Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Album Thumbnail Refresh/Delay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Been using XBMC for quite a long time. Have not had an album thumbnail display problem until moving to Frodo and Gotham. This problem has been reproduced on my HTPC as well as my more capable desktop computer.

Hoping that the (very) smart people on this forum would have additional suggestions that could be tried to solve this issue or at least provide some insight as to what might be causing it. Could be that the solution was already posted and i just missed it.

The problem is that when displaying the album thumb and then 'entering' the song list to select a song to play, when returning to the main display of the album thumbs there is a significant delay to refresh the album thumbs. This delay can range from 0.5 to 7-10 seconds. This occurs when using either the Confluence skin( wall of album thumbs ) or Aeon Nox skin 4.0.9( Wall, Showcase2 ) in both Frodo (12.2&12.3) and Gotham (13 Alpha 10). This problem appears to get worse as the number of albums is increased. That is, it is not very noticeable with 1500 albums but is very apparent with >3000 albums. The Eden version (11 RC2) running on either system ( HTPC or desktop computer ) does not exhibit this behavior in that the display is always snappy (no noticable delay) when 'entering' a selected album and then returning to the album thumb display.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pj7tdf0c8rx88ct/-SsjKM3t0a

This link points to a dropbox directory containing a video (M5.avi) that shows this behavior when on the desktop computer and the cpu load during the delay in thumbs being refreshed once returning to the main album thumb display. (Sorry for the quality, trying to keep the size down.) My HTPC CPU usage rails at 100% and my desktop computer uses ~ 15% CPU during this thumb refresh delay. The network activity is insignificant and the disk i/o doesn't change significantly ( as video was being recorded it does show disk activity but this does not occur if XBMC is operated normally ). As best i can tell, all of the thumbs have been cached locally as i scrolled through the entire album thumb display to force the thumbs to be cached. ( music library located on NAS 6 TB raid 5 drive connected with 1GB network link)

A XBMC log file is also included in this dropbox directory. Debug was turned on, i then scrolled to the Music/Album display, 'entered' the current album and then returned back to the album thumb display. The same delay behavior occurred during this sequence. XBMC was then shutdown.

Various 'advancedsettings.xml' settings, as suggested in the forum, have been tried. These are :

<useddsfanart>
<allowd3d9ex> (both true and false )
<forced3d9ex>
<algorithmdirtyregions> ( 0,1,2, and 3 )
<nofliptimeout> ( ranging from 0 to 1000 while changing dirty region algorithm type)

None of these settings has helped with this issue.

Have also have tried XBMC in full screen and windowed modes while modifying those advancedsettings parameters and that has not changed the behavior.

System(s) Details:

HTPC
--
Pentium G620T - Dual Core @ 2.2GHz
XBMC userdata located on 1 GB hard disk (7200 rpm)
2 GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 - 64 bit
1 GB network link
Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 - HDMI out - Driver Intel 9.17.10.3347
Sound - Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec - Digital Out ( microsoft driver - 6.1.7601.17514 )
H67M-ITX Motherboard

desktop Computer
--
Core i7 930 - Quad core @ 3.4 GHz
XBMC userdata located on 120 GB Solid state Disk
6 GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 - 64 bit
1 GB network link
ATI Radeon 4800 graphics card - DVI out - Driver ATI 8.850.0.0
Sound - SB Audigy 2 ZS ( analog out ) - Creative driver - 6.0.1.1377
Asus P6T Motherboard

I probably have forgotten to include some piece of relevant information about my system and/or setup. If so, let me know and i'll get it as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Sam