Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Snow Leopard Eject
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a mac mini using snow leopard. All works fine when I use an original DVD disc (can play and eject and so on). However if i used one of my many DivX dvd's I can play it from the file menu (this should work from the disc menu) however i can't eject the disc from the menu. I have to press the eject on the keyboard to do this

I can watch the files fine if I browse the contents via the file menu but i can eject it without using the original Mac Keyboard. Is there a work around for this somehow?
the play disc feature (including eject) is only available for dvds...
Yes i came to that conclusion. the question is why? Why only dvd's?

In my case i have many cd's with files on them (mostly divx video files) that i want to play via xbmc and be able to eject... I also have music CD's that i want to listen and eject via XBMC...

It seams to me that the programmers would of had to put in extra work to limit the ejection to only dvd's where as really it should simply eject whatever is in the tray...

the question becomes can this be fixed? and if not can someone let me know what source code file deals with this and i'll simply look into it and remove the 'check for dvd' part as its... well.. not logical.
It's more that the way XBMC interacts with an optical disk depends on if it is a certain type or not. If it's not something XBMC normally handles, and is just seen as a data drive like any external drive would be, then various options are completely turned off, not just eject.

There's an easy way around this, though. A script can be used to eject the disk, and that can be mapped to a remote or keyboard key, or even modify an on-screen button to eject. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it works.
that would be interesting if it worked... i think it would need to be mapped to an on-screen button. In any theme but the stock one is probably easiest to deal with.
(2013-12-29, 02:28)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]the play disc feature (including eject) is only available for dvds...
Really ? News to me as it works fine for me... Wink

I frequently play DVD+R discs which only have mp4 / avi files on them, I play them via Video->Files, but I am able to eject them from the disc sub-menu without any trouble.

Sometimes I need to click eject a second time, especially if the drive has spun down and gone idle for a period of time, but I get the same problem with normal DVD video discs - the first eject wakes up the drive and spins it up but doesn't eject, the second eject actually ejects the disc. If the disc is already spinning it ejects the first time.

2007 Mac Mini 1.83Ghz running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Mind you I am using Amber instead of Confluence - perhaps inability to eject a file based disc is a limitation of some skins not XBMC itself ?

Edit: just tested it in Confluence and I was able to eject a normal file DVD from the disc menu there too, so I'm mystified why you all say it doesn't work...to the original poster - I'd give Amber a try anyway to see if it helps - its a much better skin than Confluence, and if the Disc menu is not showing up for you on file based DVD's it might help.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot that there's an eject option from the context menu when you select the dive/disc in Videos -> Files.
Ok now you really have me confused - I just looked and there is no eject option in the context menu within Video->Files on the entry for the DVD. As I said, I just use the normal main menu Disc option eject sub-menu. (The disc option itself does nothing on a file disc but the eject option works)
I guess it depends on how it is connected. I don't have an internal optical drive on my MBP, so I connect an external one via USB and can eject it from Videos -> Files. That must just be limited to "removable" media, being USB, and not all disks are seen as "removable". That would be the most logical place for an always-on eject button, I suppose.