Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New build no audio - HDMI driver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, just put together my second HTPC after 2 years, but cant any audio.

Original HTPC running AMD E350M1 on windows 7, connec to Yamaha amp and then to TV, both by HDMI.

New HTPC, Gigabyte B85M HD3 (Realtel ACL887 audio), Pentium G3420 CPU, 4GB RAM, Windows 8.1, Frodo 12.2.

In audio devices under playback is Digital Audio (HDMI) High Definitio Audio Device - Not plugged in (Microsoft driver), Speakers Relatek High Definition Not plugged in (Realtek driver).

I updated drivers incl Realtek from Gigabyte website.

I,ve read the guide about windows/audio and the Intel Management Engine driver is installed.

In Frodo the audio output says error no audio device.

I guess I'm missing something obvious as its been 2 years since my first HTPC build.

It must be the HDMI driver but cant see that there is an Intel version.
How do you connect your system?
HTPC>AMP>TV all by HDMI

System works with original HTPC, but no sound with new build. Video output via HDMI works OK.
(2014-01-23, 20:43)locky Wrote: [ -> ]HTPC>AMP>TV all by HDMI

System works with original HTPC, but no sound with new build. Video output via HDMI works OK.
Do you get sound when testing in Windows control panel? Does your amp have an option to pass-thru audio to TV? If so, try turn HDMI pass-thru off in your amp. One of the guy in another thread cannot get his surround sound to work till he turn off this option. Check out for more tips in here- Simplify XBMC configurations......
...Shouldn't you test analog audio first? you can be sure your onboard audio is working...
...Maybe test your whole setup using analog and go from there. No sense of panicking for what may not be the case...
No audio on analog.

I believe it's a problem with the HDMI driver.

I've installed the latest Realtek R3.87 driver, but the it's not coming up with Realtek HDMI source.

Just installed windows 7 and have the same problem.

So struggling to work it out.

If I uninstall Digital Audio (HDMI) High Definitio Audio Device (Microsoft). it is automatically reinstalled.
OK solved my audio problem.

The HDMI audio driver is part of the Intel VGA driver, hadnt figured that or actually updated it.
For bitstreaming through HDMI, you don't need any driver other than Intel. You can download the latest driver directly from Intel- Automatically identify and find drivers....
(2014-01-24, 00:26)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]For bitstreaming through HDMI, you don't need any driver other than Intel. You can download the latest driver directly from Intel- Automatically identify and find drivers....

Just thought I'd post to say that this worked for me. After a long and frustrating search to find a solution to the "HDMI Audio unplugged in Windows 8.1" problem, I ran the Intel diagnostic program and found that one of my video drivers was out of date. I downloaded and installed the new driver and lo and behold, HDMI audio is now listed as an available option in my Sound / Playback menu. Set it as default and all works perfectly.

Thanks for the solution.