Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Image resolution on pictures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I have been testing XBMC on my Mac and it is excellent. However I find that the pictures get automatically downscaled and I don't understand why.

I have a upnp server which houses the pictures. When I view them on a PS3, they are fine, full resolution etc. However with XBMC they seem to always be downscaled to 800x600.

XBMC is running in full HD 1920x1080, so there is no issue there.

What I have found is:

- Pictures look excellent on PS3, with full resolution and nice zoom feature etc.
- Pictures are scaled down with XBMC to 800x600 and look a bit rough, like a 2MP camera despite being taken with a 20MP camera
- Videos are terrible on the PS3, the first 3 seconds are usually colour inverted and rough, the playback stutters a lot
- Videos are excellent on the XBMC, play instantly and look superb.

I would really like to just use XBMC and not use both devices depending on what is being viewed Smile

hoping there is some prefs settings I can change to stop the downscaling occurring on XBMC

thanks for your help
The pictures are scaled down. On purpose.

XBMC does that to guarantee a smooth UI and avoid stuttering and jerking when you are navigating through large libraries.

You can control that though.

You will need to use advancedsettings.xml to control the scaling:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...nartres.3E

The ImageRes and FanartRes tags control what you want to control.

You will also probably need to clean out the image cache you have already created and the easiest way to re-generate the artwork is to remove your video source completely and then re-add it.
Ah, so what should the exact text of the advancedsettings.xml file be for 1080p photos?
thanks for the response, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

I have tried to get it working but I don't know if the settings are actually being read in, I have created a file in the userdata dir and tried a variety of resolutions but none of them make a difference.

Ryans-MacBook-Pro:userdata ryanlloyd$ pwd
/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/userdata
Ryans-MacBook-Pro:userdata ryanlloyd$ more advancedsettings.xml
<advancedsettings>
<imageres>2048</imageres>
<fanartres>2048</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>

is there a way I can tell if the file is being read in by xbmc at launch?

thanks for your help with this
I've just looked at this again after getting some sleep and I see that you are battling with actual photographs, not cover art and fanart.

Sorry, I'm so used to helping people with movie related issues on this forum that I just assumed your problem was the usual one.

You actually have an entirely different problem. I've never actually even used XBMC to view pictures / photographs.

But to be honest, it's really not for that. You should probably consider using something else. XBMC is meant for movies and music primarlly.

The XBMC team members on this forum may be able to help you better.