Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Showing same live-TV channel on multiple XBMC's ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have done plenty of searche's but can't seem to find an answer to this.

Is it possible to have the same live TV stream going to several XBMC clients / backends at the same time all in sync?

I want to start Live-TV on one XBMC and then "connect" from another, and then another having 3 TV's playing the same stream at the same time. Both picture and sound in sync through the house.

I just can't find out if this is possible?

My setup is a Win7 PC as backend with a dualtuner and NPVR on it.
Around the house is a mix of PC's , Raspberry's and very soon also an Android-TV-box.

So far I only use the main PC for live tv, I just moved house so everything is like starting over and I do not mind if I have to change backend to somthing else.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Robert
You can watch the same channel simultaneously on as many devices as you want, but you won't be able to start them automatically on all devices whenever you switch to a channel on your main device. Even if you technically could script the whole thing so that each device starts streaming the same channel upon a certain event (like a remote keypress) there's no guarantee that they will be absolutely in sync.
Thanks Negge,

I was hoping there would be a "sync" feature like "multiroom" audio, problem is that some front-ends will be cabled and some on WiFi, without testing this yet I would expect quite a big difference in delay making it awkward in places where the sound can be heard from both sources.

Any experts working on this or is the feature not wanted in general? Anybody with any experience on this?

Again thanks for your fast reply.

Rob
I doubt anyone is working on this, I fail to see how it could be useful. If you move from one room to another and you want to continue watching there, just zap to that channel.
Hi Negge,

My point being that I like to have the morning news on both in the lounge and the kitchen when getting up and getting the kids ready for school.

I live in a open space house where the kitchen and lounge is like one big room so if the picture and sound is not close to synchronized it will be a little shitty :-(

Not the end of the world but this is my main reason. As I said earlier it is not up and running yet, so I see how it all works first..

Thanks anyway...
Synchronised video is awfully difficult from a technical standpoint. Even synchronised audio is hard to do - although Slimdevices/Logitech do it well. Try the radio news, kids don't need TV stimulation in the morning Smile (I hate morning TV myself, I need to keep my eye on the toast burning)

There are many problems, not the least of which is different latencies in each machine (hard drive, video processing, etc).

One way of course is to have one rendering device playing to multiple screens via an hdmi splitter and long HDMI cables. But that is not what you were suggesting.
I do this now, but I have a low tech way to have them in sync. I start the channel on each device and they are usually off by a couple of seconds. I just find the one that is too fast and pause it until it is close. Usually takes a few tries to dial it in, but it works.