Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-04-03, 06:04)Grand Total Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-02, 17:47)bodgit Wrote: [ -> ]Strange, i had no problems at all.
Try downloading the revert to android zip from the ember site again and re flash the box, make sure you follow the instructions exactly.
I did manage to get my boxes back to Android 4.1 eventually, but they do not care for Ember at all. And yet I have no problem with AuXBoX's own build.
See photograph below. Despite this, my box will not boot into EmbER.

Edit: I just noticed the exclamation mark on the penguin's foot. I wonder what that means.

Try downloading the revert to android zip from the ember site again and re flash the box, make sure you follow the instructions exactly.
I did manage to get my boxes back to Android 4.1 eventually, but they do not care for Ember at all. And yet I have no problem with AuXBoX's own build.

At this point you could try installing the, EXTRACTME_EmbER-Amlogic-G02REF-update_v1.0.0.zip file and see if that would work, no real idea if it would.

My impressions at this stage of Ember are that it is slightly slower than Auxboxs build, if he releases a 14.2 build that would be good.Big Grin
(2015-04-04, 15:40)bodgit Wrote: [ -> ]

At this point you could try installing the, EXTRACTME_EmbER-Amlogic-G02REF-update_v1.0.0.zip file and see if that would work, no real idea if it would.
That is exactly what I did. It appears that I am not alone with the constant reboot re-install cycle, but I'm no closer to a solution.
I tested out some local content (movies on my nas) with ember. I grabbed some 1080p content (8gig mkv) and it seems that some frames are being skipped. The info shows skipped frames but more importantly i notice some choppiness when watching. I do notice both CPUs getting almost to 100%. I can't recall if this was happening to auxbox build since I almost always use kodi addons.
Oh well i think i'm gonna stick to auxbox build.
I don't need 14.2 since his 14.1 build is running like a champ on my box.
You all know this "if it ain't broken, why fix it..."
Just away for Easter at moment . When I get back I'll build one with helix 14.2 if you like.
(2015-04-04, 23:49)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]Just away for Easter at moment . When I get back I'll build one with helix 14.2 if you like.
If you like? Smile I suspect more people use your build and are waiting for 14.2 than you realise.
Hi once more, I've given up with the nano for the time being & dug my old gbox midnight out to play with, i'ts a single core with Amlogic Meson3 8726M SKTSH. I've tried various files in to no avail & with the android side I can not get any newer than 4.0.4. I do not know if I got say Jelly Bean or Kit Kat in would it be any better?? & on the Linux side the best I can get to go in is "STATICS" which is running on "FRODO 12.0" any suggestions to better any of them would be great.The only way I can think it might work would be to change "8726M SKTSH" to the "g02ref" but do not know if I can do this.Thanks in advance for any advice.
(2015-04-05, 17:01)joshua99 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi once more, I've given up with the nano for the time being & dug my old gbox midnight out to play with, i'ts a single core with Amlogic Meson3 8726M SKTSH. I've tried various files in to no avail & with the android side I can not get any newer than 4.0.4. I do not know if I got say Jelly Bean or Kit Kat in would it be any better?? & on the Linux side the best I can get to go in is "STATICS" which is running on "FRODO 12.0" any suggestions to better any of them would be great.The only way I can think it might work would be to change "8726M SKTSH" to the "g02ref" but do not know if I can do this.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well I was given this link HERE back in February by a friend, which amazingly works very well and upgrades my old Sumvision Nano Slim+ M3 single core box to a fully working Linux KODI Helix 14.0 and uses a PIVOS compile, so thanks to them and indeed my friend too. Tested it out quite thoroughly and other than three small problems listed bleow it works brilliantly.

Firstly you get a briefly displayed random coloured dot corrupted display at boot up instead of the usual A9 flash screen and then all is okay with the correct PIVOS boot up flash screen and the KODI Helix 14.0 one and then into the usual confluence home screen.

Secondly it is NOT true 1080 resolution as we now get with the G012Ref and G18Ref screens but upscaled 720 when you select 1080 so same as prior to Gotham 13.1, Again minor as with screens smaller than 50" sitting at normal home viewing distances you probably will be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Thirdly although the standard remote works perfectly with this build in all other respects, when you hit the red shut-down button it does just that without the three options (including reboot) being displayed first. Unfortunately the /root/etc folder seems to be Read Only so cannot change the remote.conf file without sodding about with SSH which I can rarely be bothered to do especially for small issues like this one. Again this is fairly minor problem only for those who like the shut-down options..

