Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote Desktop for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Folks:

I'm new here but I've worked with computers for a long time. I've also used XBMC for a few years now too, so I think I might have some ideas about what folks want and whether it's at all possible.

I recently pick up an Android based mini PC, the My Gica atv520e, to play with. The goal was to use it as a media appliance with XBMC as the core. Under Android, XBMC performed almost flawlessly but had glitchy audio and annoying missing features. After a couple of days addressing those without success I got brave and installed Geniatech Linux/XBMC and it worked perfectly!

So, I got that 'appliance' feel I was looking for, a no-nonsense media center that does it's job well and nothing else!

So... now I'm starting to miss the things I did actually use on the media server this little box is replacing! I used it to play media on a web browser that XBMC didn't have access to and to capture TV and VCR video on a Hauppauge HD-PVR.

I know that a lot of folks would like some sort of web browser support on XBMC and I've seen a few attempts tried too. But what if we could just use our favorite browser regardless of what it was, an exact copy of our day to day browser?

Wouldn't it be possible to make an XBMC addon that connects to a remote desktop? Already my atv520e delivers HD movies and live TV without a glitch, could a remote desktop viewer deliver the same performance over a LAN?

Even if the remote desktop didn't deliver sound, it's functionality as a 'finder scope' for XBMC or just a chance to catch up on news would be a big bonus. Also, the addon would be by it's very nature cross-platform, completely contained within XBMC.

Here's a link to a VNC viewer written in Python:

https://code.google.com/p/python-vnc-viewer/

Would that be a good starting place for you coders out there?

It would be nice to get Hauppauge HD-PVR support on the My Gica too, but one thing at a time. A remote desktop addon would benefit more folks anyway!

tinker