Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Switching audio output from remote control?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to either program a button on the remote control, or anything similar, to switch the Audio output from HDMI (which is connected to the TV) to SDPIF (Amp), and back again? At the moment I have HDMI set as audio, but if I enable passthrough it will passthrough for example DTS to the Amp, but not send the signal to the TV.. We dont tend to switch on the Amp for all movies, hence at the moment I have to manually go in and switch the output between the 2.

Ideally I would want all formats to both HDMI and SPDIF, all the time.. Is this possible?

(Running Xbmcbuntu, Gotham Alpha 11)

On Frodo this was easier, as I could just bring up the menu while watching a movie and switch between the 2 there.. Now I have to go to /settings/system/audio output to switch)
Is there perhaps a command I could issue from a custom item in the menu to switch between HDMI and SPDIF?

(I dont mind manually editing the files if that is required. Smile )
If not, is it atleast possible to bring the option to switch audio back to the audio menu you get when watching a movie? It saves you having to navigate through a number of screens to be able to switch Audio.
I'm guessing there's a way to bind a custom keypress to it - I'm in the process of working out remote customisations at present...
This thread may give you a starting point:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=167914
Thank you Teeedubb, some interesting reading.. Im not sure if I am able to use that to write my own script - I certainly wouldnt want to have to restart xbmc every time I need to change audio. I was hoping there is a built in command (or number of commands) that could be used to switch (either from menu or remote key) seamlessly like you could in Frodo.

Preacher: sounds good.. Let me know if you manage to write something that will switch audio output. Smile
Just to update myself in case anybody else has similar issues.. The nightly of Gotham has the option to set which passthrough device to use, making it much easier to switch output that previously.. This is a great addition. Smile
Yeah thats right. This works great for Dolby Digital, etc. But a common stereo signal remains on the TV and will not be passthroughed to the AV-Receiver. So this is not a complete fix, but a little workaround. In my opinion you still need a possibilty to select the main audio output device, beside the option deep in the settings section.

Best Regards,

Reed
To go one further... I have single XBMC PC that outputs via HDMI to TV and can use either Speaker out of SPDIF out to my amplifier. The amplifier powers speakers on my patio that are music only.

I'd like to use the Android client from the patio to switch the XBMC from HDMI to SPDIF to support music or TV modes...

Sorry to "me too" on the OPs thread, wanted this to be another scenario of the same functional need.
It probably won't help you much, but with pulseaudio sink this is quite easily doable. pactl set-default-sink 0 or 1 or 2 and audio will just continue as is. Does not work for passthrough, though.

For xbmc the Engine needs a new method, e.g. NextDevice() or PrevDevice() or something, which would switch through the enumerated devices.

Prototype welcome.
I might add that I ended up uninstalling PulseAudio to get audio working from my HDMI - with it I only got audio from my SDPIF. Sad

I have no doubt PulseAudio has more potential - if it works. Smile