Of course as always do this upgrade at your own risk and read the instructions first of course.
(2015-04-06, 09:34)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-05, 17:01)joshua99 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi once more, I've given up with the nano for the time being & dug my old gbox midnight out to play with, i'ts a single core with Amlogic Meson3 8726M SKTSH. I've tried various files in to no avail & with the android side I can not get any newer than 4.0.4. I do not know if I got say Jelly Bean or Kit Kat in would it be any better?? & on the Linux side the best I can get to go in is "STATICS" which is running on "FRODO 12.0" any suggestions to better any of them would be great.The only way I can think it might work would be to change "8726M SKTSH" to the "g02ref" but do not know if I can do this.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well I was given this link HERE back in February by a friend, which amazingly works very well and upgrades my old Sumvision Nano Slim+ M3 single core box to a fully working Linux KODI Helix 14.0 and uses a PIVOS compile, so thanks to them and indeed my friend too. Tested it out quite thoroughly and other than three small problems listed bleow it works brilliantly.

Firstly you get a briefly displayed random coloured dot corrupted display at boot up instead of the usual A9 flash screen and then all is okay with the correct PIVOS boot up flash screen and the KODI Helix 14.0 one and then into the usual confluence home screen.

Secondly it is NOT true 1080 resolution as we now get with the G012Ref and G18Ref screens but upscaled 720 when you select 1080 so same as prior to Gotham 13.1, Again minor as with screens smaller than 50" sitting at normal home viewing distances you probably will be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Thirdly although the standard remote works perfectly with this build in all other respects, when you hit the red shut-down button it does just that without the three options (including reboot) being displayed first. Unfortunately the /root/etc folder seems to be Read Only so cannot change the remote.conf file without sodding about with SSH which I can rarely be bothered to do especially for small issues like this one. Again this is fairly minor problem only for those who like the shut-down options..

Of course as always do this upgrade at your own risk and read the instructions first of course.

Thanks a lot I will give it a go on my "GBOX midnight 2.2" later & report back.
Happy Easter to everyone that celebrates it..
happy belated easter Smile

ember is actually running pretty well on my 520. the stuttering issue I was having with one of my mkvs seems fine now, so I can't really complain about anything.

I think I'll stick with it for now.
(2015-04-06, 10:47)joshua99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-06, 09:34)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi Ray, no go I'm afraid all I get is unable to mount sd card & no files found; The link above that you posted has only one disc image file in it & nothing else, are there some files missing from the link?? or should there only be the one. Cheers. Josh.
(2015-04-07, 22:58)joshua99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-06, 10:47)joshua99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-06, 09:34)raymw Wrote: [ -> ]Well I was given this link HERE back in February by a friend, which amazingly works very well and upgrades my old Sumvision Nano Slim+ M3 single core box to a fully working Linux KODI Helix 14.0 and uses a PIVOS compile, so thanks to them and indeed my friend too. Tested it out quite thoroughly and other than three small problems listed bleow it works brilliantly.

Hi Ray, no go I'm afraid all I get is unable to mount sd card & no files found; The link above that you posted has only one disc image file in it & nothing else, are there some files missing from the link?? or should there only be the one. Cheers. Josh.

Try this thread, you should find what your looking for in here
Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices
I do not know your box but I am right in assuming it is a single core M3 box Huh If not of course the image file I pointed you to will not work. Sure there is just the the_hydra-linux-Kodi-14.0-pivos-m3-2014-12-31signed.img file that you point to when you are in recovery mode in the usual way with M3 boxes flash upgrades.

Auxbox the advantage of the linked to build I pointed joshua99 to is that it is of course Helix 14.0 rather than Frodo or Gotham, and it does test out very well indeed I have to say. Certainly breathes new life into these now old M3 boxes that many folk have.

So Auxbox how did you get on with your MX2 box and the latest Ember G18Ref convert build ?? Did it unlock your box as it did with me ?? I am now happily running Ember Helix 14.2 on my generic MX2 box. May indeed order some more of these Generic MX2 boxes as the lower price and good operation may be attractive for my contacts here. Sadly though these boxes do NOT come with an HDMI lead included so that adds some more money to the price and makes the difference to the Geniatech prices less attractive of course as they do include the HDMI lead..