Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I disable volume control (up/down) in XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I allready tried guru meditation and of course the search function but couldn't get any hint for my problem.

As far as I've learned from other threats here in the forum, among other settings, the volume needs to stay at 100% for bit perfect audio. As I am not using XMBC volume control at all (I change the volume at my AVR) I'd like to "set" volume to a fixed 100 percent and disable the possibility of changing this inside XBMC. Is there any way to do this?

Why do I ask: Maybe you'll think "Why does this guy want to lock the volume when he claims to not change it inside XBMC at all?". Well, my problem is, that I have an iMon Display/Remote that I use in combination with an Logitech Harmony. Pressing the direction keys (up/down/left/right) somtimes results in decreasing the volume accidently.

Beside the fact, that the iMon works like a pain in the a.. , this also means that I am always losing bit perfect audio ... Confused

Any help is appreciated ...

THX,
Walter
You can probably remove the keymappings. When you use passthrough you cant use the xbmc volume anyway so in any case thers no point of disabling something you can not change... But if you want to remove the mapping would do same job so look at editing your remote.xml or keyboard xml or both idk.
@uNiversal: THX for the quick response. Removing the key mappings possible could be a solution. Can you or someone tell how I can do that with OpenElec (installed on a Intel i3 hardware).

Music is unfortunatelly not passed thrue (I wish it would be)... that is why volume control is still working when playing music files (in my case FLAC). At the moment the AVR allways shows "PCM" as the input signal, regardless what ever file I play (ripped CD, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192) everything is received as PCM. Does that allready mean, that the XBMC does not send bit perfect? How can I "see" in XBMC what it is sending to the HDMI Port?

Cheers,
Walter
Look, Use a nightly XBMC, whatever you are expecting from AAC doesn't exist as pass-trough, never worked XBMC never supported AACsync. YOu banters about and say nothing!

I would like Debug logs (wiki) and HW spec. see also AudioEngine (wiki) Setup your stuff properly when you have a clew, you need more peppy, Im trying here I understand your problem but you may be expecting unreasonable things back without provided Logs and Screeshots etc.

Keymap (wiki) is the way to go if you want to get your keymapingsorted it out. Ya, unfortuanatly you need to do some Werk! Ciao see in a while.
Any reason for being angry? Did I offend you?

The question was (and still is) whether anybody knows a way to disable the volume control in XBMC at all. A work around could possibly be to disbable the keys on the remote useing a keymap...
II always prefer a solution over a work around. If the answer to my question is: "Depends on the version" than it of course does make sense to provide more data from my setup. If the answer is no, that's not possible regardless the version one is using, than it's time to over think the workaround you provided. If the setting is suitable for almost all versions, like the audiophile setting in the advancedsettings.xml, than the info maybe is valuable for other users too.

Cheers,
Walter
Eh? I already gave you the answer (the keymaps need to be removed). Just because you didnt like the answer somehow -> or somehow misunderstand me... (Sorry if that sounded angry it really isnt) Smile
Okay, you won ..Blush. for me, removing the keys form the keyfile is not the answer to my question, but a work around the problem.

How ever, if changing the keymapping is the only way to archive my goal I'll take it. Maybe soneone can give me a hint on how to do that?

I know that I can reassign and add keys unsing the remote section ot the keyboard.xml in /userdata/keymaps .. but can I simply remove keys from the remote.xml in the (OpenElec system folder?

System: OpenElec 3.2.4 (Intel Build) running on an i3 CPU.
IR Tranmitter is iMon VFD set to MCE
The remote is Logitech Harmony with an MCE selected as the original remote
SSH as active so I can change system files if I remount /flash in read/write mode.

Can I change the systems keymap to remove the volume keys at all (how?) or is it more secure to remap the keys to somthing completely different (any suggetions are welcome).

Regards,
Walter
Look at HOW-TO:Modify_keyboard.xml (wiki) Essentially your system keymaps are overridden when userspace keymaps are added in userdata (wiki), xbmc is that smart Wink

Never said it was a solution either, I'm not sure there is one unless you go into source code etc this is the better solution... But it should do what you want < which is the important thing here.
Its also possible there is someone who has a more elegant alternative, personally this is what came to me which would solve your issue.
The only other way I can think of is to run a script periodically to put volume to max. That might put the volume osd on the screen every time it runs.
Removing the volume keys from keyboard.xml and remote.xml in the system folder works good on windows, but unfortunatelly it is not possible with OpenElec because the root filesystem is one big image and therefore is read only Sad

It might be a feature request that users can lock the volume to whatever percentage (in my case 100%) using a new advanced setting?
I guess this could be relevant for everybody wishing for bit perfect audio ...
(2014-01-23, 23:55)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Look, Use a nightly XBMC, whatever you are expecting from AAC doesn't exist as pass-trough, never worked XBMC never supported AACsync. YOu banters about and say nothing!

Wow, the only person bantering about AAC is you.

(2014-01-26, 23:14)waltermalter Wrote: [ -> ]Removing the volume keys from keyboard.xml and remote.xml in the system folder works good on windows, but unfortunatelly it is not possible with OpenElec because the root filesystem is one big image and therefore is read only Sad

It might be a feature request that users can lock the volume to whatever percentage (in my case 100%) using a new advanced setting?
I guess this could be relevant for everybody wishing for bit perfect audio ...

You want to map the volume keys to 'noop' (no operation) via user keymaps. Editing system keymaps is a PITA because they're overwritten on xbmc updates.
Not when these files are in userdata (wiki)
(2014-01-26, 23:47)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]You want to map the volume keys to 'noop' (no operation) via user keymaps. Editing system keymaps is a PITA because they're overwritten on xbmc updates.

T H A N K Y O U !!!

"Noop" realy made my day :-)
Regarding the "overwritting" at updates - Good point! I've been so busy with "how can I disable the keys" that I totaly missed the overwritting at every update ... Again, THX mate!

However, the initial idea of using keymap.xml came from uNiversal, so also a big thank you to uNiversal!

Cheers,
Walter
And if you read my previous post above yours, also resolves the overwriting problem place modified files in userdata (wiki)

Please mark thread as solved, FULL EDIT main post and select drop down by left of subject line.
Because I couldn't find a real solution I took the work around and disables all "VolumeDown" keys using the keyboard.xml.

Here is my file:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <numpadminus>Noop</numpadminus>
      <minus>Noop</minus>
      <volume_down>Noop</volume_down>
      <f9>Noop</f9>

</keyboard>
    <remote>
       <volumeminus>Noop</volumeminus>