Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remove internal HDD's from file lists.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings to me because I'm new.

I just built an xbmc-standalone with a Debian Wheezy net image. Upgraded to SId/Jessie. Using lightdm. Installed Gotham dmo3 from debmultimedia repos. I have my internal HDD's set in /etc/fstab to mount in /media the same way I've been doing for years. It's also the same as I've been doing for the last 9 months or so with XBMC and numerous installs.

I've worked out all the issues and wrinkles except one. The problem I'm having is that the internal drives are displaying in the file lists for Videos and Music as well as in the File Manager. None of my previous XBMC builds have ever done this. I don't want them there. I want to list only the sources that I set and external drives. Let me know if an lshw and/or screenies would help. Thanks in advance.
What is the contents of sources.xml
I think it has to do with pathversion but I can't find any info that confirms or negates that assumption.

Code:
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
    </video>
    <music>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
        <source>
            <name>warfacegod</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/home/warfacegod/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>XBMC Main File Tree</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
    </files>
</sources>
(2014-01-14, 23:28)warfacegod Wrote: [ -> ]Installed Gotham dmo3 from debmultimedia repos

Don't do that, use the Ubuntu PPAs or compile from source. Debian insists on using external ffmpeg which is unsupported.
Thanks but no thanks. I'm as likely to use anything Ubuntu as stab myself in the neck. Compiling is out of the question because I'm lazy. I'll compile a kernel but I draw the line there. Wink Besides, the debian multimedia repos aren't part of Debian proper. They're maintained by someone I suspect Debian wished didn't exist. Besides the besides, I've never had an issue with it regardless of how ffmpeg is dealt with. Thanks for the heads up though.
(2014-01-15, 00:02)negge Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-14, 23:28)warfacegod Wrote: [ -> ]Installed Gotham dmo3 from debmultimedia repos

Don't do that, use the Ubuntu PPAs or compile from source. Debian insists on using external ffmpeg which is unsupported.

Debmultimedia is not debian.
http://deb-multimedia.org/dists/unstable...mc-bin.php

Quote: - libavcodec55 (>= 10:2.1.1).
- libavfilter3 (>= 10:2.1.1).
- libavformat55 (>= 10:2.1.1).
- libavutil52 (>= 10:2.1.1).

Doesn't that mean it uses external ffmpeg?

(2014-01-15, 00:13)warfacegod Wrote: [ -> ]Besides the besides, I've never had an issue with it regardless of how ffmpeg is dealt with. Thanks for the heads up though.

Good for you, but don't expect anyone to help you on the forums if you one day run into problems.
(2014-01-15, 08:42)negge Wrote: [ -> ]http://deb-multimedia.org/dists/unstable...mc-bin.php

Quote: - libavcodec55 (>= 10:2.1.1).
- libavfilter3 (>= 10:2.1.1).
- libavformat55 (>= 10:2.1.1).
- libavutil52 (>= 10:2.1.1).

Doesn't that mean it uses external ffmpeg?

Yes you seem to be correct. So now I am more confused about stuff I read on another thread. *sigh*
It's also available in the official Debian repos. Likely either contrib or non-free.

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-accepted-into-debian/

No mention of officially supported or otherwise. Only that a few things were disabled. I took from the article that the XMBC devs are glad to be included in Debian proper. Nothing more.

In any event, this is unrelated to the issue at hand.
(2014-01-15, 14:42)warfacegod Wrote: [ -> ]It's also available in the official Debian repos. Likely either contrib or non-free.

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-accepted-into-debian/

No mention of officially supported or otherwise. Only that a few things were disabled. I took from the article that the XMBC devs are glad to be included in Debian proper. Nothing more.

In any event, this is unrelated to the issue at hand.

Ancient news.... No longer relevant to current affairs... double yaouzer

This http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...rom+debian

Is up-to-date and very relevant to XBMC on debian.

As to answer your question about Linux sources showing up.... Don't add Linux directories as a source in XBMC period. If you are using such drives to store content move such content to $HOME and add that as a source only in XBMC.
Also since you use XBMC on Debian refer to my link above and ensure what you are using is from that guy rballint who is also a Debian Developer...
I didn't add the drives as sources. They showed up on their own. More specifically, XBMC put them there on it's own.

Why shouldn't I use Linux directories as sources? You're saying that have say the Music section point straight to my folder is a bad idea?

I'm not sure I follow you with putting everything in my $home. If you mean literally move all the content to /home, that's impossible. I have roughly 7 TB spread across 5 HDD's. There's no way that would fit into a puny 10 GB /home partition. If you mean (more likely) that I should either symlink or mount my HDD's to /home, that won't work either.

.01 Symlinking may increase the I/O operations on my SSD. I'm not sure about that though.

.02 I don't see how mounting to /home would change anything. I don't think it would be any different than mounting to /media which is were HDD's are supposed to be.

.03 Symlinking would likely give one of the other OS's on my computer screaming fits.
Let me make this more clear...

You can add whatever as a source to XBMC including Linux dirs.

Media containing sources should only contain the source type you are settings content to.. is all!

Now...

If you have some issue with whatever XBMC has added on its own, you have a simple solution, remove the sources.xml and add only what you want pointing to whatever you want.

As to symlinking, - use --or-- dont use - to fit your particular needs.

Hope that answer does clarify and aid you in your resolution. You may also consider consulting support for whoever is responsible for your XBMC distribution in case they modify the source code to do extra things that Default XBMC doesnt do, if any.
I think you're saying the folders I set as sources should only have one basic type of file. .mkv .avi etc. for Videos and mp3 and .flac's for Music and so on. That's what I do. I keep my files nice and tidy in separate folders. And, when possible, separate HDD's.
Essentially that's what Im saying... I already gave you reply that should help you with your "issue".
@uNiversal: If I understand OP correctly he's complaining that his sources currently look something like this:

Quote:Videos (actually "1000 GB drive")
Music (actually "1500 GB drive")
TV Shows (actually "1000 GB drive #2")
1000 GB drive
1500 GB drive
1000 GB drive

@warfacegod: if this is not the case could you please post a screenshot?
Pages: 1 2