Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: streaming from PC to TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have XBMC installed on my PC in one room and want to watch the movies on my LG smart TV in another. they are connected on my home network I can watch films which I have in a folder using windows media but how can I watch the movies from XBMC
The only option to do that is if the smart tv has proper UPNP support. (It won't).
There is no "streaming to every type of device" built into XBMC - it is designed to be directly attached to the TV and be controlled by a remote.
@nigel2000:

I think you are misunderstanding what XBMC is fundamentally supposed to be.

Yes, it does offer the ability to re-share media that has been shared with it via uPnP, but that's really not it's core function.

As Kib already said, it's core function is to be a media UI on a dedicated host machine that is attached DIRECTLY to your display device, preferably via an HDMI cable.

The expectation is that the machine hosting XBMC is physically in very close proximity to the display device and that you will control that machine with a remote control when you are sitting and watching your media, in the same room.

What you are looking for is a remote server and a client that can talk to that remote server and, I'm guessing, still give an XBMC type of UI.

Which means, what you are probably looking for is Plex.

Plex gives you 2 components, a server to manage your media and a client to access it with nice coverart etc.

If you are really lucky, your smart TV has a Plex client availabe in it's app store that you can just install and run on the TV and connect to the Plex server.

BEWARE: 2013 model LG Smart TVs have dropped Plex client support. But if you go to the Plex forums you will find guys are working on an independent client due to be released onto the store soon.