Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Controlling WDTV Live from XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My issue:
Ive run out of hardware to run XBMC on around the house. I have one WDTV Live left not in use that im looking to put to good use in a room that is hardly ever used to watch media in, but it completes my whole house setup and as such want it ready to go in the event I need to through some media at it.

Ideally i would like to be able to control it from another XBMC instance, and with the uPNP stuff coming into new versions thought i would ask if anyone has done similar to me already. Im thinking in one of the coming versions there will be an option to "Play on uPnP target", am i correct?
From reading around i think this is currently in beta / alpha testing in the nightlies, i usual only go with Production versions so havent confirmed myself.

My Question:
Can i currently in the official 12.3 PC release, select media from my xbmc library and choose to throw it to the WD TV Live?
If so, how? Im thinking that i wont be able to yet, or i'd need a nightly release.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
It is probably as you suspect and have made observation. Read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179334 if you haven't already. I dont use this myself so honestly unless your wdtv live supports non transcoded content it should work if not remember XBMC uPnP does not transcode anything yet even in Gotham.
Thanks uNiversal, i have been watching that thread with interest.
Just thought best to ask in case another workaround had been found by someone in a similar situation.
Looking forward to seeing the end result of this work, and a massive thank you to all involved in the dev work as usual.
Why dont you just try it and see... and then you can post ya this works this doesnt
Will do tonight, when out of the office.