Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
i can not get the 'spin down hd' function to work at all while i play movie.

i used this intensvely with xbmp cause my hd is quite noisy..

i put time to 1 mn but after 1 mn my hd still makes the same noise as if some part of the program was still using it somehow.

i thought maybe xbmc appeals to hd more than xbmp so i checked with the screen saver and the hd indeed stops at the requested time but this is only when i do nothing...

please let me know if someone can get the hd to stop while video play and what i should do to get this working

thks
here is more info on this issue with non working hd spindown during video playback.

- it does not work, only when video is full screen, i.e if you click on menu and leave the movie playing in the small frame and wait 1 mn u'll get the hd to spin down. but if the movie is full screen then no way to get the hd to spin down :-(

- this pb appears only with the latest cvs dated from 12.02.2004. i check with previous builds from 01.02.2004 and sooner and there was no pb.

hope this can help

ludo
if anybody interested.

the hd can be spinned down while streaming (relax) a movie from pc with xbmc cvs 12.02.2004. the only solution i found accidently is :

- load the movie. after 1-2 sec. pause the movie and wait 1 mn (set to 1 mn in your settings both screen saver & hd spin down) so that the screen saver starts and hd spins down
- then un-pause

=> voilà !!! u can watch your movie wihtout the hd noise !

ok i admit it's a bit complicated and i am sure this will be fixed (if not already) in further builds anyway that's a way to get it working for the time being.

cheers.

lud
lud, thanks for bringing up this issue. i'd also be interested in seeing better support for hard disk spindown. overall, the xbox is tons better than my old dvd player, but i gotta admit that the dvd player was nowhere near as noisy.

boris
i have a different issue with hd spin down. when i watch movies, the xbox actually tries to shut off the hd but turn it on right away. it causes the movie to pause for a couple of seconds every a few minutes. it gets so annoying that i disable the hd spin down.
erpi99,

i am quite surprised with your post. are you using the latest xbmc cvs 12.02.2004 or something else ?

i've been doing quite some testing and never had the hd to stop and restart while playing a movie. i had the same stop/ start hd only when the screen saver started (while i did nothing:-)) hd restarted on its own because i had given different timing in settings like 1 mn for screeen  saver and 2 mn for hd spin down.

now if you really get this hd stop/start while playing a movie with xbmc 12.02.2004 is this not because your movie is not streamed from your pc but read from your xbox hd ?

hope it helps and if not i am lost :-)

lud
i use xbmc cvs 12.02.2004 and smb to play movies.
i hope this request is posted in the appropriate place.

for those who have a noisy hd (those who own a maxtor will understand me :-)) it would be nice to have the same 'thickable ' function as in xbmp : reduce hd rotation when playback.

the only way to obtain this at the moment is to specify 1 mn in spec for hd spindown and start movie, pause it , wait 1mn and un-pause, which is working but not optimum :-)

question : could we have this function working when playing a full mp3 or a cda album ? i noticed that the hd restarts at the beginning of each new track.

thxs

lud
uh, isn't this already a configureable option in main .xml config file?
hi thebeast,

i spent quite a lot of time trying to configure correctly this hd spin down function and did not obtain the result i had with xbmp. so either i missed something (which is very possible :-)or this option is not fully operationnal.

note that what i want is the hd to be quiet during video and audio playback. that's what i can not have. if you refer to simple hd spin down while xbox does nothing. i have that already (set the time to x mn in general settings)

you talked about "configureable option in main .xml config file"
i guess you refer to the xboxmediacenter.xml., which i checked again but saw nothing related to hd. if i am blind and saw nothing, please help.

if not i guess this post remains valid for feature request...

lud
i guess what you want is hd spindown if you are playing the movie from elsewhere other than the hd (over network probably).

otherwise, you need the hd on if the movie is on the hd (at least that is what i think hehe).

sound right?

ts
hmm.. i'm actually looking at the code and it looks like it currently does that. if playing from the hd, it does not spindown. but otherwise, it does.

maybe there is a bug somewhere but look at this peice of code that disables spindown if the file being played is from the hd:

if ( cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) )
{
m_bspindown=false;
}

check application.cpp if you are interested.

i have not tested so i can't be sure, but by just looking at the code, it looks like it should behave the way you want.

ts
hi tslayer,

i am glad that u're looking into that.

yes u're right what i am trying to get is :

hd to spin down while i am playing (movie, or mp3) streamed from pc.

this function is marvelously working on xbmp: automatically from the very 1st second of movie play (just after cache is being built, i believe).

for xbmc :
- if i leave the hd spindown time to zero in settings => the spinout will never happen. that's normal
- if i put it to 1mn : the spindown will happen only if nothing is played, i.e the spindown does not happen on its own after 1 mn of movie/mp3 playback.

in fact what be ideal is to have it (like in xbmp) happen from the very first second of movie/mp3 play not after 1mn.

the only solution i found (it's quite silly) is to start movie, pause it for 1mn, then hd spins down, then unpause movie : hd does not start again and i can watch the whole movie without noise.

for what regards to my looking into code, i am afraid i am far too uncompetent :-( i can build cvs and tell u (as an end user of the program) what works and what does not, but i have no experience in coding :-)
i see now what you meant, my bad. i think this feature makes sense (i also have a maxtor), but i've no idea what the technical feasability of implementation is. it would be nice, if everything possible to load into ram, was loaded into ram, and continually adjusted as memory was needed for other purposes, ie. loading extensions (cd ripper, etc.).
the harddrive should spin down when playing video/music of the dvd-rom drive too, ...i'm not sure how to find out if it does or not.

ps! it be great if spindown code could be intelligent enough to detect and spin-up again if media on hdd is next on a playlist
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5