Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First install qestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there all,first all happy new year.
I am new on the forum and revered by openelec forum.
I want to change my diy nas to xbmc mediaplayer and storage.
I have an amd 4 core x965 cpu radeon 6870 and 16 gb of ram and 1x 60gb ssd and 6x2tb hdd's
I want to install the os on my ssd and use the hdd's for storage,also want to use sabnzbd couchpotato and sickbeard and maybe if it's there headphones as well for my music.
I want to have my hdd's in some kind of raid so i can use them as one big disk were all the media files are stored,not much need of security cause it's just media but when its there i'll use it anyway.
Is this in anyway possible and am i able to setup samba share's as well for my different mediaplayers tv's and win based laptop's?
And also is there an howto or guide how to make this all work together?
Currently using the machine just as a nas for streaming but it's connected to the main tv in living anyway and that's why i want to make it an kind of htpc with storage.
Want to use linux cause i'm not so thrilled about windows.
Hope that some of you experts can guid me through this proces so i can keep my wife and kids even more happy with the media then already is now.
I can do some basic linix commands from shell but i am not a real pro with it but eager to learn.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Maybe just start with the XBMCBuntu iso. It's an out-of-the-box Linux based solution. So you won't have to bother with installing Ubuntu and XBMC individually. Its my understanding that XBMCBuntu is lightweight in that it has the packages necessary to run XBMC, and not a lot else.
Ok and can it make my hdd's as a raid solution then for my storage?
Why do you want to raid them ? Is it for data security, or because you think it'll make adding you media to XBMC easier ? XBMC can be given multiple audio/video paths but will aggregate your files into one library, seamlessly switching between drives and directories without you knowing.

To answer your question though, no, XBMCbuntu will not raid your drives out of the box.
(2014-01-03, 19:07)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you want to raid them ? Is it for data security, or because you think it'll make adding you media to XBMC easier ? XBMC can be given multiple audio/video paths but will aggregate your files into one library, seamlessly switching between drives and directories without you knowing.

To answer your question though, no, XBMCbuntu will not raid your drives out of the box.
Ok that's a shame cause i want to keep al my hdd's as one so i have plenty of space to download too,so it's not really a security issue but more make one big storage and after that make files for like tv series movies music and so on.

So this is my goal to get it working.
Each HD would be accessible so its not like you're missing out on any space to download to? As black_eagle mentioned, once you point your library to each HD, you won't know the difference which source it's coming from. It will be presented in one library for movies, one for TV shows, one for music, and so on.

I don't see the point of RAID for a media server because of the above. You're not installing a file server with 1,000 clients here or running a small business. But to each his own. I'd say just maintain a backup like you would for your PC.
(2014-01-03, 22:05)bs0d Wrote: [ -> ]Each HD would be accessible so its not like you're missing out on any space to download to? As black_eagle mentioned, once you point your library to each HD, you won't know the difference which source it's coming from. It will be presented in one library for movies, one for TV shows, one for music, and so on.

I don't see the point of RAID for a media server because of the above. You're not installing a file server with 1,000 clients here or running a small business. But to each his own. I'd say just maintain a backup like you would for your PC.
Ok understandeble but why should i go to all the setup to put lke movies on hdd1/music on hdd2 and so on,id really like xbmcbuntu make them as 1 storage and then make the seperate files on it.
Or maybe i am asking to much combining an kind of nas with htpc possibilities or a nas with htpc possibilities?
(2014-01-03, 19:14)ikkeenjij36 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-03, 19:07)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you want to raid them ? Is it for data security, or because you think it'll make adding you media to XBMC easier ? XBMC can be given multiple audio/video paths but will aggregate your files into one library, seamlessly switching between drives and directories without you knowing.

Ok that's a shame cause i want to keep al my hdd's as one so i have plenty of space to download too,so it's not really a security issue but more make one big storage and after that make files for like tv series movies music and so on.

I use AUFS on Ubuntu to pool my storage drives together.
(2014-01-03, 22:45)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-03, 19:14)ikkeenjij36 Wrote: [ -> ]

I use AUFS on Ubuntu to pool my storage drives together.
Ok and that is also easy to do for a linux/ububtu noob?
I tried several times for like freenas but that also gave some troubles but after a lot of help from the forum ther i got it running.
Therefore i waned to trie something easier and even have a kind of htpc in the living roomthat can also stream to other devices in the house
Yeah its easy and its set and forget (unless you want to add extra drives ofcourse). Plus I find its better for home use in terms of wear and tear, power consumption and upgradability than raid5.

You need to put a line like this in /etc/fstab

none /media/Videos aufs br:/media/videos/0001=rw:/media/videos/0002=rw,create=pmfs 0 0

That line is a little different to the one I use but I won't be home for a few weeks so I can't post mine.

/media/videos is where the pooled drives will be.
/media/videos/0001 + 0002 is the drives that you want to pool.