Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [TUT/FIXED] ANDROID APPS FROM XBMC HOMESCREEN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so just a few moments ago, I was frustratedly posting up saying how it's not working, and everything is broken, christmas is ruined and the dog got ran over. Turns out it was a simple fix.

Ok: My problem was, I could access ANDROID apps from the PROGRAMS > ANDROID APPS > "NAME OF APP". It would open absolutely fine. However, If i were to add the program to favourites, and say, place them onto the homescreen / main menu. It wouldn't work (that's not entirely true, I did have them working, but it would only work on certain builds of xbmc). The xbmc logs just told me there was an exception (i'm starting to think it was an overloaded exception).

This is what i've done to fix the issue:

navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata - This location is usually hidden, so root / view-all hidden files.

There you should find:

favourites.xml and guisettings.xml

We can edit them in notepad, or ASTRO Text Editor.

In favourites.xml -> StartAndroidActivity(bbc.iplayer.android), mine had &quot on it, which i imagine were parsed out.
The important bit, in guisettings.xml -> HomeItem.1.path we had: >StartAndroidActivity(bbc.iplayer.android,return)
I removed the ,return.. and bingo, it's working straight from the homescreen again.

A bit further into the subject, the bbc.iplayer.android (is the package), and the next part could be the intent. It seems like there's a class that searches for an intent (or action) within an application instead of just loading it? I'm not entirely sure.

But yay, all fixed.
Nice catch! Thanks for the guide.
Thanks for digging that out.
I'll check on the root cause.
How would I do this for Netflix? It comes up as a PlayMedia Favorite in the favourites.xml file. Won't launch at all from the Favourites. It will launch by going directly to the android app under android programs in xbmc.

Any suggestions?
(2014-01-31, 09:42)Silar Wrote: [ -> ]How would I do this for Netflix? It comes up as a PlayMedia Favorite in the favourites.xml file. Won't launch at all from the Favourites. It will launch by going directly to the android app under android programs in xbmc.

Any suggestions?

are you using xbmc frodo perhaps?
this bug should be fixed in gotham based nightly builds.
2784 (PR)
(2014-01-31, 12:46)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-31, 09:42)Silar Wrote: [ -> ]How would I do this for Netflix? It comes up as a PlayMedia Favorite in the favourites.xml file. Won't launch at all from the Favourites. It will launch by going directly to the android app under android programs in xbmc.

Any suggestions?

2784 (PR)

Gotcha.. Not using Gotham. Too many addons I use that's not compatible..
(2014-01-31, 12:46)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]

Any suggestions?

2784 (PR)

Is there no workaround for Frodo?