Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: EPG timeline, name positioning (@ xhaggi)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since the option to show previous (old) shows the timeline I find it annoying that somtimes you have to scroll back to see what show is currently on. Is it possible to implement so that shows that have already started have there names visible on the screen.

Existing problem ITV HD
Yes, this is really annoying.
IMO skin should have a little "info" area at the bottom that contains the shows name + EPG description, but maybe that's just me. But i agree that the labels should start at the left edge of the visible area.
One thing to bear in mind, if the text starts at the left edge of the visible area then it would probably also be really annoying if they all started scrolling Smile

Since in the screenshot above, I'm guessing scrolling would have to happen for most of the labels, but I guess it would be sensible to only scroll the selected item.
Maybe the view should positioned in a way that current EPG is visible and the current time bar is at the right end.
(2013-12-27, 11:18)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]IMO skin should have a little "info" area at the bottom that contains the shows name + EPG description, but maybe that's just me. But i agree that the labels should start at the left edge of the visible area.

i agree, we should do it like other skins, showing the info of the current item in a special info area.

I also agree about an info box, but it doesn't solve the problem. In the screenshot above you'd still have to scroll down to the channel to see what is on. If we could have title shown provided the box meets a minimum size (can even truncate long titles) it allows fast visual scanning and skipping pages at a time. Hope that makes sense

Edit: Photo of how it is in the UK - Note the truncated text and when the box is too small an "i" for info (you then have to press info to see what is on):

Wow, old sky guide there Wink. Though i think sky has it pretty perfect. Also notice the small arrows for the programs that has already started.

Another thing ive noticed is when scrolling it should scroll by a set amount of time, ie 30 mins each scroll rather than the length of a program. The way it currently is a bit clunky and awkward. So like sky the epg grid should effectively be split into blocks of time for the purpose of scrolling (not program selection). Hope ive explained it well enough Smile.
Please make the feature to go back in the epg optional for the user with the ability to turn it off and have it the old way. I have asked about this in another thread because for me it is a useless feature and it breaks usability in several ways. To force the user to go back in the epg in order to see whats on for a specific channel is not user friendly. To provide the information at the bottom is fine, but it is not good enough because you have to move your eyes up and down constantly which means that you loose the overview that the epg provides.

Or I suggest that you look at Mediaportal and how this is implemented there. They provide the possibility to go back in the epg, but the full title is always visible and adjusted to the left.

/Marcus
Today's nightly with the description looks really nice. Too bad it is spoiled by that awful blue line that obfuscates and the most important part of the guide. I hope this will be rethought before the Gotham release.

Martin