Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues loading XBMCbuntu via USB Stick.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to install the Live XBMC, and have followed the quick start instructions, however everytime I load it from my USB stick, it says the following:

SYSLINUX 4.06 EDD, etc.
Loading the boot file...
Booting...

It then fails and goes to a generic Windows Boot Manager screen.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change, etc.

FYI the file it's referencing is \Boot\BC

Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

I do have a 500gb HDD installed that has Windows 7 on it, however I don't use this install, so I'd like to just install over top of it using the XBMCbuntu install. To even bypass this error though, I've tried to remove the HDD all together so the only device to read is my USB stick.

I know I could install the Windows version, however that copy of Windows is not registered and will expire in a week or two. Also just hoping to use this machine for XBMC.

As for hardware. This is an Intel Core2Quad Q6600, with an nVidia GTX 260 in it.
The version I downloaded was from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/ and is "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso"

I believe that's the relevant information. Anything else, just ask.
(2013-12-15, 21:36)Solor Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to install the Live XBMC, and have followed the quick start instructions, however everytime I load it from my USB stick, it says the following:

SYSLINUX 4.06 EDD, etc.
Loading the boot file...
Booting...

It then fails and goes to a generic Windows Boot Manager screen.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change, etc.

FYI the file it's referencing is \Boot\BC

Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

I do have a 500gb HDD installed that has Windows 7 on it, however I don't use this install, so I'd like to just install over top of it using the XBMCbuntu install. To even bypass this error though, I've tried to remove the HDD all together so the only device to read is my USB stick.

I know I could install the Windows version, however that copy of Windows is not registered and will expire in a week or two. Also just hoping to use this machine for XBMC.

As for hardware. This is an Intel Core2Quad Q6600, with an nVidia GTX 260 in it.
The version I downloaded was from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/ and is "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso"

I believe that's the relevant information. Anything else, just ask.

I was running a Win7 HTPC with XBMC Frodo and decided to get rid of all of the Windows crap I never use by switching to XBMCbuntu. I had issues with the "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso" file as well and went with the "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.iso" version instead and threw in an ATI video card. I used this utility - "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.1.exe" to place the ISO on a USB Thumb drive.

- I then disconnected all of my internal hard drive SATA cables and power cables and left the hard drive that had me Win7 OS will on it.
- I went into my bios so that changed setting so that it would boot off of my USB drive. Some older PC's do not have this option.
- Gparted can be used to delete the Win7 installation later
- Use Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.1.exe to burn the "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso" or "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.iso" onto your thumb drive
- Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.1.exe will give you an option in Step 1 to select your Linux Distro you are going to want to burn to your thumbdrive. In your case you will want XBMCbuntu under the "Other Distros" category
-Step 2 you will navigate the program to where you downloaded your xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso" or "xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.iso" files
-Step 3 - navigate to your thumbdrive and then select "Create".
Once the process is completed, insert the thumbdrive into your XBMCbubut Computer and cold boot to the USB and follow the menus.

Good luck.