Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HELP] New HTPC wont boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope I can get a bit of help on my problem. I'm trying to assemble an htpc to run XBMC, and I've been reading this forum for a couple of months before I arrived at my parts, and it's been extremely helpful. Here's my setup:

Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX
Processor: Pentium G2030 with stock heatsink
RAM: 2x Kingston 1GB DDR3 DIMM 1333 MHz
SSD: ADATA 32GB SATA 3
Power Supply: 85W AC to DC, 120W internal DC power board.

The motherboard is powering up with all the lights and the fan, but nothing is being outputted to the screen. I have tried both HDMI and VGA but nothing. I have also tried powering it up with no RAM, and then inserting different RAMs at different slots but no change. I have disassembled the heatsink and the CPU and all seem to have been installed correctly. The USB flash drive is lighting up as well. I have also tried to remove all storage media (SSD and flash) but nothing changes.

I've put some pictures if that helps:

This is my first build so I might have missed some basic stuff.

Thanks for your help!
try to reset the cmos and check...
you can remove the battery, wait 60 seconds,
then place it back, and try again
Check all your cable connections and make sure youve connected everything.
I've removed the battery and cleared the CMOS, waited for a a couple of minutes tried it back and still no difference.

I cant see anything wrong with the connections - 24 pin power connector, cpu power, fan, etc. The fan seems to be rotating faster when I've got the 4 pin cpu power plugged in. I suspect it might be an issue with the onboard video.
Have you got spare parts you can troubleshoot with? eg ram, psu etc Where did you buy the parts from? If its a physical shop take it into them, if its a faulty part they will probably exchange it on the spot (at least thats whats happened to me)
I do, but they dont fit into this mobo, might take it tomorrow to a shop to try different parts, especially a pci express vga.

I've bought the mobo off from ali express (the deal was very good, and there's no mini-itx available locally), but the processor and rams are from local shops. however i dont think there's anything wrong with those...
have your psu tested
I just read this on the manual: "Primary Graphics Adapter. This allows you to select [Onboard] or [PCI Express] as the boot graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI Express]."

does this mean it will only output video via the PCI, unless you change it to onboard? has anyone else tried this mobo?
Usually if there is no pcie card it will default to the onboard GPU..I haven't used that motherboard but it'd be a bit ridiculous to require a motherboard with integrated GPU to require a separate video card to set up.
yeah i doubt it, would be really weird....
however, if u have a pci card u could try just out of curiosity,,,
I did try a zotac PCIE vga card at a shop and still nothing on the screen - but I'm guessing the driver needs to be installed for it to work (?)

However I might have found the problem - RAM. The manual of the motherboard says I need to install 1600 MHz ram if i'm using an ivy bridge processor, which I am, and 1333 MHz if im using sandy bridge. I've read before that without a working ram the pc wont boot, so i hope that that is the problem.

will test and report back - thanks so far!
(2014-01-26, 08:36)Comrade Wrote: [ -> ]I did try a zotac PCIE vga card at a shop and still nothing on the screen - but I'm guessing the driver needs to be installed for it to work (?)

Not at the bios level.
So I tried a 1600 ram and still no change....I cant figure out what's wrong with this freaking thing!

Could it be a bad motherboard?
you checked you5 psu with a tester?
If your motherboard light up; chances are your PSU is fine. It sounds like you've messed up with the front panel connectors which is pretty common.

Have you double checked that all the front connectors are properly connected?

Have you check that the case fan and other fan are properly connected?

Have you make sure that nothing behind the MOBO that might cause short?

Have you make sure that there is no CPU pin bend?
Pages: 1 2