Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC-XVBA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this build is now deprecated although it's still running on two of my HTPC's. The third I updated today to the latest Gotham nightly because of the audio improvements. However, in my previous build, I was able to select any of my three DVI outputs and switch XBMC between them without having to exit it. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't seem to have made it into Gotham Sad

It's not a problem to export DISPLAY and move it that way, but it would be nicer to do it from within the GUI.

So, the question is, is it possible for me to build a version from source that includes that capability ?

Bear in mind, I've only been a Linux user for about 5/6 months, but I have built stuff from source before, and I can read and follow instructions (and use google Nod). My coding days sadly ended when the Z80 no longer ruled the world of computing although I have done bits and pieces since. If I can't do it, then I can't and I'll live with my workarounds, but I'd at least like to give it a try if anyone can point me in the right direction ?

Cheers

BE
https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/...nta-master <- all features that you had in there are still there - despite XVBA.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade
Cheers very much fritsch. Don't need the XVBA stuff anyway Wink
Regarding this feature (to select output)

Am I the only one having problem with it moving xbmc to main display (hdmi1) when a movie is finished playback if xbmc is not in focus.

Maybe my case is special, not many have this setup ?

I have Intel HD4600 hardware, I run XBMC on HDMI2 on my PJ and my desktop on HDMI1 on my monitor. With fernetmenta-master build this works perfect, I can move my mouse free between xbmc and desktop to control both. But xbmc must be in focus when playback of video finish (if not xbmc will move to hdmi1).
Sounds like a bug. As these X11 changes are gotham+1 candidates, it would be good to track those issues already now, head over to github.com/fernetmenta and post all relevant logs.
I'm running an nVidia 9800gt. I don't normally have mouse support enabled as its all controlled by remote, but I'll enable it and see if I get the same issue as soon as the TV becomes available. Certainly without mouse support, I don't experience the issue. Didn't on Frodo either. If I do get the issue I'll post logs, if not it may help to narrow it to the Intel hardware.

BE
ok, I'm kindo clueless here. So I would make a debug.log reproduce the issue and post it here:

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/issues

Huh

(I'm a user not a coder/contributor, but I'll do my part as far as my knowledge goes)
Seems it only happens when there is refresh rate change involved.
Yeah, just click the "new issue" button.

Kids sat happily watching a movie, mouse support and debugging enabled and XBMC has been in and out of focus a few times. Mouse is now back on the desktop screen so we shall see what happens Wink

I've got change display refresh rate to movie enabled.
so I posted a issue, hope I did it correct https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/issues/200
Can confirm that I don't have this issue. Regardless of whether I have a refresh rate change or not, XBMC stays on the correct output.

@KRA77 your log confirms XBMC calling xrandr with screen 0, hdmi2. Is screen 0 correct, I.E, are you running 2 separate X screens, or a twinview type setup ?
@black_eagle
Interesting, so it's not a general xbmc issue then, must be something else also in the mix.

afaik I don't run 2 x screens, I'm not sure how intel does the dual desktop/display output on linux, but it's default setup with xubuntu, no messing with xorg.conf.
So the difference in our setup is graphics card intel vs nvidia.
Maybe you also use a different window manager ?
Is your xbmc on primary output, I did some testing with primary to make xbmc start on hdmi2 before I found this build.

I will do more testing and return with my findings.
Hmmm, that could be it then. For ref, I've pasted my Xorg.conf http://paste.ubuntu.com/6672122/

You can see that there are two screens, 0 & 1, and two monitors, also 0 and 1. For obvious reasons I set monitor 0 to run on screen 0 and 1 on 1. If XBMC is not running, the screen is still there on the tv but it just shows a white background. Using Fernetmentas build, xbmc starts on the correct screen and stays there. With the official team-xbmc releases, the only way to move xbmc to the required screen is to start it as follows
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.1; xbmc &
This will start the official build on the tv rather than the monitor, BUT from looking at your log, I would imagine it would flip back to display 0.0 after a refresh change.

0.0 is my default screen where my desktop runs. As the standard build dosen't recognise multi-monitor output I think when it calls XRANDR for the return refresh rate that XRANDR would offer it the default screen to run on, as it wouldn't know the display had been exported. That would return it to my monitor.

I don't know if the terminology is the same on Intel graphics, but I did try twinview to start with. This just extends your desktop over the two monitors and you can drag programs between the two. This sort of worked, but I had instances of web browsers opening on the tv, or a new terminal window would be over there, so I did some reading and decided, 2 separate X screens was the way to go. In fact, as I have another as yet unused DVI port, I'm thinking of extending this further but with a completely separate X server to run on it. Still need to research this properly though Big Grin

Just to clarify your last question, no, XBMC does not run on my primary display, which is :0.0
Our setups are a bit different. I don't have a display 0.1.

It seems the solution you have is something I've tried to do on my Intel but never found out how. Because you change between XBMC and Desktop with ctrl-alt-f7/f8 right ? You have seperate outputs and cannot drag programs between them, I can just move my mouse back and forth, drag programs back and forth on both output. Probably like you describe twinview. I Managed to start xbmc on a seperate X screen, but I never managed to use them both at the same time. I could swap between F7/F8 but it would display the same on both output when I swap.

Regarding the issue I have,
I tried setting HDMI2 as primary but it made no difference.
I tried changing window manager, also had no effect.

I did however found one interesting event.
My display setup is HDMI1 on left and HDMI2 on right, so I changed that in XFCE setting to HDMI2 on the left.
And now when I start XBMC on HDMI2, and I start playback, HDMI2 changes refresh rate and xbmc/video moves to HDMI1, with this setup it changes on playback start, not on stop.

it seems like XFCE "hardcode" the "left of" display as primary and ignore xrandr. Maybe it's related.
(2014-01-01, 15:07)KRA77 Wrote: [ -> ]Our setups are a bit different. I don't have a display 0.1.

It seems the solution you have is something I've tried to do on my Intel but never found out how. Because you change between XBMC and Desktop with ctrl-alt-f7/f8 right ?

Nope. XBMC just runs on the TV and because its all operated by a remote, there is no need to switch between it and the desktop. There is also no window manager running on that screen either. If XBMC isn't running, the screen is just white, but I can move my mouse across into it, although with no window manager running, the pointer just appears as a black X.

To get it to work properly, you definitely need two separate X screens. A quick google threw up lots of results, for instance this which is an xorg.conf for a laptop using the internal screen and an external monitor. Its purposely an old thread as I figured that if it was possible 4 years ago on intel hardware, then it must surely be possible now Huh
Pages: 1 2