inserted too) . In this now bricked state doing a reset button reboot will not even bring back the recovery screen I have to reset button reboot with the Android recovery SD card inserted and wait a long time for it to install back to Android.

Nearly there then at least got out of the bricked state and back to Android but oh how slow and awful is Android running XBMC and also it is the old Frodo version 12.0 installed with this Android 4.2.2 so all very crappy.
Hi guys,

I flashed my ATV520e with the LinuxKody but, I can't connect via WiFi... is there anything I can do for it to recognize the WiFi hardware?
(2015-03-26, 23:14)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I flashed my ATV520e with the LinuxKody but, I can't connect via WiFi... is there anything I can do for it to recognize the WiFi hardware?

not at the moment, WiFi on the 520 does not work with helix. You can try the geniatech version on the first page.
(2015-03-27, 01:31)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-26, 23:14)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

not at the moment, WiFi on the 520 does not work with helix. You can try the geniatech version on the first page.

So, I should first revert to Andorid or I can just download the geniatech version to sdcard and repeat the procedure? Smile
If I need to revert, is this the procedure (the one under number 3 where it says 'How to revert back to android') ?
Suntribe you either use the latest and greatest Linux KODI Helix 14.x firmware WITHOUT WiFi just using an Ethernet cable from your router or you go back to Linux Frodo 12.3 or earlier version and carry out a small quick and very easy fix from McBeth1975 we have talked about here in this thread some time ago. To go back to Linux XBMC Frodo 12.3 (dated 2nd January 2014) you will likely first have to revert to Android and then flash to Linux Frodo 12.3 from there.

If you want the latest Linux KODI Helix 14.x AND WiFi then you will at this time need to change your box for a Geniatech made ATV1200 or ATV1220 as they work perfectly and though not the cheapest boxes out there are so far IMHO the best boxes for running Linux XBMC/KODI firmware, the ATV520 is just as good but only as I said above if you can dispense with wanting or needing WiFi

Even the old Frodo12.3 is far better being a Linux based OS than slow old Android bloatware which personally i just will not use, way too slow and restricted..
raymw, I have no intention to go back to old setup.. it is much faster this way, and after all, the only app I used on 'old' setup was kodi, so there's no reason to go back.. The only thing that bothers me is that wifi... for now it seems I have two possible options... one is to revert this box to the original setup, sell it and buy a new one (you sad 1200/1220 would be good), or to buy a long enogh cable so I could have it connected..

Also, I'm thinking maybe to try to flash it with maybe some older xmbc only because of that wifi that I need :/

Is there any hope that developers will fix this wifi issue?

Aha, there is one more thing I noticed.. So, everything (except wifi) works, but I constantly have a red light turned on... no blinking, no nothing, just allways on - is this expected? Wink
(2015-03-27, 12:37)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]raymw, I have no intention to go back to old setup.. it is much faster this way, and after all, the only app I used on 'old' setup was kodi, so there's no reason to go back.. The only thing that bothers me is that wifi... for now it seems I have two possible options... one is to revert this box to the original setup, sell it and buy a new one (you sad 1200/1220 would be good), or to buy a long enogh cable so I could have it connected..

Also, I'm thinking maybe to try to flash it with maybe some older xmbc only because of that wifi that I need :/

Is there any hope that developers will fix this wifi issue?

Aha, there is one more thing I noticed.. So, everything (except wifi) works, but I constantly have a red light turned on... no blinking, no nothing, just allways on - is this expected? Wink

I would get the long cable. Wifi chip on the 520e is a broadcom and very slow.
Ok then, long cable it will be...

What about the red light? I also noticed that there is no way to put the device to 'sleep'... if i go to 'shutdown' in kodi, what happens exactly? Also, i noticed that if i leave the box turned on for entire day it simple freezes and there's nothing i can do except to plug the power out and plug it back in... Is this expected or something wrong happened during the flash?

Is there anywhere I can look for the logs of what caused the box to freeze?

Uf... tons of questions Smile
or instead of getting a long cable, get a wifi repeater with an Ethernet port. I went this route for over a year, worked well.

something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...-_-Product

in the end I just bit the bullet and ran cat6 cable down the side of my house and put Ethernet jacks on the wall so I could connect my office to living room.

stick to Ethernet (in some way) and use the 14.1 helix build. it's working great for me (and I have the ATV520).
(2015-03-27, 19:13)suntribe Wrote: [ -> ]What about the red light? I also noticed that there is no way to put the device to 'sleep'... if i go to 'shutdown' in kodi, what happens exactly? Also, i noticed that if i leave the box turned on for entire day it simple freezes and there's nothing i can do except to plug the power out and plug it back in... Is this expected or something wrong happened during the flash?
I have an ATV1200. My red light stays on even though Linux has shutdown. If the box freezes when left unattended I have read that having an RSS feed running helps prevent that happening.
my red light stays on my 520 too, when it's shut down.

I got rid of the freezing for the most part by using the fanart screensaver. don't use "dim", use something more active (like rss feed, or fanart).

I like shutdown because it exits kodi, giving you a fresh start every time.