Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Two graphics cards - How do I tell XBMCbuntu to use the other one?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Have an XBMC server where I would like to use the on-board video for IKVM, bios and console work and the NVidia card for all things XBMC/GUI.

Both are detected:
01:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 10)
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610] (rev a1)

I need to leave the Aspeed as primary in the bios so that bios screen etc is displayed on it but how do I configure Xorg / XBMC to use the Nvidia? At the moment XBMC will not start as the ASpeed controller has no 3D support.
I would think setting up a proper xorg.conf should force Xorg (GUI) to use whichever card you specify will the other stuff should just go to the default.
Thanks for the tip,

Adding the line below to the Nvidia device section of xorg.conf has XBMC loading:
BusID "PCI:6:0:0"

Would be the icing on the cake if someone could tell me how to get the text console output to the other video card which currently displays bootup messages all the way until Xorg initialization.
I just thought of a extra problem you will have. XBMC is going to lock and keyboard (and mouse) you have so you will have no way of controlling anything on the console.

I had that problem before buying a dedicated media centre when I wanted my laptop setup with multiple screens (built-in and HDMI) I got it to the point of seeing my normal desktop on the built-in and XBMC on the TV (HDMI) but could never control anything on the built-in when XBMC was running.
I suspect this delves into the confusing world of TTYs and other murky bits; was hoping someone had done this before successfully and had the appropriate config.
Install XBMC from this ppa. ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master Note that it is Gotham Alpha but it is a version with multiple monitor support. Its the same version thats currently running on my tv while at the same time I'm typing this on my desktop display. It works really well for me, although as it's alpha I would suggest backing everything up before installing it, just in case.
omg @black_eagle, I dont see how that ppa is going to resolve the ops query, its not displays being talked about, its actual video cards. As far as I can tell no xbmc build from anywhere can choose what video card to use. Its entirely a OS domain question.
If both displays are working and show a seperate screen, than you can simply select that screen / monitor from within XBMC
(2014-01-06, 12:44)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]omg @black_eagle, I dont see how that ppa is going to resolve the ops query, its not displays being talked about, its actual video cards. As far as I can tell no xbmc build from anywhere can choose what video card to use. Its entirely a OS domain question.

Because, I have two nVidia cards, and with that build, and also with wsnipex's XVBA Frodo build, I can select which output I want XBMC to use from the three available (two on one card, one on the other). Therefore, I assume that the OP will be able to do the same thing. Big Grin
Nice PPA version I will have to give it a try sometime. Not for my normal use but for showing XBMC off to other people who may like it but can't afford a extra system. It would really fill a market for people who can't afford much but want to multitask on the computer will something is playing on the TV.

As for the OPs question since this version exists I may have a option for him. I don't know how to have X (XBMC) on one and just base tty on the other but I am sure he could setup a multiple screen X session using both graphics cards then just run a basic terminal on the other (unless he wouldn't mind a full GUI even just a bare bones window manager) This would have way better support, found online.

Here is a good post on making the other desktop just be a bare terminal.
http://superuser.com/questions/562657/x-...ther-linux
(2014-01-06, 18:51)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-06, 12:44)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]omg @black_eagle, I dont see how that ppa is going to resolve the ops query, its not displays being talked about, its actual video cards. As far as I can tell no xbmc build from anywhere can choose what video card to use. Its entirely a OS domain question.

Because, I have two nVidia cards, and with that build, and also with wsnipex's XVBA Frodo build, I can select which output I want XBMC to use from the three available (two on one card, one on the other). Therefore, I assume that the OP will be able to do the same thing. Big Grin

Thanks for the tip Black Eagle. That might sort of work, I could display XBMC on the 3D accelerated display and plain desktop on the 2D card which is better than what I have now although its not ideal.

In this case I just want Xorg/XBMC running on the once 3D accelerated display (This is working with the one additional line mentioned above) and the console to be displayed on the primary 2D card (Currently this card displays all of bootup and then is left blank once XORG takes over). It is definitely an OS/Ubuntu question and I'm sure some sort of solution will exist to display the text console.

Wondering if this might contain some of the info I need:
http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
(2014-01-06, 20:11)shadow Wrote: [ -> ]Nice PPA version I will have to give it a try sometime. Not for my normal use but for showing XBMC off to other people who may like it but can't afford a extra system. It would really fill a market for people who can't afford much but want to multitask on the computer will something is playing on the TV.
Yeah, not really sure why it's not in the mainline build, as it means I can use one PC for both XBMC & as a regular desktop machine also. It is certainly a feature I would sorely miss now !!

(2014-01-06, 21:07)Krobar Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the tip Black Eagle. That might sort of work, I could display XBMC on the 3D accelerated display and plain desktop on the 2D card which is better than what I have now although its not ideal.

In this case I just want Xorg/XBMC running on the once 3D accelerated display (This is working with the one additional line mentioned above) and the console to be displayed on the primary 2D card (Currently this card displays all of bootup and then is left blank once XORG takes over). It is definitely an OS/Ubuntu question and I'm sure some sort of solution will exist to display the text console.

Wondering if this might contain some of the info I need:
http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html

Can't help you with the setup of xorg.conf sadly, as nvidia-settings wrote my config for me, but there is loads on the internet regarding multi-seat, multi-graphic card setups in various flavours of Linux. I just know what works for me. I have seen plenty of threads where focus has been an issue, IE not being able to use the mouse/keyboard away from XBMC, but with Fernetmenta's builds this hasn't proved a problem for me. Two instances of XBMC run on my PC, one displaying on my TV in my living room, and one in the kitchen. My desktop runs on the third output.

I'm pretty sure that what you want to do is doable with this build and a bit of tweaking of your xorg.conf file.

If all your monitors are connected and turned on you might want to try
Code:
sudo X -configure
cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If this fails with errors, then it is because X is running. In which case boot to recovery and select Root Shell then run the above but without sudo.
Better ways of generating xorg.confs Configuring resolution via xorg.conf (wiki) more nvidia friendly.
(2014-01-07, 01:59)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, not really sure why it's not in the mainline build, as it means I can use one PC for both XBMC & as a regular desktop machine also. It is certainly a feature I would sorely miss now !!

Because it is still being worked on. This is the normal way new features are being developed.
FernetMenta is one of the core developers of the new AudioEngine so he knows what he is doing Smile
When it is stable it will be PR'd to be merged with mainline. (but not until after Gotham)