Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Keep XBMC in focus? (on top of everything else)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

i was wondering if anyone has a script or something to keep xbmc in focus (on top of everything else)?
right now, whenever for example xvmc crashes, i get a popup that asks if i want to send the diagnostics report to Apple or not.
I am using a Harmony One, which cannot send a button press to click ok or cancel of course, so whenever this happens i have to use screen sharing on my iMac to click on it, or connect a keyboard, but thats a kind of a hassle to to each time.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I know that i can press the "1" button on the harmony to toggle full screen/windowed mode, but even when i do that xvmc won't get on top of the popup window...
Not sure, but TinkerTool for Mac OS X will let you turn off that window that asks to send Apple a report.
defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none

will remove that dialogue but generally speaking, if you press the button on the harmony which activates xbmc, it should put most other windows in the background. Otherwise there is an setting in advance settings.xml that forces xbmc above everything. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: add addvancedsetting.xml and in it put videoscreen.fakefullscreen=false.
(2014-01-18, 12:41)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure, but TinkerTool for Mac OS X will let you turn off that window that asks to send Apple a report.

Thnx, will download TinkerTool and check what is possible!

(2014-01-18, 14:21)activate Wrote: [ -> ]defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none

will remove that dialogue but generally speaking, if you press the button on the harmony which activates xbmc, it should put most other windows in the background. Otherwise there is an setting in advance settings.xml that forces xbmc above everything. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: add addvancedsetting.xml and in it put videoscreen.fakefullscreen=false.

Thanks! that must be the "Play" button then, i will try and see if it works.
Regarding the Fakefullscreen trick, i have red on the forum that this will cause black screens, so i am a little afraid to use that one!
Or is that info outdated?
I haven't tried it personally. These things can sometimes be OS, XBMC and media hardware specific.

I remember answering this for someone else a while back. What I suggested was to actually see what sort of dialogues or windows come up, and disable them. Typical ones are apps automatically downloading updates and the dialogue you've identified and the notification centre. The only thing that every supersedes my XBMC Screen are growl notifications which I want.
(2014-01-19, 01:04)activate Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't tried it personally. These things can sometimes be OS, XBMC and media hardware specific.

I remember answering this for someone else a while back. What I suggested was to actually see what sort of dialogues or windows come up, and disable them. Typical ones are apps automatically downloading updates and the dialogue you've identified and the notification centre. The only thing that every supersedes my XBMC Screen are growl notifications which I want.

I have disabled all the popups that i saw in the past, but the crash report popup couldn't be disabled in the normal settings.
I will try your solution mentioned in this thread, that should solve it.
Thnx for you help!
the com.apple.CrashReporter can be disabled with a lot of free utilities, but I think it works only on the running session.

On every new restart the CrashReporter loads again, so I guess you should make a script to kill and put the script in the Startup items (Through User Accounts Prefs)
(2014-01-21, 21:38)N.O.W.A.L.L Wrote: [ -> ]the com.apple.CrashReporter can be disabled with a lot of free utilities, but I think it works only on the running session.

On every new restart the CrashReporter loads again, so I guess you should make a script to kill and put the script in the Startup items (Through User Accounts Prefs)

The defaults command as indicated in my earlier post has had a permanent effect as I would expect it to. Even 10.8 OS software upgrades have not reset it.