Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: change EGP Current Channel By Keying in Channel Number
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please excuse me if this is possible (even via key map editing, etc.) but when I am viewing the guide, it would be convenient to key in the channel number and have the guide traverse automatically rather than having to manually scroll through my list of chamnels .

Thanks!

Rush
I asked this same question in the PVR help and Support forum here. I would very much like to see this option added to the PVR functionality also. It would make traversing my EPG so much easier as all my HD channels are in the 1000+ numbers while my standard channels are 0-500. On startup the EPG always starts at channel 2 so it takes time to get to my channels. I know I can create groups but I hate making them when typing 1000 in the EPG of my comcast box is pretty darn easy.
(2014-01-22, 00:29)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]I know I can create groups but I hate making them

You make it sound like you have to do it more than once.
Actually If I have 6 different devices running XBMC I would have to do it more than once (I think, if I'm wrong, please tell me), 6 times in fact. But, I understand, I could set it and forget it. If the idea is to make XBMC the best darn media center around, then I think this is worth requesting. I'm not an XBMC developer, and I respect their time and effort, which is why I will simply make it a request, as I think it does make things easier, and enhances XBMC.
Normally you configure groups once in the backens and it will replicate to all your clients.
yep, doing it on the backend has also the benefit to work on any client, not just XBMC. But agreed, number/sms input is a valuable addition, but has to wait for Gotham+1
(2014-01-22, 00:41)negge Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-22, 00:29)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]I know I can create groups but I hate making them

You make it sound like you have to do it more than once.

Here is my problem with groups. I'm running frodo right now and have 2 clients on my network. So I have to configure groups on both machines since it doesn't replicate the group across my clients. The other problem is comcast is constantly renumbering and rearrange the channels in my area so the groups won't work until that settles down a bit. Atleast by typing in the numbers I could get close to where I want to be in the EPG and just scroll up and down from there.
can't you manage the groups in your backend?
Thanks Negge, that's a good suggestion.
(2014-01-22, 15:29)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my problem with groups. I'm running frodo right now and have 2 clients on my network. So I have to configure groups on both machines since it doesn't replicate the group across my clients.

Like I said, configure the groups in your backend and this problem goes away.

(2014-01-22, 15:29)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]The other problem is comcast is constantly renumbering and rearrange the channels in my area so the groups won't work until that settles down a bit.

I don't know about the other backends but at least with tvheadend, a service is mapped to a channel, and the channel is part of groups. No matter what happens to the underlying service the channel <-> group mapping will be the same, so your provider can re-arrange and re-number their services however they want. So once again, if you configure the groups in your backend this problem shouldn't exist.
I'm not a coder but I would think this option wouldn't be too much to do. You probably don't have to rewrite the code for this since it already insist when watching full screen live tv.

When watching live tv, if you start to type in a new channel, a Switch to Channel window pops-up. If that same code could be used when a number is pressed in the guide menu, it could jump to channel in the EPG guide. This would also be great when go to the Channel List.

I understand the use of channel groups, but they are not a direct way of getting to desired channel without having to scroll up or down from a list. If this can be made as a option that is checked off or something that is hidden in advanced settings, that would be great.
This would really help with the WAF.
Hang in there, the suggestion is solid so hopefully one of us will find the time to implement it sooner rather than later.
this feature was requested elsewhere and is merged into mainline a while ago (2 months ago) .. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4646
I guess I should have known that :-P
Pages: 1 2